PDA

View Full Version : Raised bed irrigation ideas

zusn
14th April 2010, 03:01 PM
Alright, so every year around this time, I see all of those drip irrigation kits hit the store shelves. There are all sorts of fittings, flow regulators, tubing, etc to make just about anything. The problem for me is, it's all made out of plastic. I would like to set up some sort of irrigation system in my raised beds, but I can't think of anything besides plastic/PVC. Any ideas?

silverblood
14th April 2010, 08:48 PM
What's wrong with plastic pipe / PVC? It's easy to work with. There's also cpvc, which is rated safe for potable water. You could also use soaker hoses.

Son-of-Liberty
14th April 2010, 10:07 PM
I don't think a tiny amount of plastic residue is going to be a problem when watering plants. The amount that actually makes it into the vegetables is going to be negligible. Bacteria in healthy soil eliminate most chemicals over time.

I plan to go with drip irrigation when I finally get the garden I want. Probably next year.

zusn
14th April 2010, 10:43 PM
I have them in my beds, with automatic timers that water twice a day. I have not been able to taste the plastic in my veggies.... :oo-->
HAHAHA, I'm not worried about tasting plastic in my food.

For me it's a issue of BPA and pthalates. Anything plastic is suspect. Anything flexible plastic is a no no for me, including hoses. (I replaced my outdoor hose with a GatorHyde hose last year. Highly recommend) CPVC deteriorates with sunlight exposure. It seems everywhere I look, there's something wrong with what I find. There has to be a solution, I just can't seem to find it.

Son-of-Liberty
15th April 2010, 12:29 AM
I have them in my beds, with automatic timers that water twice a day. I have not been able to taste the plastic in my veggies.... :oo-->
HAHAHA, I'm not worried about tasting plastic in my food.

For me it's a issue of BPA and pthalates. Anything plastic is suspect. Anything flexible plastic is a no no for me, including hoses. (I replaced my outdoor hose with
a GatorHyde hose last year. Highly recommend) CPVC deteriorates with sunlight exposure. It seems everywhere I look, there's something wrong with what I find. There has to be a solution, I just can't seem to find it.

Do you actually have a reaction or sensitivity to these chemicals or are you just being overly paranoid?

The body can handle some toxins, especially if you are eating well. Plus like I mentioned the amount that actually accumulates in the fruit and veggies will be negligible. Unless you are specifically having problems from these chemicals I wouldn't worry about it. I can understand not wanting plastic for your drinking water but I would be more worried about the chemicals already in the water, whether it is ground water, municipal, or even rain water that will be used to water the plants then a tiny amount of BPA from the hose.

I hope I put some perspective on this. You can fret over how you are going to avoid a tiny amount of chemicals or you can put in the drip irrigation and move on to dealing with more important things. Nature has this wonderful habit of purifying things for you.

Son-of-Liberty
15th April 2010, 12:49 AM
Now that I think about it. I might have heard of ceramic pipe that will drip but I don't know how available it is and it would probably break fairly easy. It might have even been some sort of traditional irrigation system. Sorry I can't really remember.

silverblood
15th April 2010, 06:28 AM
If you don't want to use plastic (the easiest solution) then use copper pipe (almost as easy). Use silver solder, which is sold in the hardware stores alongside the copper. Bury it until you get to the beds, then bring it to the surface.

Trace copper won't hurt you. Your house is plumbed in copper. Copper is also an antibacterial.

Personally, I'd use PVC and run it underground up to the beds. Much cheaper than copper.

Either way, make sure you can drain the system before the first freeze, and have a check valve to prevent siphoning back into your house water supply, just as you would with a yard sprinkler system.

gunDriller
15th April 2010, 11:28 AM
when i can time it right, i like to urinate on my plants. 8)

then there's no concern about plastics whatsoever.

silverblood
16th April 2010, 12:53 PM
Why is that? Urine is good for your plants, but it is best added directly to your compost pile. Does it do something to counter the plastics?

gunDriller
16th April 2010, 04:08 PM
Why is that? Urine is good for your plants, but it is best added directly to your compost pile. Does it do something to counter the plastics?

uh ... no ... i was just kidding. 8)

i think it's good to be aware of what you're putting on your plants. most of the time, i think the manufacturing process, which does often use mold lubricants, is fairly benign. i.e. the manufacturing residues on the hydro tubing and fittings is usually not harmful to the plants.

the person who helped me learn the most about soil was a retired soil scientist who teaches a hot composting class at the local JC. he made me realize, among other things, the connection between healthy roots and soil bacteria.

i think it is a mistake to put chlorinated water on your plants. the chlorine kills some of the bacteria that help keep your plants healthy.

usually what i do at home is keep a 5 gallon bucket, and let it sit 24 hours (the chlorine evaporates ... something like that). then water the plants.

if you're going for an irrigation system that's running out of a larger tub, e.g. 40 gallons, i don't think it's a huge big deal. if it was me i would just re-fill the tub every time after watering, so the water can sit and the chlorine can evaporate.

to deal with manufacturing residues that might be in some fresh store-bought piping, one way to deal with it is to stick the irrigation "tree" (pipes, tubes, adapters, everything) - hooked up to the water pump - in a big tub with very hot water. & let it run for a while. that will wash any crap out of the pipes.

silverblood
16th April 2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, it bothers me to put chlorinated water on my plants, but I do it anyway because I'm lazy. Some municipal water contains chloramine rather than chlorine. It doesn't evaporate out as readily as chlorine. However, you can put a half a campden tabet (readily available from homebrew and winemaking supply stores) in 20 gallons of water to instantly eliminate the free chlorine or chloramine. Campden tablets are either sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite, usually the latter. The reaction converts chlorine into chloride and the sulfite is converted to sulfate. If the water is treated with chloramines instead of chlorine, there are also a couple of ammonium ions released in the reaction.

A campden tablet (potassium metabisulfite) weighs .44 grams. Sodium metabisulfite tabs weigh .60 grams. 1/2 of a tablet (either kind) will eliminate chlorine and chloramines from 20 gallons of water. 1 tablet for 40 gallons. There are roughly 10 tablets per teaspoon, so if you are using powdered sodium or potassium metabisulfite, a scant 1/8th teaspoon will be more than enough for 40 gallons of water.

skid
17th April 2010, 09:15 PM
Alright, so every year around this time, I see all of those drip irrigation kits hit the store shelves. There are all sorts of fittings, flow regulators, tubing, etc to make just about anything. The problem for me is, it's all made out of plastic. I would like to set up some sort of irrigation system in my raised beds, but I can't think of anything besides plastic/PVC. Any ideas?

I don't know why you are worried about plastic piping. The water pipes bringing water into your house is probably plastic, along with all the mains piping. As mentioned, I'd be more worried about the chlorine...