PDA

View Full Version : Obama to fly in Russian helicopter........Marine One.

Ponce
19th April 2010, 02:57 AM
Sikorsky, Lockheed to team up on Marine One bid: reportBy: Reuters | 18 Apr 2010 | 10:56 PM ET Text Size NEW YORK (Reuters) - United Technology Corp's <UTX.N> Sikorsky Aircraft unit is teaming up with Lockheed Martin <LMT.N> to bid on a new contract for a fleet of Marine One helicopters, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing two people familiar with the details.

According the report, the two companies are expected to announce the plan on Monday. Under the plan, Sikorsky would build the helicopters and Lockheed would build the specialized systems inside the helicopters, the Journal said.

It could be at least a year until a winning bidder is named by the Pentagon, the Journal said. Other bidders are not yet known.

Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin were not immediately available for comment.

(Reporting by Michael Erman

Spectrism
19th April 2010, 04:12 AM
How is this a Russian helicopter?

Ironfield
19th April 2010, 05:37 AM
I can see where Ponce is coming from in stating that the president would be flying in Russian helicopters as the fuselage, rotary system, flight controls, flight electronics, etc would be from Sikorsky Aircraft unit whilst specialized systems provided by Lockheed Martin those would include I assume secure communications, navigation and the like.

Why they couldn’t source this to be fully built in America I’m not sure. Guess globalization and corporations undercutting the cost of its competition played a part.

-Ironfield

Apparition
19th April 2010, 07:26 AM
Isn't Sikorsky Aircraft a US company?

The founder, Igor Sikorsky, may have been a Russian immigrant but I'm sure the company is based here.

Spectrism
19th April 2010, 07:31 AM
Yes- Sikorsky is American. Main plant in Stratford CT. I am very familiar with it.

I am still trying to figure out where the Russin thing came in.

General of Darkness
19th April 2010, 07:42 AM
Regardless, but can someone photoshop 20 inch rims on the current helicopter? ;D

willie pete
19th April 2010, 07:49 AM
Have you seen AirForce One lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J2XpqKcfUE

Korbin Dallas
19th April 2010, 10:17 AM
Regardless, but can someone photoshop 20 inch rims on the current helicopter? ;D

Don't forget the spinners!

mick silver
19th April 2010, 10:20 AM
i seen were the cost double ... why cant this gov get the price stuff under control .