PDA

View Full Version : 44 years old, 20 lbs heavy = Want to walk 55 miles in 18 hours within 2 months

ruprick
25th April 2010, 10:43 AM
This is an posting in process - sit tight for my edits to finish it.

Most everyone here knows me from GIM.

I just turned 44. I've bee 20 - 30 lbs too heavy for the past 15 years.....like most, it has been building over time.....I've never dieted....just eat whatever and as much as I want my entire life.

For the past few months - I really have not been dieting - just eating less.....and amazingly in about 1 month you end up eating a bunch less.

I graduated HS in top physical shape of just under 200 lbs....I'm about 5'9" perhaps 5'10" and a very stout/stocky build - big legs, arms, etc. - this will give you an idea where my ideal size/weight is compared to where I am right now.

I'm pretty active outdoors....but no honest exercise.

I peaked on weight around the start of the year at 227 lbs.....honest guess - 35lbs perhaps ever 40 over ideal weight. In the past few months - no real diet effort....I'm at 205 right now....and looking in the mirror - I can't see that I'm any lighter....my fat was spread all over the place...with extra on belly and man-boobs.

The next 20 lbs will be very easy to see....at 185 lbs, I'd be pretty light as I still have some big arms and legs with muscle.

Anyway - I'm looking for advise on if it is feasible to walk about 55 miles within the next 2 months. I currently do not walk at all. I did 2 miles the other morning at a 4 mph pace....this looks to be no real issue......but I'll need to get into good enough shape to walk 55 miles.

I plan on doing it around the longest day of the year to have maximum daylight. I'm in Michigan. End of June/early July I'll have just about 18 hrs of light.....I can leave my place in the dark at 3:30AM....and it gets solid dark by about 10:30PM.....thats a 19 hr window to cover 55 miles.

Target 4 mph = 14 hrs of solid walking.....5 hours of resting, eating, bathroom, checking feet, etc. If I can do the endurance - the length of day seems reasonable.

Question - can I go from no walking to 55 miles in just 2 months?

This will be on public roads....targeting mostly very rural.....dirt shoulders......some sidewalks for about 20% of the trip. I'll go through several small towns...places to get water and some food, bathroom....will carry a small bookbag/back pack with basic stuff.

Any folks with experience at this stuff?

Looking for thoughts and advise.

Why do it - just to say I did it - and it looks to be about the extreme of wht I can reasonable reach at this point in my life.

Some people walk 100 miles in 24 hrs - but they are well conditioned for such a task.

I just need to do 55 miles in one day.

I've got a brand new $100 pair of running shoes.

This may be the pre-training for a local 10 mile run race as well in late summer.

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 11:05 AM
Ruprick,

I am about your age and according to standard charts and tables I would be considered at least 10-15 lbs over weight, but like you, I have a stocky build so you would have a hard time believing that I am that "over weight". I stay in good shape, I workout regularly, and for the most part I wouldn't say that I diet, but I am careful about what I eat. However, at holiday, weekends with friends, or at business events I don't spare food or drink. I do try to stay away from softdrinks, juices and sugary "stuff". I also drink lots of (filtered) water.

Good luck, if your happy with where your at, who cares.

EDIT: Get a heart rate monitor, I like the Polar ones, and a good chest strap transmitter. The key is to get into and keep, in a target heart-rate zone for max fat-burn/wieght loss. It might surprise you that most folks get their heart rate too high and shift away from low heart-rate fat-burning metabolism.

1970 Silver Art
25th April 2010, 11:07 AM
Welcome to Gold-Silver.US Ruprick. :)

If the weather is not bad, I usually walk to and from work. I walk 1 mile to work and 1 mile back home. Two miles total a day if I do not do any additional walking later in the evening. I am not overweight (yet) but I have started walking a lot more now. I am doing some extra walking beyond the walking that I do when I go to and from my job. I do my extra walking during the evening. My evening walks last for between 90 minutes to 2 hours at a very fast pace and I do that 2 to 3 days out of the week. For me, walking helps me lower my stress level and it increases my mental energy levels as well as keep me physically healthy. I still have room to improve on my diet but I will get there.

I think that you will reach your goal. You have to believe in yourself and slowly build up to walking the distance goal that you have set for yourself.

Good luck with your walking goal. :)

ruprick
25th April 2010, 11:29 AM
General health and fitness and looking better are all side benifits.....I mostly want to see if it sounds feasible to cover 55 miles in a day....just 2 months away.....starting from 44 yo "Human Veal" status.....I sit at a desk over 12 hrs a day.....zero exercise.

I mow the lawn + my neighbors = 1.5 hrs a week of walk-behind-mower. In the fall I'm building blinds and humping shit around the forest - some fairly active days....but no real exercise.

Looking for ideas on food, drink, clothing, sox, etc.

I've got pretty big thighs (not quite Earl Campbell) - how to prevent chaffing of thighs? In 55 miles - that is a lot of sweat - might you need to take a rage an wipe off some ot the salt.....

I know very little.

hoarder
25th April 2010, 11:34 AM
I wish I was still 44. Four miles an hour is a bit much. Just normal hiking with some terrain I usually allow 20 minutes per mile.
If I were you I'd concentrate on a healthy diet and try for 30 miles a day...then go from there.

If I had known I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of my health. We ingest so many toxins that our grandparents didn't have to deal with. As you age you will have to become more aware of them.

Don't wear cotton socks on long hikes unless you like blisters.

MarketNeutral
25th April 2010, 11:36 AM
Buy a larger dog that requires a lot of walking. That will get you motivated and the walk goes by really fast (especially according to the dog).

Also, it builds a relationship with the dog that will want to protect you more.

freedom42
25th April 2010, 11:39 AM
ruprick: I'm built just like you. 5-11 and big framed, or as my likes to say 'round chested'. :-\

I was 215 when I was playing semi-pro football then dropped to 205 for years. The last 5 or so years I started working out to remove the 'good life' flab.

I will either walk 4 miles a day or do 4 miles on the treadmill. Bought some weights and work them just for tone, as I no longer need to build muscle. I think I eat well, and don't try to loose weight, but I can't get below 185-88 without starving myself, so I'm content there at that weight.

I think that 55 miles in 18 hrs might be a stretch, but not impossible to do. Leg cramps will no doubt be the villain. Stay hydrated, and keep some pure potassium/salt handy in case of cramps.

freedom42
25th April 2010, 11:42 AM
Buy a larger dog that requires a lot of walking. That will get you motivated and the walk goes by really fast (especially according to the dog).

Great advice MN. That is what the wife does. She walks the dog every evening without fail. Heck sometimes I even tag along. But it is her dog, and I don't forget that, ever.

MarketNeutral
25th April 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm 7'1" 273 - they don't make charts my size. ;D

willie pete
25th April 2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome aboard Ru, I'd say like everything else involved with endurance, start off slow and build up; why specifically do you want to do 55 miles in day? why not make the up coming goal 30-35 miles? that'll give you a good 8 hour day of walking, I use to walk every morning for an hour, I'd walk by time not distance, but towards the end I was probably covering close to 4 miles, you gotta build up to it, in fact I'd say 2 months isn't enough time to build up to doing 30-35 miles, Not that it can't be done, but you may push your body to an extreme (possible injury)

MarketNeutral
25th April 2010, 11:50 AM

Great advice MN. That is what the wife does. She walks the dog every evening without fail. Heck sometimes I even tag along. But it is her dog, and I don't forget that, ever.

I get 6 Shepherds they motivate me because they remind me it is time to get outside and walk for a couple miles. 3 times a day for 2 miles a trip, 3 miles when the weather is really nice. The look on their face when I say "walk" is priceless, the movement of their tails could cause a tornado to form.

SeekYeFirst
25th April 2010, 12:01 PM
Go for it. You have to start pushing now though. I am smaller than you but with big thighs also. I rarely have a chafing issue, but the salt/sweat does bother me sometimes. I change my shorts during the day when I am riding my bike and it is hot. The weather on the longest day will make the difference. If it's a scorcher, it is hard to keep enough salts in.
Going long distance takes training for your muscles. They have to be able to recover during the trip. It's frustrating when no matter how much you eat or drink during the trip, your muscles just won't move anymore. You should be able to make your goal or close in two months. Like some of the others mentioned, maybe go for amount of time walked and not distance. Make it fun though and walk to a cool eatery and some other interesting stuff.
When I was training, I would run behind the lawnmower. Jogging just a little bit will bring your average speed up. I turned 35 half an hour ago :oo-->

Jenna
25th April 2010, 12:07 PM
I don't know if any of this is helpful for your situation, Ruprick, but I'm about 5'9" and 128 lbs and have always kept a slim physique through walking / hiking. Research shows an hour of walking every day is one of the best forms of exercise, and it's incredibly relaxing to me.

I maintain relatively lithe by hiking, yoga and lots of green tea and water. Actually can't stand the taste of soda (with the exception of root beer - a rare treat). In the summer I hike for at least an hour every day and if the weather is terrible, I'll bundle up and hit the pavement around my neighborhood. I don't know how guys feel about yoga but it's one of the best ways for me personally to detoxify.

So in a given day I'll do a nice walk, with 45 minute of yoga/light stretching before bed, eat very light meals only until I feel satiated, and I also tend to nibble on different things scattered throughout the day instead of gorging on three large meals.

And at some point I am going to invest in a very large dog for companion/safety reasons when I want to veer off the beaten path a bit more.

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 12:17 PM
Hey Ruprick,

This was an interesting article from my hometown paper about a guy who walked across America...

http://thedailynewsonline.com/articles/2010/04/17/lifestyles/6657788.txt

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th April 2010, 01:09 PM
Greetings Ruprick,

I also enjoy walking and hiking but I have never done it for 19 hours straight before. I think if you start with 30 minute a day and slowly increase up to several hours a day, I see no reason why you will not eventually meet your goal. The body remembers how to get into shape and it will happen quickly for you.

Also this may be a bad suggestion because it costs $$, but my favorite cardio is the rowing machine. The rowing machine is a strong leg, core, back and arms workout, and as good as running, but with no impact whatsoever.

http://www.toprowingmachine.com/images/Concept%202%20Indoor%20Rower.jpg

If you buy a rower, you could do the "Pete's Plan" (plan to get in shape from 0) which scales you up in meters rowed every week.

Also as stated above yoga is a great and free way to get in shape and it is actually very easy. Since I started doing yoga I have lost several inches from my waist and my entire body is stronger, especially all the little stabilizer muscles.

Getting in shape is very fun after you get through the pain of the first week. I'm about to start a more serious regimen, too. Starting next month I'll be doing some light weights, and rowing several times per week. Currently I do yoga with my own bodyweight, hiking, some pull-ups, and I'm in a kung fu class...

When my body is strong, I feel good mentally all the time.

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 01:42 PM
I am approaching 2 million meters on my Concept II rowing machine. I second this recommendation. Also, I do interval training on mine, interspersed with some sprints, 2,000, 5,000, and 10,000 meter rows.

wildcard
25th April 2010, 01:52 PM
I ask you not to try to do 55 miles in 2 days walking. We had a 24 hour relay run for charity. It will fock you up. Old muscles don't react well to these sorts of things without a LONG period of preparation. You will wind up doing serious damage to your muscles.

Just my opinion. If you do indeed decide to do this, pack lots of ben gay and muscle relaxers. :)

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th April 2010, 02:25 PM
Gknowmx, I am approaching 500,000 meters total. It feels great, I can't wait to hit 1M. I used to run cross country, honestly this is just way better in terms of exercise received. The only thing better than rowing (for getting in shape) in my opinion is swimming.

Yes watch out for shin splints, they hurt and there is nothing you can do to make them stop hurting if you get them. That's why I like the no-impact advantage of a rowing machine.

BeefJerky
25th April 2010, 02:27 PM
I happen to have quite a bit of experience in these types of things. I have biked from Palos Verdes, CA to San Diego and back in one day, slightly over 300 miles. Also have completed several 40 + mile per day treks with full pack. As well, I have done numerous 10+ mile runs. I have never ran a marathon though, yet.

When you are training for any type of endurance event it is best to start at a level that you are comfortable with. Then increase the amounts by 10% per week. If you hit a wall and can't progress just stay where you're at for another week. In essence repeat the previous week.

It is important to have at least 4 sessions per week of whatever it is. Also mix it up a little. Instead of length of distance/time try increasing speed by 10%.

If you are starting with 2 miles it is not practical to build up to 55 miles in 2 months. I'm not saying you can't accomplish that. Most people in relatively decent shape could accomplish that if they have the right attitude. They will most certainly feel it though, physically for sometimes afterwards. They might even injure themselves permanently.

It reallly is only quite practical and safe to double ones regular activity for a special event. In example when training for a marathon most runners will have a daily average run of 13 miles at least 3 times per week.

Before biking 300 miles per day, I was averaging (4) 100 mile sessions per week. I felt that ride for a good 4 days afterwards even with all that conditioning. Plus I was in my teens.

I am in my 40's now and remain higly active. Running an average of 30 miles per week. If I were to attempt a marathon right now. I could do it. But I would probably be wiped for a week, if not injured.

My recommendation is to pace yourself and spend more time getting ready for such an event.

Congratulations on deciding to get more active. The benefits to your life will be recognizable within weeks.

You can find some good info. on the running forums. I think RUNNER'S WORLD has a discussion forum.

nunaem
25th April 2010, 02:52 PM
Remember to eat lots of fiber, it's calorie free, filling and slows down digestion of high glycemic index foods so it's excellent for fat-loss. And as others have mentioned drink plenty of water and eschew all sugary drinks, including fruit drinks.

Also remember weight loss does not equal fat loss, and the BMI is misleading for anyone with significant muscle mass. So by far the best way to gauge your physique is body fat %. You can buy an electronic body fat monitor from amazon.com for less than $30.

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 03:22 PM
Gknowmx, I am approaching 500,000 meters total. It feels great, I can't wait to hit 1M. I used to run cross country, honestly this is just way better in terms of exercise received. The only thing better than rowing (for getting in shape) in my opinion is swimming.

Yes watch out for shin splints, they hurt and there is nothing you can do to make them stop hurting if you get them. That's why I like the no-impact advantage of a rowing machine.

Funny you should mention swimming. I also prefer swimming. In my younger days I used to like to swim a mile first thing in the morning. But that was at a good pool. I find now that the clorine levels kill my skin and sinuses. I suspect that is a function of both my older age and the quality of the maintenance at the local pools geared more toward the public.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th April 2010, 03:55 PM
Funny you should mention swimming. I also prefer swimming. In my younger days I used to like to swim a mile first thing in the morning. But that was at a good pool. I find now that the clorine levels kill my skin and sinuses. I suspect that is a function of both my older age and the quality of the maintenance at the local pools geared more toward the public.

Agreed. For pools I think salt is the best way to go. It makes the water pleasant to swim in and no chlorine is needed. Afterall salt is a chloride! We are moving soon into a house and I am going to suggest that we change the pool to a salt-water pool.

Directm
25th April 2010, 04:07 PM
Do the Paleo lifestyle...which means eat lots of Meat and veggies. No sugar, grains, starches, beans. It also means short intensive workouts: Deadlifts, squats and military presses. Deadlifts on Monday, Presses on Wednesday and Squats on Friday....thats it, no more and no less.
I have been living this way for a couple of years now... I dropped 40 lbs. Now, I'm 50 and I'm ripped.

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 04:19 PM
Tell us more Directm. Sounds intriguing.

silversurfer
25th April 2010, 04:34 PM
why 55 miles in 18 hrs?

JFK was happy with 50 miles in 20 hours back in '63...

http://www.jfk50mile.org/HistoryStuff.htm

Event History

For those who did not know all of the history surrounding the event, as they say, here is the rest of the story.

The JFK 50 Mile was first held in the spring of 1963. It was one of numerous such 50 mile events held around the country as part of President John F. Kennedy's push to bring the country back to physical fitness.

When Kennedy was assassinated in November of 1963, most of these events were never held again. The one here in Washington County, MD changed it's name from the JFK 50 Mile Challenge to the JFK 50 Mile Memorial in 1964. The JFK 50 Mile in Washington County, MD is the only original JFK 50 Mile Challenge event to be held every year for the last 44 years. The 45th Annual JFK 50 Mile will be held on November 17, 2007.

Although open to the public, the JFK 50 Mile is in spirit a military race. It always has been and always will be. In 1963, the initial inspiration behind the event came from then President John F. Kennedy challenging his military officers to meet the requirements that Teddy Roosevelt had set for his own military officers at the dawn of the 20th Century. That Roosevelt requirement was for all military officers to be able to cover 50 miles on foot in 20 hours to maintain their commissions. When word got out about the "Kennedy Challenge", non-commissioned military personnel also wanted to take the test themselves as did certain robust members of the civilian population.

Of the many awards presented at the JFK 50 Mile each year, the most prestigious is the Kennedy Cup, which is awarded to the top-finishing military team. Each military team can have a maximum of 10 participants with the finishing times from the top-five finishers combined for the team time. Like golf and cross country, the low (time) score wins.

The military personnel that take part in the JFK 50 Mile are extremely well-prepared, disciplined and (even when greatly fatigued) always courteous to everyone involved with organizing and/or supporting the event. It is always a true honor --and pleasure-- to host U.S. Military personnel at the JFK 50 Mile.

Mike Spinnler

JFK 50 Mile Participant 1971-90

JFK 50 Mile Winner 1982 & 1983

JFK 50 Mile Director 1993-present

nunaem
25th April 2010, 04:43 PM
Do the Paleo lifestyle...which means eat lots of Meat and veggies. No sugar, grains, starches, beans. It also means short intensive workouts: Deadlifts, squats and military presses. Deadlifts on Monday, Presses on Wednesday and Squats on Friday....thats it, no more and no less.
I have been living this way for a couple of years now... I dropped 40 lbs. Now, I'm 50 and I'm ripped.

I thought the paleo lifestyle was about doing a large variety of different exercises? There's nothing natural about doing the same exercises over and over. At least that's how John Durant explained it, http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/263270/february-03-2010/john-durant , or is that different than the paleo diet?

vacuum
25th April 2010, 05:03 PM
You should get your heart checked out before you do it.

chinmusic
25th April 2010, 05:18 PM
I think you are mistaken to attempt this so early in your physical training. 55 miles is a hell of a long distance. By doing this you most likely will injure yourself and actually set back your training and your chances of attaining your long term goal of a healthier body.

silversurfer
25th April 2010, 05:30 PM
hire someone to do this for you

and then follow them on a bicycle

ruprick
25th April 2010, 05:52 PM
55 miles is the distance from my home to a specific destination I want to walk to.

2 months to get ready is probably not feasible from my starting point.....it would be a tough goal for a guy starting out in good shape on day 1....and I'm not even close to that.

I can push the date out to anything I want.....just thinking about limited daylight....but I can start out in the dark.

Perhaps try it in September.....say Labor Day....that will give me 4 months. If I bust my butt - I should be pretty fit in 4 months...and probably 20 lbs lighter and in great shape by then.

Still - 55 miles is a long way and a long time to walk. Pretty extreme - as it is the distance of 2 marathons.

Don't set easy goals.....but you still have to get them done...

nunaem
25th April 2010, 06:08 PM
I think BeefJerky is right about increasing your walking distance by 10% every week, but you'll need to figure out how far you're capable of walking first, without overextending yourself of course. Maybe start out walking 3-5 miles and see how you feel, if you feel you can go farther than that add 1 mile each time until you feel you're at your peak. Then do that every other day (it's important to rest your legs for at least a day) and go 10% farther every week.
And take an entire week off every couple of months, significant improvements occur during week(s) long breaks when your muscles have plenty of time to repair themselves.

Desolation LineTrimmer
25th April 2010, 06:22 PM
I don't know if it is reasonable to expect to walk 55 miles in a day. Maybe not. I once walked from San Diego to San Luis Obispo by the coast, without a penny in my pocket, and wearing a pair of wingtip shoes. Took 3 days just to get through LA. I ate out of beach trash cans. It was a wild experience that I'll always cherish. ;) Eventually I walked through the wingtips. They come apart in layers these leather soled shoes. I was getting to the point where I was going to have to fashion some sandals from found materials when I came across another hobo. I said, "Bo' where's the nearest soup kitchen?" He said, "Right up the way!" I went to that kitchen and ate and on my way out through the backdoor they had a clothes closet, and sittin' there, all by their lonesome, was a pair of NewBalance trainers, exactly one size bigger than my foot, which was perfect considering how lacerated my feet were. Thanks, god. To this day I wear New Balance grey trainers.

Book
25th April 2010, 06:52 PM
http://goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?3477-44-year-old-20-lbs-heavy-Want-to-walk-55-miles-in-18-hrs-within-2-months&p=23293#post23293

:o

Gknowmx
25th April 2010, 06:57 PM
http://goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?3477-44-year-old-20-lbs-heavy-Want-to-walk-55-miles-in-18-hrs-within-2-months&p=23293#post23293

:o

Is it more than 55 miles from GSUS to GIM2? Covering a lot of ground already I would say ;D

BoatingAccident
25th April 2010, 09:46 PM
55 miles is the distance from my home to a specific destination I want to walk to.

2 months to get ready is probably not feasible from my starting point.....it would be a tough goal for a guy starting out in good shape on day 1....and I'm not even close to that.
Don't set easy goals.....but you still have to get them done...

I agree with this, and I think you should go for it. Always though, as anything...have a backup plan. Have a friend/relative you can call on hand to pick up you up, if something happens.

This is a very lofty goal, Ruprick.

I have some experience with high altitude mountain climbing. My advise, is to find out your 'pace'. Everyone is different. Everyone has a hiking/walking pace that is their own "sweet spot". My advise, is to find out what yours is. You an do this, by using a treadmill at a gym. Try walking at different speeds to time. 4.0 mile, is a good clip. I'd test your abillity to keep that for 30 min, then an hour. Maybe adjust accordingly.

Exciting goal, best of luck.

Directm
25th April 2010, 09:59 PM
The Paleo lifestyle is about Hi fat, high protein and low carbs. It is not a "diet" its how i live. I eat five or six slices of bacon (if you don't like bacon you could be communist) in the morning with three eggs, some chicken or salmon at lunch and a steak (New York cut, my fav) for supper, plus some veggies with every meal...mostly raw spinach. I do this every day. My workouts are heavy compound lifts. Yes its true, my workouts are not pure "paleo". The reason why I lift this way is heavy compound lifts stimulate testosterone production. Why do I want to stimulate testosterone production at the age of 50? Because I do not want to go quietly into that good night looking like a lesbo.

I also do wind sprints once a week and chin ups on Sunday.

Ideally, I would rather be eating wild meat...but I did not get a chance to go hunting last year...and get a chance to use my new rifle.

Check out "Marks Daily Apple" to find out more on the paleo lifestyle. You can find out about the way I lift by checking out Tim Ferriss's blog under Pavel: 80/20 Power lifting and How to Add 110+ Pounds to Your Lift.

Moving on to another subject: I'm looking for a 1990-1995 Mercedes Benz 450SL. If you know of a good one email me.

BoatingAccident
25th April 2010, 10:10 PM
The Paleo lifestyle is about Hi fat, high protein and low carbs. It is not a "diet" its how i live.

My diet and exercise program is very similar to yours, Directm. I eat lots of protein, lift very heavy (for me) lifts, compound. Deads, squats, bench. It's how I live too, or try to best I can.

It's great to hear that it works well for older folks (much respect), as I am mid 30's. Two thumbs up!!

Studies have shown T-levels are down in most men, due to a lack of zinc in the diet. The meat heavy diet, makes up for that. Also, taking extra zinc vitamins helps. Lifting heavy weight does bring t levels up to a normal level. It's a primal response.

BoatingAccident
25th April 2010, 10:25 PM
Why do I want to stimulate testosterone production at the age of 50? Because I do not want to go quietly into that good night looking like a lesbo.

I'd just like to make a point, on this comment. Our society, is anti-testosterone. By design. Our gov, does not like men high in testosterone "fight ready" men.

Being high in t levels labels a man a criminal, ready to rape any woman around, selfish, or even gay, depending upon fitness level, or just a steroid abuser...ready to attack on "roid rage". It's media propaganda. Or, planting the seed it leads to baldness, shorter life span, etc...from the medical community...

It's all bullshit.

Men, our T levels are being attacked directly. Most men are low, due to diet, lack of exercise. You have to seek out, a way to have a natural t level in our society. It does not come default.

Gknowmx
26th April 2010, 04:29 AM
Why do I want to stimulate testosterone production at the age of 50? Because I do not want to go quietly into that good night looking like a lesbo.

I'd just like to make a point, on this comment. Our society, is anti-testosterone. By design. Our gov, does not like men high in testosterone "fight ready" men.

Being high in t levels labels a man a criminal, ready to rape any woman around, selfish, or even gay, depending upon fitness level, or just a steroid abuser...ready to attack on "roid rage". It's media propaganda. Or, planting the seed it leads to baldness, shorter life span, etc...from the medical community...

It's all bullsh*t.

Men, our T levels are being attacked directly. Most men are low, due to diet, lack of exercise. You have to seek out, a way to have a natural t level in our society. It does not come default.

Good point. Great thread.

ruprick
26th April 2010, 06:22 PM
4 miles in 1 hour does not seem to be an issue - even from my 20 lb heavy status. I don't think I could walk any faster...simply a function of my dimensions....perhaps after I shead this extra 20 lbs, I'll be faster.

I have a feeling my current natural speed would be a little under 4.0 mph....but I'll probably be able to go 4.0 once in better shape - long haul.

4.0 is not that important...3.8 is fine....if I do the 55 miles...it might add 45 minutes or an hour to my day of walking.

If I have the ass to stick with this - I'll probably be amazed at the change in a few months.

It felt great - I even tossed in a few 1 minute jogs tonight while walking.

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Ash_Williams
27th April 2010, 07:22 AM
I don't think I could walk briskly that far but I could probably do it if I ran a couple hours, walked to recover, ran again, etc. Walking feels too inefficient for me... like doing a long bike ride only in first gear.

I will either walk 4 miles a day or do 4 miles on the treadmill. Bought some weights and work them just for tone, as I no longer need to build muscle. I think I eat well, and don't try to loose weight, but I can't get below 185-88 without starving myself, so I'm content there at that weight.
Hehe you guys just bother me. 5'11 and 188 and you want to go lower? I'm about that with very little fat and I look rather small. I know guys my height and at 175 they look big, they can't believe how much I weight. I know one factor is that I have a big head, so my body just looks smaller overall. If I take a picture of myself and crop out my head, I look heavier, and my upper body looks especially larger. Once that giant head goes back on the mass in the shoulders just disappears by comparison. Also I'm frigging dense - I sink in water like a black dude.

Awoke
27th April 2010, 08:28 AM
Water Fasting is all you need, Ruprick.

Good to see you here. I was talking to another GIMer about you yesterday.

Saul Mine
27th April 2010, 05:07 PM
You are looking at 3 MPH. I have always walked a lot but I never tried to time myself until age 52. I had to walk 7 miles to a class every Saturday so to relieve the boredom I tried to walk 3 MPH. I could do it for one mile. With some more conditioning maybe I could keep that pace for more than 20 minutes. Four MPH? Now you're talking about jogging. BTW, I am 5'9", 160 lbs, never a weight problem.

willie pete
27th April 2010, 05:45 PM
We had to walk a mile (around a track) for a fitness class I had to take in school, the catch was you had to do it in 16 minutes, I did it, but it was a strong forced walk for 16 minutes, no way I could've kept up that pace for multiple miles, you'd have to be in VERY good shape to sustain that

ruprick
27th April 2010, 06:03 PM
Did another 4 miles tonight at 4 MPH pace.....I had to push myself to do it. I'm feeling sore....4 MPH is too much right now.

silversurfer
27th April 2010, 08:06 PM
walking is in

I actually saw this guy walkng down the hwy yesterday as I drove to Denver

I knew he had a brain cause he was walking facing oncoming traffic

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/abc11239v/walking2010-04-27_210233.png

after seeing this article I figured he was walking about 25-30 miles a day

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/abc11239v/walking010-04-27_210912.png

his trip will be around 375 miles total one way

ruprick
4th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Update:

It has been 12 days since I started. First week I walked 4 miles every day at 4 mph. On day 9 I did not walk - took a rest day. On day 10 I walked 10 miles at 4 mph for the first half - rested for 40 minutes while I visited a friend in town - return trip was just a bit slower than 4 mph...it was difficult to hold that pace by mile #8....back of leg felt like it wanted to cramp up.

Day 11 and 12 have both been 5.5 mile days and still holding the 4 mph or better speed.

I can tell it is getting easier - I feel better at the end of the exercise than I did just 12 days ago.

Observations:

Major inner leg chaffing using cotton boxers.

Spent $25 per pair of Nike Dri Fit Compression Briefs.....It pained me to spend that kind of $ on underwear...felt like a chick at Victoria's Secret.....but it fixed my chaffing issue. These are super tight underwear, form fitting, but it gives protection to inner legs and holds my junk in place (yes, junk was chaffing as well). Also bought some "Runners Glide" it is like a stick deoderant material that is a dryish lube - I use this at the intersection of legs, junk and "taint" where the compression briefs can't protect.

Weight is not dropping as fast as I would think.....I'm eating about 1500 cals a day and walking off about 500 cals a day....thus 1000 net cals/day....I need about 2000 - 2200 to hold my own daily...thus I am roughly 1000 calories of weight loss/day....that is 7000/week = about 2.0 lbs weight loss per week. The timeframe is too small for accurate measure....and I might also be adding some muscle in my legs.....we'll give it a month and see if I'm roughly 8 lbs lighter.

I have a digital freight scale...works great, good repeatability, resolution to the ounce.

Peaked at 227 lbs around the start of the year.....now about 205......goal of about 185. Short term goal = see the sunny side of 200 lbs in a week or so....it has been a few decades since that has happened.

I'll keep you posted in another week or so.