PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun technique to reduce recoil

platinumdude
20th April 2010, 05:49 AM
When I was researching the knoxx stock recoil absorber, I found that there a technique to reduce the recoil. Some probably know that here, but I will post it to see if there are any comments on it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/controlling_heavy_recoil.htm

.........What I did when I shouldered his rifle was to use isometric exercises to control the heavy recoil forces of the rifle. I took a firm grip on the fore stock with my right hand (I am left handed, so you right handed guys just need to substitute right for left, and left for right to understand this), and PUSHED FORWARD on the stock to cause the muscles in my forearm, upper arms, and shoulder to tense. I then PULLED on the wrist of the stock with my left hand, with which I would squeeze the trigger, hard enough so that the wrist was locked, and the muscles in my arm and shoulders were under tension. That created a line of muscles that were pulling against each other from the wrist of my right hand up the right arm, across my shoulders, and down the left arm to the wrist of my left hand.

When I fired the gun, my entire upper body rocked back at the waist, so it was not just my left shoulder taking the force of recoil. This was caught on film, as my friend had been recording club members shooting his rifle. The camera was set-up on the right side and behind the shooter, so that he didn't notice the camera. The camera angle was good enough to catch the shooters' right shoulders being violently pushed back in recoil, and it showed the faces of the right handed shooters when they lifted their heads to complain about the recoil. Since I was shooting left handed, with my back to the camera, you see my shoulders move together when taking the recoil.

This kind of stance can be used with powerful rifles and shotguns shooting slugs. This is not a shooting technique taught in the military, or in any other shooting school of which I am aware. However, it works. Since you are likely to be shooting heavy game at fairly short distances, say less than 100 yards, this "push-pull" grip technique can be effectively employed to place a bullet into the kill zone of the animal. It Is not a shooting stance or technique to use to win target matches...........

From Youtube a demo of doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4