PDA

View Full Version : Bokashi by Skid

skid
21st April 2010, 08:57 PM
As mentioned in the previous Bokashi thread, I thought I'd try a variation on the process.

I tried my own method of Bokashi. The Japanese way is to use rice bran with EM (effective micro-organisms) to sprinkel over the kitchen waste in a compost bucket to hasten the compost action and get rid of the smell.

Not having access to rice bran, I reasoned that peat moss being a high carbon brown would work equally well. I have a fairly large compost bucket, with a charcoal filter on the top. Probably holds a gallon and a half of compost.

I put an inch or so of peat moss on the bottom to soak up the slimy juice that normally collects there. Then I added 2-3 inches of kitchen green waste (banana peels, apple cores, broccolli sprouts, coffee grounds, etc.), followed by and inch or two of peat moss, and so on till the bucket was filled.

I just emptied it out, which is normally a very disagreeable task. Normally it stinks, is all slimy at the bottom, but when I emptied it there was an earthy aroma instead of a dead rotten aroma. When the bucket was empty it smelled earthy inside.

Instead of washing out the bucket, I just put an inch or so of peat moss in the bottom, and plan on filling it again. I figure if there is good bacteria in there, why wash it out?

Seemed to work good for me, and it follows the rules of good composting by mixing greens and browns somewhat evenly. Give it a try and see if it works for you..