PDA

View Full Version : How will you deal with your starving neighbors?

cigarlover
19th April 2010, 11:58 PM
As others have mentioned in other threads, the neighbors are going to notice that your not losing weight like they are. They arent stupid and eventually are gonna come knocking looking for food for the 3 kids and themselves. So whats the plan to deal with them? How are you going to protect those gardens outside? The food preps inside?

bkfm
20th April 2010, 12:10 AM
Shoot them and add them to your food preps.

Ironfield
20th April 2010, 02:53 AM
^^ might be pushing Rule #4 there buddy. Nor is it a very constructive first post.

How would I deal with neighbors in the SHTF scenario? We’ll thankfully we’re fairly insular in that regard as we live in a fairly large city. As such we’re not too neighborly with those around us. I am currently building up preps for me and my own and whilst it maybe a heartless outlook when the SHTF no one else will be looking to give me a freebie.

We also have a standalone villa which has 8 foot concrete and cinder block walls and corrugated iron gates. Which helps in the a fore mentioned event and makes Bugging in a more ideal choice.

Home security is slightly light though as firearms are banned for non locals and heavily controlled for those who can legally obtain them. I do have 3 dogs as an early warning system as well as being good for home defense and great companionship.

I guess to summarize: those seeking aid that failed to prep and are unknown to me will be meet with a firm but polite no, stating that we are all in dire circumstances. Failure on their part to accept this would be met with my doors closed and if they break in or force their way onto my property and threaten my family’s existence well see rule 4.

-Ironfield

Saul Mine
20th April 2010, 06:22 AM
Why do you assume a hypothetical situation that is so hard to deal with? Are you actually trying to prepare along those lines, or just trying to start a discussion about an impossible mission? If you think people might actually be starving at some point, maybe it would be appropriate to persuade community leaders to stockpile some food for the purpose. Start with churches - they do that sort of thing all the time. Or maybe you can prepare a foraging class which you can teach at an appropriate time. Since you are aware of the need before it becomes urgent, you are the perfect person to do that.

How about your assumption that starving neighbors are going to try to steal your preps? If you think that is a real possibility, I would say you need new neighbors. But why is that the only possibility you consider? Very few Americans would try to steal your stuff themselves, preferring to send uniformed goons to do the deed for them. If that happens, it would further confirm that you need new neighbors and should have made your move a long time ago.

This is not a new question. It was asked of Brigham Young when the Mormons arrived in Utah. He said "Better to feed them than to fight them," and the Mormons never had any trouble from the Utes. Other pioneers tried to fight the local tribes and life was much more difficult for them.

One thing about hard times is you either get along with your neighbors or they will get along without you.

k-os
20th April 2010, 06:32 AM
I feel like I would feed my neighbors until the food ran out. Of course, you never know what you are going to do in any situation until it is upon you. I don't think life would be very enjoyable living in a world where I'd have to choose between my life and the life of a friend. We have a tight knit community here, and I love some of my neighbors (more like family), and most of the rest I like very much.

I am sure if I had other people depending on me, my answer would be different.

Oh - anyone taking food from me would have to work for it (cooking, gardening, home repair, defense).

Book
20th April 2010, 06:50 AM
As others have mentioned in other threads, the neighbors are going to notice that your not losing weight like they are.

http://www.phocabulary.com/words/emaciated.jpg

Compliment them on their fashion-model physique and tell them that your whole family suffers from a rare glandular problem and slow metabolism. Tell them how much us fat people have ALWAYS envied them...like now. Remind them how they made fun of you and called you "fatty" in school. Leave these laying around:

http://antidieter.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/diet-books1.jpg

:)

bkfm
20th April 2010, 09:15 AM

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Seriously, if I knew that time was short, I would probably stuff my clothing so as to look bigger than I am, Then gradually remove it at approximately the same rate the neighbors are losing weight. I do have some canned milk That I would probably leave on the neighbors doorstep one night for their little one. Other than that, I would probably just stay indoors with my two boys.

Saul Mine
20th April 2010, 05:27 PM
I don't want to name names, but some people are thinking in terms of movie scripts. I have asked on a few forums what exactly people mean by "TSHTF". that is, what conditions do they anticipate and what is the event that identifies the start. Nobody knew. Nobody had any idea what they were actually preparing for. So they slid back into the old habits, talking in cliches and dreaming about scenarios.

You just can't assume that TSHTF will correspond to your hobby. Gun collectors assume it will be a firefight, campers assume life in the wilderness, gardeners assume they will have to eat their own produce, weekend warriors assume they will have to sneak through bushes, etc. If you only foresee one possibility, it is sure to be the wrong one.

As for me, I say TSHTF begins when all your preps are lost or destroyed. But I might be wrong.

old steel
20th April 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm buying a backhoe. There are going to be lots of dead bodied to bury and someone's got to do it.

If it gets too bad we will head out to the east farm and ride it out. Grandpa showed me the location of a well there that always had good drinking water. It's covered over now so i will have to dig a bit to get to the water again.

Son-of-Liberty
20th April 2010, 11:02 PM
I don't see any reason to be devious about it. I am well fed now and plan to be well fed if TSHTF.

I like K-os's idea about getting some work out of whoever you are giving food to and while you are being generous you can inform them that any attempt to steal or use violence to get food will be dealt with harshly.

It wouldn't be too hard to stock up on some really cheap long lasting food that you plan to just give away for this purpose. I already have some beans, lentils and wheat that I bought for next to nothing and will likely never have to use myself.

I doubt this will be a problem in my area since I will be moving into a farming community in the next two weeks. Most of my neighbors are farmers and they like myself will have there own food production. Many of them are more geared for large scale beef or grain farming but I plan on having a wide variety of crops and animals. They likely would enjoy some variety and I could trade fruits/vegetables/chickens etc for feed.

gunDriller
21st April 2010, 07:43 AM
share with some of them. ignore the others.

starving neighbors are your first line of defense against burglars etc.

i think it's generally a good practice to stay on good terms with them.

22nd April 2010, 10:49 AM
If neighbors come knocking then the government has quit feeding everyone. Gangs would have taken over any remaining food warehouses and maybe in fire fights with the government over those resources (they'll steal from anyone). If I knew how long all that would take then I could estimate whether or not I'd have a problem with the neighbors. :-\

Ponce
23rd April 2010, 11:05 PM

Extra food for my cat......

JTM3
24th April 2010, 08:52 AM
I would keep a few months worth of food and preps for charity. Give them a few weeks worth of food and some seeds.

Merlin
28th April 2010, 07:19 PM
Wasn’t it Genghis Khan who said something like, “Keep an enemy at your gate even if you must feed him”? If you would feed your enemy because he kept you on your toes, would you do less for your neighbor?

Phenix Pawn
3rd May 2010, 08:03 PM
If you can, some how, retain some extra dry bulk, such as rice. You WILL end up helping others or they will HELP THEMSELVES.

Big Man, got gun...me too, except I have no kids and no mind.

Beat or kill me huh?

More will come, many more...starving

Forget the tough routine, this ain't "The Road Warrior"

Help your local militia.

No militia? If it hit the Fan, you WOULD FORM ONE!

WORK TOGETHER-BEST DEFENSE

Many GUNS - BEST OFFENSE

AND ANOTHER TIP

JUST BECAUSE SOME PERSON (RIGHT NOW) IS NOT "YOUR PEOPLE" DOESN'T MEAN THAT IF IT HIT THE FAN, THAT THIS WOULD NOT CHANGE.

""John Q Law and I have some contrasting policy views, BUT, if givin a choice, I would welcome Mr. Law for his Skills, knowledge, experience, and of course markmenship!" notes Mr. Fish.

Maqke Cents 2 U?

well, I have tried...

COMMUNITY