PDA

View Full Version : A knife thread

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 07:27 PM
I`m a lifelong knifeknut and I started dabbling in making my own crude shanks and pretty decent kydezx sheaths. I have a collection of about 2 dozen custom and some production knives. Let`s chat about anything cutlery-related.

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 07:32 PM
I also have a couple of great knives for sale/trade. I`m a longtime member of bladeforums and have extensive zero-negative feedback there and on ebay.

Grog
26th April 2010, 08:06 PM
I have a friend who is a blacksmith. He made this beauty for me. :)

Damascus steel blade with mastodon tooth handle. I'll get a better picture of the Damascus grain, I need to find it. My camera skills suck and the resizing trashed his good photo.

k-os
26th April 2010, 08:53 PM
I love guns but knives scare the crap out of me. I can't use one when someone else is in the kitchen, and I can't be around someone using one. It happens sometimes at Thanksgiving or when somebody breaks out a pocket knife to open a package, but I get flushed and hyperventilate and have to leave the room.

My family says it's because one of my sisters chased me around the house with a butcher knife when I was young, but I don't remember.

I do think knives can be very much like art, and I enjoy looking at them at the gun shows, but when someone holds one, I have to walk (run) away.

Anyway, carry on with your knife discussion . . .

Book
26th April 2010, 09:00 PM
http://horror.about.com/od/horrortoppicklists/tp/25slashers.htm

Microwave some popcorn k-os...lol.

:o

willie pete
26th April 2010, 09:11 PM
A good blade is irreplaceable, one of my Favorites....

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 09:12 PM
I love guns but knives scare the crap out of me. I can't use one when someone else is in the kitchen, and I can't be around someone using one. It happens sometimes at Thanksgiving or when somebody breaks out a pocket knife to open a package, but I get flushed and hyperventilate and have to leave the room.

My family says it's because one of my sisters chased me around the house with a butcher knife when I was young, but I don't remember.

I do think knives can be very much like art, and I enjoy looking at them at the gun shows, but when someone holds one, I have to walk (run) away.

Anyway, carry on with your knife discussion . . .

There is a saying among US special forces: run towards a man with a gun and run away from a man with a knife...

You have a tiny chance of winning against a man with a pistol if you are fast enough to jump on him and wrestle away the gun but you have zero chances of doing the same with a guy armed with a blade if he knows what he is doing. Even if he doesn`t know much about knife-fighting, a man with a knife will win against a top-level martial artist in his top shape in 99% of cases.

So your fear is completely understandable.

In some states the law is harder upon those with a concealed knife than those with a concealed gun due to the fact that a man who chooses a knife is more predisposed to violence because butchering your fellow man requires a deeper killing instinct than pulling a trigger.

I`ve carried a blade as long as I can remember myself. I knew at 7-8 that any adult who offered me candy after dusk on a street where no others were present would suddenly discover that he has an extra hole and then see a small boy running faster than a cat (thank God nobody did offer me candy but I have pulled a knife on people several times in my life).

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 09:14 PM

I used to be a Busse nut before I learned the truth about them. Had several Busses which I sold before they went up in price to a truly psychotic level.

I know much about the inner knife business gossip and it would be my pleasure to disabuse you from your Busse addiction by an injection of truth about this nefarious scam.

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 09:19 PM
I`m a lifelong knifeknut and I started dabbling in making my own crude shanks and pretty decent kydex sheaths. I have a collection of about 2 dozen custom and some production knives. Let`s chat about anything cutlery-related.

willie pete
26th April 2010, 09:21 PM

I used to be a Busse nut before I learned the truth about them. Had several Busses which I sold before they went up in price to a truly psychotic level.

I know much about the inner knife business gossip and it would be my pleasure to disabuse you from your Busse addiction by an injection of truth about this nefarious scam.

By all means, tell us More... :D

StackerKen
26th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Belongs to my wife

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs284.snc3/27859_1423422909952_1364103852_1160987_3942253_n.j pg

It has a damascus steel blade
the Bolsters are Mokume gane

same maker

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs284.snc3/27859_1423378988854_1364103852_1160911_4883719_n.j pg

the guy that made them has more here.

http://adw.go-gbs.com/Directory.htm

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 09:32 PM

By all means, tell us More... :D

Ok, there is no such thing as INFI steel, Busses are made from A10 which is very good air-hardening steel similar to A2 but more flexible. Busse scam is based on a superb PR job, Busse was a contractor who supplied US army with knives during the Persian Gulf war. Busse madness started on bladeforums by about 2 dozen Zionist scumbags who all of a sudden started raving about this new Busse company which according to them found the Holy Graal of knife steel, the most flexible and very hard plus almost stainless which they called INFI, their "proprietory steel".

If such steel existed it would be in demand from the jackhammer industry as it would be perfect for the bits but so far we don`t see jackhammer makers begging Busse for supplying them with INFI.

The ZOG knife scumbags started shill bidding, selling Busses to each other at ever-increasing prices until the entire knife community caught the Busse bug, including myself. I sold mine way before I could make real profits because I underestimated people`s stupidity and willingness to pay 500-1000$ for a production knife made from uknown steel.

The knife industry is completely controlled by the ZOG and politics play a huge role there.

When I hold a knife in my hand I want to respect the maker. I would never own a knife made by a thief or a lackey.

StackerKen
26th April 2010, 09:36 PM

Damascus steel blade with mastodon tooth handle. I'll get a better picture of the Damascus grain, I need to find it. My camera skills suck and the resizing trashed his good photo.

Very Nice grog
That Knife is really cool...work of art for sure!

StackerKen
26th April 2010, 09:40 PM
I like this one a lot

http://adw.go-gbs.com/images/fbf2.jpg

But his knives are way out my price range.

http://adw.go-gbs.com/Directory.htm

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 09:42 PM
Both knives which pics are posted are beauties. My thing is rough survival/killing knives made from carbon steel with canvas micarta or G10 handles. I make my own knives from 6-4 titanium, using only a dremel,a vise,files and sandpaper. The reason why I choose titanium is that I don`t have to heat-treat it. Heat-treating is an art and it can only be done in a shop or outdoors and I`m a city boy living in an appartment.

Book
26th April 2010, 09:46 PM

http://www.handgunsmag.com/accessories/HGswamp_tramp225A.jpg

My Camp Tramp is from Jerry Busse's wife's company Swamp Rat.

:)

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 10:06 PM

http://www.handgunsmag.com/accessories/HGswamp_tramp225A.jpg

My Camp Tramp is from Jerry Busse's wife's company Swamp Rat.

:)

Your 120$ went to the ZOG, my friend...

Book
26th April 2010, 10:13 PM
Your 120$ went to the ZOG, my friend...

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban651l.jpg

$40. It was hot...lol.

Occamsrazor
26th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Buy only full tang fixed blades,micarta or G10 handle slabes, no rubber handles. A knife handle shouldn`t resemble a dildo...

Celtic Rogue
27th April 2010, 04:08 AM

I am really jealous!!! Beautiful knife!!!! and k-os knives are just tools... even a hammer can give you a nice wound. But I know also how strong the formative years can have an influence on how we perceive things later on in life.

Occamsrazor
27th April 2010, 04:12 AM
k-os, you should start carrying a blade or 2, get used to it. You like guns and you will like knives too. Knife shows are attended by beautiful and classy women.

Book
27th April 2010, 04:18 AM
Buy only full tang fixed blades,micarta or G10 handle slabes, no rubber handles. A knife handle shouldn`t resemble a dildo...

While chopping a cinder block in half that cushioned rubber handle is nice...lol.

:oo-->

Occamsrazor
27th April 2010, 04:21 AM

While chopping a cinder block in half that cushioned rubber handle is nice...lol.

If you plan to chop only one, a dildo handle will feel good but if you want a lifetime knife which will chop 1000s of trees, get a full-tang one. Dildo-handles eventually start to get loose, the blade will fall out one day:)

Book
27th April 2010, 04:27 AM

If you plan to chop only one, a dildo handle will feel good but if you want a lifetime knife which will chop 1000s of trees, get a full-tang one. Dildo-handles eventually start to get loose, the blade will fall out one day:)

http://torontoist.com/attachments/toronto_boy/2006_7_28zombies.jpg

Be great on you dildo-obsessed zombies after the barrel melts on the AR-15...lol.

;D

Occamsrazor
27th April 2010, 04:33 AM
My favorite handle is a simple paracord wrap on a full tang blade. You always have emergency rope and it feels good in your hand, not slippery like the rubber dildo. A fighting knife should have a flat handle so the handle has no chance of rolling in your hand.

Book
27th April 2010, 04:44 AM
You always have emergency rope and it feels good in your hand, not slippery like the rubber dildo.

Everyone here now wonders how you know a rubber dildo feels slippery.

willie pete
27th April 2010, 05:18 PM
My favorite handle is a simple paracord wrap on a full tang blade. You always have emergency rope and it feels good in your hand, not slippery like the rubber dildo. A fighting knife should have a flat handle so the handle has no chance of rolling in your hand.

What would you recommend in a good working survival knife, big blade?

Occamsrazor
27th April 2010, 05:37 PM

What would you recommend in a good working survival knife, big blade?

Nobody makes a better blade for the money than John Greco and Ted Frizzell of the MMHW company.
If you wanna spend a bit more, Bill Siegle is a phenomenal maker, he makes anything from big choppers to small neck knives, he can make a knife of your design, his choppers are about 150-350$ range depending on the size,finish and handle material, a paracord handled roughly finished chopper out of 1/4" thick 5160 with his superb zone-hardening can be gotten for 150$ sometimes. The dude is Jewish which is obvious from the name. He is a pleasure to deal with and has a phantastic feedback on bladeforums.

You can get a medium-size Greco from great German sawblade 8670 steel on ebay for 60-70$.
MMHW chopper is also 1/4" thick 5160 zone-hardened, about 150-300$.
Both Greco and Ted Frizzell/MMHW are 100% honest men and a pleasure to deal with.

I own knives by all 3 of these people and most are on my never trade/sell list. Greco is my favorite maker, the best knife for the buck.

If you want a production chopper,get a Becker Camillus, great blade for the money, about 80-100$.

Always carry a backup carbon steel sturdy blade in case the primary chopper snaps due to a defect in the steel or heat-treat.

Also, bladeforums have a knifemaker section where new and upcoming makers sell great knives at great prices due to lack of fame. Once they establish a reputation, the sdouble and triple so be on a lookout for a new guy selling a 300$ knife for 100$.

I`m off to grinding a little nasty knife out of an old Sheffield kitchen knife:) I`ll try to take pics of my knife collection and post them here.

Grog
27th April 2010, 06:03 PM
But his knives are way out my price range.

My buddy did not make my knife for free. But it was a fair price and much lower than many of the other Damascus artisans out there. It was about 1/2 an ounce of gold in value. ;) If you want something similar, I can send you his contact info in a PM. He takes forever and a day to deliver but the work is excellent. I think he submitted pics etc to some knife magazine and they were going to do an article featuring the blade I purchased. I should follow up with him and see if that happened.

Grog

skid
27th April 2010, 06:12 PM
I once made a knife out of an old turbine blade. Pretty deadly looking little pig sticker too. I like Spyderco folders and have a very nice engraved German made Bowie knife as well. It came with a stag horn handle, but I broke the handle during a knife throwing contest with my buds twenty years ago after drinking quite a few beers. It now has a micarta or similar handle.

LuckyStrike
28th April 2010, 05:50 PM
I have a regular black ka bar. It's been a great knife so far, although I'm not a huge fan of the leather sheath.

From what I hear the best homemade knives are made from files, apparently they hold an edge forever. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Occamsrazor
28th April 2010, 05:52 PM
I have a regular black ka bar. It's been a great knife so far, although I'm not a huge fan of the leather sheath.

From what I hear the best homemade knives are made from files, apparently they hold an edge forever. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

File knives are great, W2 water-hardening steel, holds an edge forever. But you have to anneal them first b4 grinding and then harden and temper again.

willie pete
28th April 2010, 06:15 PM
I thought this guy had a good 4 part Vid on how to make a knife out of a file...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysKd1cswlo

LuckyStrike
28th April 2010, 06:49 PM
I thought this guy had a good 4 part Vid on how to make a knife out of a file...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysKd1cswlo

Not to hijack the thread but whats the fascination with Bud Dwyer?

willie pete
28th April 2010, 06:56 PM
lol....No fascination NB, that was the last photo of Bud before he took that .357 Python in his right hand, put it in his mouth, and blew a hole in his head, with a nose faucet at the end...the vid is fairly graphic

LuckyStrike
29th April 2010, 04:24 PM
lol....No fascination NB, that was the last photo of Bud before he took that .357 Python in his right hand, put it in his mouth, and blew a hole in his head, with a nose faucet at the end...the vid is fairly graphic

Yeah I've seen the vid (i dont recommend it if anyone hasn't) but still to have as an avatar and the words the people were shouting led me to believe that you had some fascination with it.

Occamsrazor
29th April 2010, 04:43 PM

Guys, what are you talking about? I always want to see a dude blowing his brains out, please direct me to this:)