PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Chile

MarketNeutral
23rd April 2010, 11:17 AM
A 5.9 magnitude earthquake on Friday shook the south-central swathe of Chile heavily damaged by a devastating February quake, but there were no immediate reports of damage.

Residents in Bio-Bio region were awakened by the quake that lasted 25 seconds, Radio Cooperativa reported. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a magnitude of 5.9 and struck at 6:03 a.m. (1003 GMT) 41 miles (66 km) south of the south-central city of Concepcion, which was ravaged by a massive 8.8-magnitude quake on Feb. 27.

The USGS initially had reported the quake at a 6.1 magnitude. Chile's navy ruled out the possibility of a tsunami. "I have no reports of damage to infrastructure or (injuries) to people," Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter told Radio Cooperativa. "I hope this is the last of the aftershocks that seismologists warned might come after the Feb. 27 quake." February's quake and ensuing tsunamis killed hundreds of people and tore up roads and towns. It caused an estimated $30 billion in damage to infrastructure, homes, industry and lost productivity.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/127202727848.htm

Ponce
23rd April 2010, 11:20 AM
What the hellllllllll is going on, we even had two of them in Cuba.......something that never happened before........I think that the gringos are trying to sink the island in order to "save" us.