PDA

View Full Version : NBA player pisses away $87 million by "investing" in Detroit, among other things

AndreaGail
19th April 2010, 08:46 PM
:oo-->

http://www.bvonmoney.com/2010/04/11/nba-star-derrick-coleman-is-now-broke-87-million-up-in-smoke/

NBA Star Derrick Coleman is Now Broke: $87 Million Up in Smoke
By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Apr 11th 2010 11:54PM
According to the Bankruptcy Beat of the Wall Street Journal, former NBA superstar Derrick Coleman is now filing for bankruptcy. Coleman filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last month, owing $4.7 million dollars to his creditors. His current assets are worth about $1 million dollars, including a Bentley and $3,000 dollars in jewelry.

"Mr. Coleman was focused on investing in various communities throughout the city of Detroit by developing real estate, creating jobs and revitalizing business opportunities," said Coleman's attorney, Mark Berke. "Due to the state of the economy, including the decline in the real estate market, Mr. Coleman's investments could not be sustained."

It's not as if Coleman spent all of his dough on jewelry and cars. He owned a percentage of a Hilton Garden Suites Hotel in downtown Detroit, along with a Tim Horton's Doughnut Shop and a Hungry Howie's pizza store.

When I read about Coleman's financial problems, I first remembered that Coleman went to school at Syracuse University, where I teach in the business school. I wondered if Coleman walked out of the university with an academic degree, which might have given him a greater ability to make sound business decisions. I do know that Antoine Walker, who attended my alma mater, The University of Kentucky, was not educated by Kentucky when he was there. Antoine also went broke just this year, losing over $110 million dollars in career earnings.

I also thought about an intriguing conversation I recently had with Mark Carr, the head of Player Development for the NBA. I explained to Carr that there is a need to ensure that NBA players are getting proper training in financial literacy to manage such vast sums of wealth. Without disrespecting Carr or anyone else with the NBA, we can argue that the experiences of both Coleman and Walker imply that something more adequate might be necessary.

I wish Derrick the best, and while I am not here to be critical of Kentucky, Syracuse or the NBA, the truth is that we've got to try a little bit harder.

cigarlover
19th April 2010, 09:30 PM
So his assets are worth 1 million and he lost 86 million investing in real estate? The obvious solution is for the gov to manage his money for him. :oo-->
But seriously, whats a Hungry howies going for? Tim hortons? 100k each maybe? 250k with real estate? Not sure on the hilton but couldnt be more than 10 mil.. wheres the other 75 mil? blow and hoes?

drafter
19th April 2010, 09:31 PM
If I was going to invest in Detroit, I would have opened a few more Liquor Stores.

jedemdasseine
19th April 2010, 09:33 PM
That's over 2 metric tons of gold. :o

mamboni
19th April 2010, 09:35 PM
He should sue the University of Syracuse: he's a victim and it's their fault, obviously. :oo-->

mamboni
19th April 2010, 09:36 PM

Are you kidding: it's 2000 metric tons of pizza and donuts. :banrasta

Book
19th April 2010, 09:39 PM
http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/U/S/coleman_d.jpg

In July 2002, former NBA basketball player Derrick Coleman was arrested in his hometown of Detroit, Michigan and charged with driving under the influence after police stopped him for driving 100 mph. This wasn't his first or last arrest.

2001 - Coleman had his license revoked because he refused to take a sobriety test after an accident in October of 2001. He was eventually was acquitted of the drunken driving charges due to a mistrial.

1999 - Coleman was accused of urinating in front of patrons at Intermezzo Italian Ristorante and was charged with disorderly conduct. He pleaded no contest to a disorderly conduct charge stemming from the incident.

1997 - Coleman, along with others, were arrested and charged with interfering with a police officer's duty in Detroit. He was released on a $100 bond on the misdemeanor charge.

1988 - Coleman was charged with criminal mischief in the fourth degree and harassment He later pleaded guilty to harassment and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors.

1995 - Coleman was arrested in Detroit and charged with refusing to move his truck and swearing at a police officer. The case ended in a mistrial.

jedemdasseine
19th April 2010, 09:41 PM

:ROFL:
Living the Dream!

Neuro
19th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Well at least he still have that university education... He can have an academic carreer, get a teaching position and a modest salary while he is writing his thesis... Hmmmm... Yeah! Professor Coleman that sounds GOOD!

Where is that Pizza?

Ironfield
20th April 2010, 01:41 AM
I don’t honestly think it would have made a difference if he “invested” it in Detroit (Granted not the best idea to begin with) or not. These overpaid sports “stars” whether it is the NBA, NFL, football players (soccer for you chaps), boxers or the rest of the entertainment industry and lotto winners. They manage to go bust in an extraordinary short space of time.

I see it as a case of no self control, nor any business or financial aptitude. Easy come, easy go I guess.

-Ironfield

Awoke
20th April 2010, 03:48 AM
If I was going to invest in Detroit, I would have opened a few more Liquor Stores.

Or a crack-pipe factory....

:D

1970 Silver Art
20th April 2010, 04:14 AM
Investing $87 million in Detroit = Having a lot more money than sense.

Derrick Coleman is no different than any other "investor" that invested in something that lost of all his money. The only difference is the amount of money that was lost in a bad investment. Just because Derrick Coleman had millions of dollars back then, does not mean that people like Coleman are immune to losing everything.

RJB
20th April 2010, 04:20 AM
A lot of people high up in sports rob sportstars blind. The Don King / Mike Tyson relation stands out in my mind.

I bet a good chunk of that 87 million is in a "financial advisor's" pocket right now.

1970 Silver Art
20th April 2010, 04:26 AM

That will also buy a lot of orange juice. ;D

Besides the fact that he had a lot more money than sense, It still just baffles me that anyone would invest any money in a dying city.