PDA

View Full Version : i have a genius business idea for somebody handy

chad
14th April 2010, 05:32 AM
so, this house i'm buying has a big ass old style tv antenna on the roof. rotary thing. completely useless now that they're phasing out analog broadcasting.

hazard to my siding, the windows under it, as well as the roof if it blows down in a storm (this is how you market it). it's also an eyesore.

how many people even use those analog antennas on their roof? i'd say very few. most people have them disconnected and use cable.

somebody could make a killing if they started a business where they went around with a truck and a ladder charging people $100 or something to remove them. there's thousands of them in every city.

you'd be a gazillionaire.

edit: even better, you could haul them away for free as an "added service" after they pay you and sell them for scrap.

too bad i am not handy.

undgrd
14th April 2010, 05:43 AM
Any chance you could use it with a ham radio?

chad
14th April 2010, 07:05 AM
no idea. :conf:

Libertytree
14th April 2010, 07:08 AM
That antenna can easily be modified to pick up digital signals.

chad
14th April 2010, 07:08 AM
how? got any links? ;D

techguy
14th April 2010, 07:10 AM
That antenna can easily be modified to pick up digital signals.

Exactly. Most of those things will pick up HD signals no problems, especially if it was a decent antenna to start with.

There are lots more free HD channels that most people think. Hooked up a basic 8 dollar set of rabbit ears to a relative's tv last week... picked up about 40 channels.

techguy
14th April 2010, 07:11 AM
how? got any links? ;D

Just hook it up to the antenna inputs of a digital ready tv.

Done deal.

If you don't have a digital ready tv, hook the antenna up to a converter box...

Horn
14th April 2010, 07:29 AM
Another idea is to string all the neighbors together & create you very own Haarp array. :rocket_hor

Book
14th April 2010, 07:32 AM
how many people even use those analog antennas on their roof? i'd say very few. most people have them disconnected and use cable.

http://www.blog.solarhaven.org/ClothesLine400.jpg

Resell them as modern motorized rooftop solar clothes driers.

:oo-->

Libertytree
14th April 2010, 07:53 AM
This is the smaller version that I made. If your tv isn't a digital ready tv you'll have to buy a converter box ($40-50) then just make the connection changes shown in this vid and you're good to go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWQhlmJTMzw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWQhlmJTMzw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chad
14th April 2010, 07:55 AM
sweet!

Ash_Williams
14th April 2010, 08:03 AM
Is digital broadcast on the same frequencies as the analog is/was? If not then it might be better to put up a different antenna on the same pole.

I never found those large things on the towers worked anyway. Back in the day I got better results with a short length of thin copper wire.

Ponce
14th April 2010, 08:05 AM
You guys are my kind of people.........the thinking type.

Libertytree
14th April 2010, 08:11 AM
Is digital broadcast on the same frequencies as the analog is/was? If not then it might be better to put up a different antenna on the same pole.

I never found those large things on the towers worked anyway. Back in the day I got better results with a short length of thin copper wire.

They're different freq's and the current array should be fine as is, w/o spending any more cash other than a converter box if needed and the simple supplies.

freedom42
14th April 2010, 08:31 AM
I get 68 digital channels off my old antenna that is in the attic.

mick silver
14th April 2010, 09:23 AM
i also get more channels then i care to see and there free ... more money you can use to pay down your loan chad

chad
14th April 2010, 09:24 AM
if ag could just go to $25 i'd sell 1,000 ounces of it and just not have a loan. come on silver, i don't close for another 30 days!

mick silver
14th April 2010, 09:27 AM
i vote to keep the silver and pay with paper