PDA

View Full Version : new to me toys cz vz.82

Mouse
23rd April 2010, 11:03 PM
I got these through SOG for 189 each. Both came with two mags, cleaning rod and paddle holster. I was hoping to get the leather holster and the mag holder, but this is what came. They are in overall good+ condition, typical holster wear and a couple chips in the paint on the slide. They were really greased up. I cleaned them out and checked them good before playing with them.

Ran two mags through each one, no problems. As for accuracy, people rave about these guns. I don't know and I am not that great a shooter. I was pushing groups to the left consistently. I need to get some more practice time with these. Both felt to be interchangeable in terms of performance (I sucked with both of them about equally). I was shooting about 15 yards. Then it started pouring rain and had to come in.

Overall very happy with the purchase - two good reliable handguns for all in about $450.

I plan to use these for CCW and I am not what kind of holster would be recommended. I am wondering if the holsters that came with it might be rigged up to be IWB. I will try running around the property with the OWB holsters supplied and see how that works for now. I think I might get a crossbreeds IWB and try that. I have never CCW, just sometimes run around with a .22 on the property in case of varmints.

I will probably tear down one of these and refinish it, and leave the other stock. Nice guns, great price. More training required for the end-user.

Good day for toys...

big country
24th April 2010, 05:37 PM
SOG = Southern Ohio Gun?

Black Blade
24th April 2010, 10:51 PM
SOG = Southern Ohio Gun?

The current deals on CZ-82 are Southern Ohio Gun (SOG), AIM Surplus and Classic Arms. I have several as they are a screaming bargain right now. The other bargain handgun is the Tokarev (Romanian and Polish).

Black Blade
25th April 2010, 07:55 PM
What I really like about the CZ-82 is that it is easy to strip and clean off the paint and then either do a cold blue or parkerize a new finish. Then add some Marschal grips.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/CZ-82CBLUE-2.jpg

Cold Blue (Birchwood Casey)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/CZ-82park1FS.jpg

Parkerized (Brownells)

Can't beat the price for an inexpensive top notch firearm.

Mouse
26th April 2010, 12:04 AM
Good tips, BB. Thanks!

I am not interested in spending hours fully tearing down a perfectly working firearm, but I would like to goose one of these up some. Here's my plan, let me know if there are major holes in it.

Both of these have good blue on the trigger gaurds and pretty much blemish free on the paint or powdercoat on the frames. The wear is all on the slides.

I plan to take the one with the worst wear on the slide and strip it, then I can do a couple things, depending:

1. I strip it and polish it and clearcoat it
2. Strip it and cold blue

The metal underneath where the wear is and the chips by the serial number is not rusted at all. Do you know if the metal the slides are made of is corrosive at all? It honesly reminds me of a hotwheels car with some paint coming off.....I was thinking I could strip it and polish the crap out of the slide, clearcoat it so it won't corrode, and just put the slide back on. The frame and all have vg+ on the black finish. Just get some grips and that would be a nice looking gun.

I have seen a few (might even be yours) online that people refinished that look just awesome. Your ones posted look great too.

Thanks again

Black Blade
26th April 2010, 12:36 AM
Not sure about clearcoat. Never tried that myself. I have also Duracoated some before tho. The easist might be to just strip the paint and use a cold blue. I just field stripped and went from there:

Cold Blue

I essentially disassembled the guns and stripped the old paint with "Zip-Strip", rinsed, cleaned off stray paint with 280 grit sand paper and super fine 0000 steel wool. Then I degreased the gun and used rust/blue remover, rinsed and then repeated with the degreaser. Finally I blued the guns with a liquid blue (Birchwood Casey) and worked the metal with more super fine 0000 steel wool to even the bluing over the metal surfaces, rinsing with cold water after each application. I repeated the bluing application process a few times until darkened (and it will darken or cure more after its done and as is sits overnight). Finally wipe off any spots and oil the surfaces lightly to bring out the finish. It actually came out close to the darkness I got with the bead blasted and parkerized finishes on my other guns but with a slightly reflective patina finish. Finally reassemble the slide to the frame and put on the grips. After two years these guns look as good as they did back then.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/fb516a10a023143d93097408513dfa3359ac656c.pjpg

Blued CZ-82 with checkered Wattle with clear shallac red finish Marschal grips.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/d1c36e811abaaf402a8319453c839fc4b19f68d5.pjpg

Blued CZ-82 with Padauk, clear shellac finish, checkered Marschal grips.

Tinman
26th April 2010, 04:30 PM
If you have a C&R, Century has CZ82's on sale occasionally and usually has free shipping if you buy 3 handguns.

CDNN has belt holsters http://www.cdnninvestments.com/czholsters.html
and mag pouches http://www.cdnninvestments.com/magpouches.html

CDNN has mags for $30. I haven't seen cheap mags anywhere.

Mouse
1st May 2010, 02:21 AM
stripped them down with paint remover and polished them. I have differing sources saying they will and won't rust. I have had one stripped and polished for over a week sitting around and it looks fine. I did paint stripper and wire brush, then polished on a buffer wheel what I wanted polished. You can't get anything close to a mirror finish due to machining and die cast, a brushed aluminum is about the best you will get without killing yourself. If these start showing any signs of corrosion, it will be cold blue time. I will probably do that anyway. There is something to this alloy they use, it really doesn't seem to rust.

Some people have posted that they did this treatment and it is fine, no corrosion.

dunno. will see. I like it for now.

da da ding....

I Polished some Czech guns.......