PDA

View Full Version : Community Protests Kroger Closing

randymatt
21st April 2010, 08:45 AM
Community Protests Kroger Closing

By Peggy O'Farrell • pofarrell@enquirer.com • April 19, 2010

Kroger's decision to close its Roselawn store could hurt residents' health over the long haul, some community activists argue.

Those activists, including the Center for Closing the Health Gap and the Southern Christian Leadership Council Fred Shuttlesworth Chapter, are organizing an April 29 community meeting about the store closing and the issue of "food deserts" in Cincinnati. The meeting will start at 6 p.m. with a tentative location of Woodward High Career Technical High School, 7005 Reading Road, Roselawn.

Kroger announced Friday that the Hillcrest Shopping Center store will close Sunday, leaving Roselawn without a supermarket. Company officials blamed a loss of more than $1 million last year at that store, and an eroding customer base.

But Dwight Tillery, CEO of the Center for Closing the Health Gap in Avondale, said profit shouldn't be the only issue when basic services are at stake.

"What we're looking at here is a pattern of major grocers are abandoning the inner city neighborhoods which happen to be primarily minority people and poor people and elderly people," Tillery said. "This has to be more than, 'We're not meeting our bottom line,' because food, like water, is essential to the health and wellbeing of our residents. You're losing something that is very critical to people's survival."

Obesity and related health problems are higher in neighborhoods where people don't have access to fresh fruits and vegetables, Tillery said.

Tillery cited research showing that African-American neighborhoods are less likely to have supermarkets than white neighborhoods, and the convenience stores that serve those neighborhoods charge higher prices for less nutritious food.

Rachael Betzler, a spokeswoman for Kroger, said the company will offer free bus tokens for customers of the Roselawn store who switch to their nearby Norwood or Hartwell stores.

She cited the store's profit loss, as well as company data showing that 75 percent of customers at the Hillcrest store have already started shopping at other Kroger stores.

But not everyone can get to a bus, said Patricia Milton, president of the Avondale Community Center, and it's not easy to bags and bags of groceries on the bus itself or carry them home from the bus stop.

"Do you know how difficult it is to bring home enough groceries for a family on the bus?" Milton asked. "It's not a good thing."

Avondale, a neighborhood of about 16,000 which borders Roselawn, doesn't have a supermarket. "It means no options or very few options for healthy foods," Milton said.

Asked if Kroger would send a representative to the community meeting, Betzler said she'd just learned of it, and added, "We haven't been invited."

Cincinnati Councilman Cecil Thomas wants to hear from residents at the April 29 meeting. He also plans to bring up the food desert issue before the council's Quality of Life Committee.

He and Edith Thrower, of the Southern Christian Leadership Council (SCLC) Fred Shuttlesworth Chapter, also want to explore options for bringing another grocery store to Roselawn.

Thrower said her first choice would be to appeal to Kroger to keep the store open.

But, she added, "I'm all for self-empowerment. There are other options. Maybe we can open our own grocery store."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100419/NEWS01/4200358/1055/NEWS/Community+protests+Kroger+closing

Ponce
21st April 2010, 08:56 AM
The one and only store in my Micky Mouse of a town will never closed down because they simply keep on increasing the price of everything......I for one only buy my milk and bread there and the bread has gone up from $2.25 to $2.85 in three weeks.........I simply go to the BIG town every two weeks to buy what ever I need.

madfranks
21st April 2010, 09:51 AM
"What? You can't close your store, I need it. You're just a greedy capitalist who doesn't care about me, me me me, I need you to bring me things, I'll petition the government to force you to stay open, all you care about is profit, but I'm more important than you, I'm entitled to your grocery store, it's my right that you build, service and maintain a store to provide me food, water and medicine, waaah, waaah, big brother, help, help, the mean profit loving store owner is taking away my store, waaah waaah!"

big country
21st April 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm all for self-empowerment. There are other options. Maybe we can open our own grocery store

She solved her problem in the last statement she made.

Sounds like business opportunity to me! Just because kroger can't turn a profit doesn't mean a fruit stand or vegetable stand or store with lower overhead (IGA?) couldn't!

Book
21st April 2010, 10:13 AM
"What we're looking at here is a pattern of major grocers are abandoning the inner city neighborhoods which happen to be primarily minority people and poor people and elderly people," Tillery said. "This has to be more than, 'We're not meeting our bottom line,' because food, like water, is essential to the health and wellbeing of our residents. You're losing something that is very critical to people's survival."

http://www.justiceandhumanity.com/looters.jpg

Can't imagine why Kroger might want to leave the 'hood...

:oo-->

zusn
21st April 2010, 11:56 AM
Company officials blamed a loss of more than $1 million last year at that store, and an eroding customer base.

But Dwight Tillery, CEO of the Center for Closing the Health Gap in Avondale, said profit shouldn't be the only issue when basic services are at stake.

"What we're looking at here is a pattern of major grocers are abandoning the inner city neighborhoods which happen to be primarily minority people and poor people and elderly people,"Hey Dwight buddy, you don't use your brain very often eh? A business LOST a cool million in one year. Can you operate a business with such wonderful financials? And this pattern you speak of. Do you think it is some sort of conspiracy against inner cities by the major grocers? Let me know when you find the common link. I'll give you a hint, most grocery stores like to operate in places where they don't need to have 2 loss prevention officers for every customer. Crap, let me give you another hint, poor people make terrible customers! And the elderly? What does that have to do with anything? Are you saying they are helpless?

dysgenic
21st April 2010, 12:22 PM
Here is the issue: If you have trillions to line the pockets of wealthy bankers, you also have a few million to subsidize inner city grocery stores. Furthermore, in today's day and age with towns offering businesses all kinds of ridiculous incentives (tax breaks, full payroll remittance for years, etc), I can understand their argument. Their tax dollars already go to support businesses in their communities that they don't want or need. If you are gong to force people to pay for unwanted businesses through excessive taxation, it seems reasonable to me for them to demand that some of those funds get diverted to businesses that they want and need.

dys

Ponce
21st April 2010, 12:25 PM
When I used to have my ow business I just to tell my whole sale buyers......" I am in business to make money, if you cannot make money they you are in the wrong business"

Defender
21st April 2010, 12:59 PM
Of course, it's there in black & white: "The right to life, liberty, and choice of shopping."