PDA

View Full Version : Scott and dumplings

RJB
14th April 2010, 09:44 AM
We had too many roosters in the chicks that were supposed to be egg layers last year. My 5 and 8 year old daughters weren't too happy about eating them. They've seen me bring home wild game, but these are pets.

In the last few weeks the roosters have been beating up the hens pretty bad. I reluctantly told my daughters that we really had to eat or give a few away-- and someone else will eat them.

The 5 year old said in her sweat innocent little girl voice, "Eat Scott, he pecks me." So Scott is plucked and cleaned and waiting in my refridgerator for tonight's dinner.

Any other parents facing eating "pets" with their kids?

Olmstein
19th April 2010, 05:35 PM
That is hilarious and horrible at the same time. Not an easy thing to do.

BTW, how was Scott?

RJB
19th April 2010, 06:01 PM
That is hilarious and horrible at the same time. Not an easy thing to do.

BTW, how was Scott?
Very tough-- he was a tough bird and was 1 year old. I actually had respect for him. As much respect as I can have for a chicken :) I had to stew him for about 4 hours to tenderize him so my daughters could eat him, but I actually like wild game over domesticated. To me it's more flavorful. Free range chickens approach wildgame.

banjo
19th April 2010, 07:06 PM
That's funny stuff.

It is one of the problems with raising your own animals, it's hard to eat something that you've named.

RJB
20th April 2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, especially the canning one.

jedemdasseine
20th April 2010, 04:00 AM
Its not hard to eat a 1000 lb beef when you spend a few hour chasing him up and down the road!

That's sig worthy! :D

I haven't a damn thing to contribute to "The Homestead," but I enjoy the information immensely.