PDA

View Full Version : 55 gal food grade barrels

EE_
16th April 2010, 04:46 PM
I picked up 3 in nice shape barrels today for $20 each
I found the guy on craigs list and he is in Ontario, CA if anyone is interested.
I am planning a rain water collection system.
I think these are a must have in the event water is ever cut off, to just provide plants with water, or even drink it if needed.
If things look start to bad, I wouldn't hesitate to fill them with tap water.
Earthquake?

BrewTech
16th April 2010, 05:51 PM
Twenty bucks is a good price if they are in useable shape... I think I paid $68 each for virgin UN grade barrels from a local Army/Navy surplus... totally worth it knowing they have never had anything in them. I picked up a few in Norco a while back for 17 each, but I plan to use that water for something other than drinking, as I couldn't be confident about knowing what was in them prior.

Good score, EE_!

Korbin Dallas
16th April 2010, 06:09 PM
There's a guy in Anaheim too, $20 bucks, and he cleans them out real well. They had soybean oil in them originally. I installed a rainwater collection system on one downspout this winter as an experiment with four barrels. I was amazed how much one storm produces, easily filling one, sometimes two barrels. I use the water for my pond and plants. I figure in a pinch, I could filter and boil to use for drinking water.

I'm thinking of adding more downspout diverters and barrels this year.

mick silver
16th April 2010, 08:58 PM
dam i am lucky ... a bud i hunt with work for a company that made cookies and when every i need the barrels he get them for me at no cost .... i have a 20 of 55 g and 10 of the 35 g

AOW
17th April 2010, 09:22 AM
I've got several for rainwater collection off of the roof for the garden and a separate one that I've filled with tap water and a little bleach for just-in-case.

Black Blade
17th April 2010, 10:39 AM
The reason for the "blue" barrels is that it blocks out spectrums of light that promote algae growth. I have only a couple 55-gal barrels myself and probably should get at least a couple more. Fortunately I have a well that I could run off the generator or perhaps some off-grid source eventually (wind-solar?). I also have the advantage of a small perennial creek that borders my one property. My other place doesn't so I have considered a cistern to store water and filter with Big Berkeys as needed. I had better get a job though so I can make the necessary improvements instead of playing around. ;)

aybesee123
18th April 2010, 12:40 PM
I picked up 3 in nice shape barrels today for $20 each
I found the guy on craigs list and he is in Ontario, CA if anyone is interested.
I am planning a rain water collection system.
I think these are a must have in the event water is ever cut off, to just provide plants with water, or even drink it if needed.
If things look start to bad, I wouldn't hesitate to fill them with tap water.
Earthquake?

That's funny, I saw the same craigslist ad. I am in Riverside, CA

aybesee123
18th April 2010, 12:42 PM
These are $20 each in Moreno Valley. http://images.craigslist.org/3na3k63od5Z15W05S1a4fd564d3b72c6313e5.jpg

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1693680503.html

Korbin Dallas
18th April 2010, 01:19 PM
These are $20 each in Moreno Valley. http://images.craigslist.org/3na3k63od5Z15W05S1a4fd564d3b72c6313e5.jpg

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1693680503.html

That seems like a great price for steel. Have you picked any up yet? I'm curious about the quality and if the product matches the picture. Could you store gasoline in them?

k-os
11th June 2010, 06:31 AM
These questions might be moot if the Gulf disaster brings benzene in the air to my house . . . but I have to prepare for if that doesn't happen as well.

I have a flat roof, and can put barrels on my roof to collect rain water for use in the garden, etc. My questions are these:

When full, is it harmful to the roof to have that much weight on it? My roof is made of solid 4x4 beams through and through, with some 8x4 support beams every 3 or 4 feet. Walls are cbs block.

Is there an ideal place to put the barrel? I am thinking it would be better to place the barrel near the edge or on a corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

the riot act
11th June 2010, 06:44 AM
These questions might be moot if the Gulf disaster brings benzene in the air to my house . . . but I have to prepare for if that doesn't happen as well.

I have a flat roof, and can put barrels on my roof to collect rain water for use in the garden, etc. My questions are these:

When full, is it harmful to the roof to have that much weight on it? My roof is made of solid 4x4 beams through and through, with some 8x4 support beams every 3 or 4 feet. Walls are cbs block.

Is there an ideal place to put the barrel? I am thinking it would be better to place the barrel near the edge or on a corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

E-mail sent.... ;)