PDA

View Full Version : they found noah's ark

chad
27th April 2010, 08:31 AM
i guess. :o

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2949640/Noahs-Ark-found-in-Turkey.html

the remains of Noah's Ark have been discovered 13,000ft up a Turkish mountain, it has been claimed.
A group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers say they have found wooden remains on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey.

They claim carbon dating proves the relics are 4,800 years old — around the same time the ark was said to be afloat.

Yeung Wing-Cheung, from the Noah's Ark Ministries International research team, said: "It's not 100 per cent that it is Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it."

He said the structure contained several compartments, some with wooden beams, that they believe were used to house animals.

The group of evangelical archaeologists ruled out an established human settlement on the grounds none have ever been found above 11,000ft in the vicinity, Yeung said.

Local Turkish officials will ask the central government in Ankara to apply for UNESCO World Heritage status so the site can be protected while a major archaeological dig is conducted.

The biblical story says that God decided to flood the Earth after seeing how corrupt it was.

He then told Noah to build an ark and fill it with two of every animal species.

After the flood waters receded, the Bible says, the ark came to rest on a mountain.

Many believe that Mount Ararat, the highest point in the region, is where the ark and her inhabitants ran aground.

jedemdasseine
27th April 2010, 08:37 AM
People have known about the strange boat on Ararat for a long time, but some people actually got up there and looked around inside? That's incredible! :o

I hope there's some serious follow up on this story.

chad
27th April 2010, 08:40 AM
i think it's funny that they had to keep reporting that it was found by "evangelical christian archeologists." as if finding a big ass boat on top of a mountain isn't a big find to ANY archeologist.

SunTzu
27th April 2010, 09:24 AM
Again?

Since 1975 it seems they find Noah's Art on top of Mt. Ararat about every 5 years.

k-os
27th April 2010, 09:27 AM
Again?

Since 1975 it seems they find Noah's Art on top of Mt. Ararat about every 5 years.

That's what I was thinking.

Silver Moon Rising
27th April 2010, 09:28 AM
Here's a little more information about this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/27/noahs-ark-found-turkey-arafat/

A group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers say wooden remains they have discovered on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey are the remains of Noah's Ark.

The group claims that carbon dating proves the relics are 4,800 years old, meaning they date to around the same time the ark was said to be afloat. Mt. Ararat has long been suspected as the final resting place of the craft by evangelicals and literalists hoping to validate biblical stories.

Yeung Wing-Cheung, from the Noah's Ark Ministries International research team that made the discovery, said: "It's not 100 percent that it is Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 percent that this is it."

There have been several reported discoveries of the remains of Noah's Ark over the years, most notably a find by archaeologist Ron Wyatt in 1987. At the time, the Turkish government officially declared a national park around his find, a boat-shaped object stretched across the mountains of Ararat.

Nevertheless, the evangelical ministry remains convinced that the current find is in fact more likely to be the actual artifact, calling upon Dutch Ark researcher Gerrit Aalten to verify its legitimacy.

“The significance of this find is that for the first time in history the discovery of Noah’s Ark is well documented and revealed to the worldwide community,” Aalten said at a press conference announcing the find. Citing the many details that match historical accounts of the Ark, he believes it to be a legitimate archaeological discovery.

“There’s a tremendous amount of solid evidence that the structure found on Mount Ararat in Eastern Turkey is the legendary Ark of Noah,” said Aalten.

Representatives of Noah's Ark Ministries said the structure contained several compartments, some with wooden beams, that they believe were used to house animals.The group of evangelical archaeologists ruled out an established human settlement on the grounds none have ever been found above 11,000 feet in the vicinity, Yeung said.

During the press conference, team member Panda Lee described visiting the site. “In October 2008, I climbed the mountain with the Turkish team. At an elevation of more than 4,000 meters, I saw a structure built with plank-like timber. Each plank was about 8 inches wide. I could see tenons, proof of ancient construction predating the use of metal nails."

We walked about 100 meters to another site. I could see broken wood fragments embedded in a glacier, and some 20 meters long. I surveyed the landscape and found that the wooden structure was permanently covered by ice and volcanic rocks."

Local Turkish officials will ask the central government in Ankara to apply for UNESCO World Heritage status so the site can be protected while a major archaeological dig is conducted.

The biblical story says that God decided to flood the Earth after seeing how corrupt it was. He then told Noah to build an ark and fill it with two of every animal species.

After the flood waters receded, the Bible says, the ark came to rest on a mountain. Many believe that Mount Ararat, the highest point in the region, is where the ark and her inhabitants ran aground.

Awoke
27th April 2010, 09:29 AM
Exactly.

Note the date:
http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/Ancient.Civ_Technol/040426.Noahs.Ark.html

Festina Lente
27th April 2010, 09:30 AM
Noah must have been a prepper. ;D

k-os
27th April 2010, 09:31 AM
Noah must have been a prepper. ;D

Noah might have been the first prepper.

Large Sarge
27th April 2010, 09:34 AM
Why would you expect to find noah's ark anyway?

his ark was made of wood, why would it last 2000 years.

food for thought

Ash_Williams
27th April 2010, 09:46 AM

But those other times did they have a picture of a guy standing next to two walls made of wood? Huh?

chad
27th April 2010, 09:48 AM

food for thought

wood's pretty resilient, especially in the cold. where i live, they routinely bring up old growth timber logs from shipwrecks in lake superior that happened in the early 1800's. most times, they're perfect.

Silver Moon Rising
27th April 2010, 09:59 AM
Here's a link to a previous group of explorers who claimed to have found Noah's Ark.

http://www.specialtyinterests.net/the_remains_of_noahs_ark.html

SunTzu
27th April 2010, 10:07 AM

But those other times did they have a picture of a guy standing next to two walls made of wood? Huh?

Don't know - don't remember. It just seems that every so often throught my life I keep hearing how it's been "found". Maybe there was a fleet of them?

Large Sarge
27th April 2010, 10:08 AM

food for thought

wood's pretty resilient, especially in the cold. where i live, they routinely bring up old growth timber logs from shipwrecks in lake superior that happened in the early 1800's. most times, they're perfect.

I am not saying noah and his ark never happened.

but I doubt they will find it

waterlogged wood, rotting on a mountaintop for 2000 years.

not much left me thinks,

and you are comparing 200 years to 2000 years

most of the stuff 2000 years old that is around is pottery, metal, or???

anything else has long ago decomposed

even in the desert climate, wood takes a beating after 2000 years.

Silver Moon Rising
27th April 2010, 10:10 AM
From the space.com website:

http://i.space.com/images/060308_ark_radarsat_02.jpg

Canadian Space Agency's RADARSAT-1 image of Mt. Ararat. This radar image is 8-meter resolution, the highest commercial capability in the world. Circled in red is the "anomaly" location on the northwest corner of Ararat's Western Plateau at 15,300 feet. Since a radar satellite is not optical, but shoots back radio beams of solid structures, this image confirms, according to researchers, that the anomaly is not the effect of shadows. Credit: RADARSAT-1 data (c) Canadian Space Agency. Processed and distributed by RADARSAT International Inc., a subsidiary of MDA.

http://i.space.com/images/060308_ark_quickbird_02.jpg

DigitalGlobe's QuickBird commercial remote sensing satellite imaged the Mt. Ararat "anomaly" in 2003. This image has never seen by the public until now. The anomaly is surrounded below by very rugged-looking strato-volcanic rock; however, the texture of the feature in question is relatively smooth and appears to be made of a different substance. Credit: DigitalGlobe

SunTzu
27th April 2010, 10:17 AM

food for thought

I am not saying noah and his ark never happened.

but I doubt they will find it

waterlogged wood, rotting on a mountaintop for 2000 years.

not much left me thinks,

and you are comparing 200 years to 2000 years

most of the stuff 2000 years old that is around is pottery, metal, or???

anything else has long ago decomposed

even in the desert climate, wood takes a beating after 2000 years.

and 2000 years takes us to Christ's birth. Noah's Ark we are talking 5 - 10,000 years???

Festina Lente
27th April 2010, 10:38 AM
Conditions would have to be really good, but in some cases, wood will last millions of years. Of course, by that time it will be petrified. :)

Here is a story about a 2500 year old Greek ship that was raised:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080811-greek-ship.html

I remember these from an archaeology course. They aren't thousands of years old, but interesting nonetheless:

The Vasa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_%28ship%29

The Mary Rose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Rose

StackerKen
27th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Things do last longer in the freezer ;)

Large Sarge
27th April 2010, 11:17 AM
Jim McCanney has covered the flood folks, and all the ancient texts talk of a monstrous flood

(India, S. America, Middle east, etc)

and McCanney estimates that if you were to travel through the tail of a comet, you would see 40 days and 40 nights of rain, see burning naptha (oil) falling from the sky, etc

hmmmmm

chad
27th April 2010, 12:10 PM
:o

jedemdasseine
27th April 2010, 12:12 PM
McCanney's a genius. His theories make more sense to me than anything I've ever read about the Ark.

cigarlover
27th April 2010, 12:20 PM
I think there was a movie on this many years ago like in the 80;s when they found it then. Also it was made of teak I believe which would hold up in the elements way better than most other woods especially at that altitude.

Hellsbane
27th April 2010, 12:32 PM
The Italians raised 2 hugh Roman pleasure ships from the bottom of a lake back in the 1930,s. The craft were from the time of Caligula, over 2000 years ago. Although not pristine, they were easily recognizable as ships and a great find. Pity they were destroyed in a bombing raid during WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_ships

BoatingAccident
27th April 2010, 12:34 PM
I think there was a movie on this many years ago like in the 80;s when they found it then. Also it was made of teak I believe which would hold up in the elements way better than most other woods especially at that altitude.

Teak is unique, teak trees sink, and stay preserved for years underwater. Teak would fit the bill, I'd be very curious about that.

Also, teak is a tropical hardwood, from rainforests. My guess is that the ark would be built with local woods. My knowledge on this subject is a bit hazy, but where exactly did the ark suposedly originate from?

cigarlover
27th April 2010, 12:38 PM
There are different types of teak, one is Burmese teak. Very beautiful wood. A bitch to work though. I also dont know what type of adhesives they were using but teak is very oily and needs to be cleaned with a solvent before gluing up. Back then they may have had some other way of working with it. Plus it only would have had to last for 40 days.

wildcard
27th April 2010, 12:41 PM
If you go to a certain depth in fresh water it is too cold for the little thingies (bacteria?) that cause things to break down and rot. Maybe the wood was at a high enough elevation to be this cold?

*like some of those old wrecks they pull up from the deep and begin to decay immediately upon hitting fresh air. Hell if I know, I ain't know microbiologist.

Saul Mine
27th April 2010, 04:51 PM
The government of Turkey, being Moslem, has always been very reluctant to tolerate Christians looking for religious relics. If they actually let some people study that thing recently, that would be a news story by itself.

Scientists have looked hard for evidence of a great flood. They found two, one in 3167 BC and one about 4600 BC. Neither was Noah's flood, which is dated to 2349 BC. If this thing is actually Noah's ark, it will be the ONLY hard evidence ever found.

BTW, even though no evidence has been found, people all over the world recorded a flood about 2349 BC. There are stories in over 500 languages, all agreeing in the details, insofar as they are translatable. Lots of languages bear no resemblance to English. You can find a very long examination of ancient history here (http://saturniancosmology.org/).

uranian
27th April 2010, 05:15 PM
2 by 2...i read that there are approx. 4800 species of mammals alive now, assuming that wasn't so different back in the day, that's a big boat! was he supposed to be taking reptiles too? couple of komodo dragons? about 9000 species there. actually we're talking about 60,000 vertebrate species (http://), so assuming a 1 cubic meter cage for all noah's compadres, he'd need a 120,000 cubic meter hold. that puts it up there with the largest LNG tankers ever built, such as the seri bakti (http://www.ships-info.info/mer-Seri-Bakti.htm):

http://www.ships-info.info/design/Seri_Bakti_port.jpg

a challenge even in teak, one would think?

Gypsybiker45
27th April 2010, 06:10 PM
2 by 2...i read that there are approx. 4800 species of mammals alive now, assuming that wasn't so different back in the day, that's a big boat! was he supposed to be taking reptiles too? couple of komodo dragons? about 9000 species there. actually we're talking about 60,000 vertebrate species (http://), so assuming a 1 cubic meter cage for all noah's compadres, he'd need a 120,000 cubic meter hold. that puts it up there with the largest LNG tankers ever built, such as the seri bakti (http://www.ships-info.info/mer-Seri-Bakti.htm):

a challenge even in teak, one would think?

Noahs ark was reported to be 450 long by 75 feet wide by 45 feet tall (based on a 18 inch average "cubit')
IMHO If this thing they found is anywhere close to that in size, im convinced. No reason to believe otherwise, no ancient civilization would/could construct a building that size with no other purpose.Lets suppose the carbon dating is correct, 4800 years ago people built a "Ark" on Ararat for housing....at 15000 feet. doubtfull that means it floated from somewhere else. If a person doesnt take the Bible totally literal, one can agree on the "partial flood" theory, wheras the "Known World" was what was actually flooded, not the entire planet, then you would have more than enough room for the middle eastern species. You would also not need to make room for species that existed elsewhere (seagulls,ducks for example) animals that would not need to be cared for in a dry environment, accompanying the Ark.thousands of bees live a single hive the size of a volleyball, other animals cohabitate as well. time will tell

Bullion_Bob
27th April 2010, 09:36 PM
What did everything eat while floating around for just over a year? Two more arks worth of food that somehow didn't spoil?

Noah's ark is up there for some of the most far fetched fairy tales ever told.

wildcard
27th April 2010, 09:38 PM
Maybe they caught fish? :P

StackerKen
27th April 2010, 09:45 PM
Someone built a Replica of Noah's Ark

http://ic2.pbase.com/g6/00/39600/2/78108238.iW9NajCW.jpg

more here

http://www.pbase.com/paulthedane/noahs_ark

old steel
27th April 2010, 10:07 PM
I dunno could be but then you have to believe that two of every species of animal, reptile, bird etc lived within walking distance of Noah's back yard and we are taking about millions of species i believe.

The Bible also states Noah made it out of gopher wood, whatever the hell kind of wood that is ...

StackerKen
27th April 2010, 10:23 PM
I dunno could be but then you have to believe that two of every species of animal, reptile, bird etc lived within walking distance of Noah's back yard and we are taking about millions of species i believe.

The Bible also states Noah made it out of gopher wood, whatever the hell kind of wood that is ...

A cubit is the distance between an adult's elbow and tip of the finger, generally 18-inches. Most Hebrew scholars believe the cubit to have been between 17½ -21½ inches long. This means that the ark would have been 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high if the 18 inch cubit was used. If a larger cubit was used it would have been proportionately longer.

The ark's total volume would have been 1,518,000 cubic feet. This would equal the capacity of 569 modern railroad stock cars

It is possible that "gopher" refers to a PROCESS or METHOD used to prepare the wood or to construct the ark.

Examples:
The words "gopher" and "ets" (wood) used in Genesis 6:14 are translated in the Septuagint (LXX.) as "squared beams."

The Vulgate version translated these same words as “planed wood.”

Some researchers have suggested that "gopher" may have referred to a lamination process, which might have been necessary considering the huge size of the ark (450 feet long or more). If true, the correct translation would be “laminated wood.”

Saul Mine
27th April 2010, 11:29 PM
You folks really should get the story straight before you start estimating. God didn't tell Noah two of every species.

Genesis 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Nothing there about insects, no creeping things, no fish. Only clean beasts, unclean beasts, and birds. And the command was two unclean beasts, but seven clean beasts and seven birds.

iOWNme
28th April 2010, 06:26 AM
Did they find the Ark right next to Santa's old sleigh?

Hermie
28th April 2010, 07:16 AM
I've read pretty interesting things about Noah's Flood being located in the Tarim Basin in what is now
southwest China area.
Much of the information makes the reality of such a thing very believable.
Also the taking of animals would have been animals from the local area.
No need for elephants and lions etc.

Celtic Rogue
28th April 2010, 07:38 AM
You know this for sure at least the 4-5 time in my lifetime someone has found what they believe to be noahs ark.

OK so god was pissed at mankind for being wicked and cruel and drifting from his glory...

So why does this all omnipotent deity tell noah to save him and all the animals microbes bacteria... and on and on and on before he floods the planet to kill all the evil doers????

If was me I would just zap all the A holes and leave the planet noah and family intact??? Seems way too dramatic.

sirgonzo420
28th April 2010, 07:46 AM
You know this for sure at least the 4-5 time in my lifetime someone has found what they believe to be noahs ark.

OK so god was pissed at mankind for being wicked and cruel and drifting from his glory...

So why does this all omnipotent deity tell noah to save him and all the animals microbes bacteria... and on and on and on before he floods the planet to kill all the evil doers????

If was me I would just zap all the A holes and leave the planet noah and family intact??? Seems way too dramatic.

That's because the God of the bible is an incredibly dramatic dude.

Bullion_Bob
28th April 2010, 05:34 PM

And the animals that do not eat meat?

Even wonder how much food a large animal would consume in a year. Literally tons, multiplied by many times over.

Quite literally it's a fairy tale akin to believing in Santa Claus as an adult.

Spectrism
28th April 2010, 06:17 PM
A couple other things to consider. It does not say that full grown animals need be brought in. There was a supernatural calm on the animals and they were under the authority of Adam.

Also, when the flood hit, the sky was darkened and the animals could have gone into much like a hybernating state. If the ark was riding around at 12,000 feet, I suspect the temperatures were fairly cool. That may not be true- it is also possible that the water was freshly warmed by reactions within the earth.

It is true that this story has come up many times before.

Jim Irwin (astronaut) had a keen fascination for this. He attempted to visit the ark but was shut down by the Turk politics. This was back in the late 1980's- he talked at our church group.

I have never seen footage like this from inside the structure. This really is a big revelation that there is a manmade structure on the mounts of Ararat as the bible states the ark landed. Interesting that now we get the confirmation after decades of suspecting.

big country
28th April 2010, 06:51 PM

And the animals that do not eat meat?

Even wonder how much food a large animal would consume in a year. Literally tons, multiplied by many times over.

Quite literally it's a fairy tale akin to believing in Santa Claus as an adult.

How can you make absolute claims like this without having absolute knowledge of the world? Obviously you cannot. Unless you have absolute knowledge of EVERYTHING that has EVER HAPPENED you cannot be certain that this did not happen. People that put all their faith in science love to talk about "logic" and "reason" yet it is illogical to say something could not have happened (especially in DISTANT HISTORY) without having absolute knowledge of the past, which no one has.

It is impossible to simply write it off as never happening, and quite narrow minded as well. Or was that just your attempt to take a cheap shot a Christianity/religion?

wildcard
28th April 2010, 11:50 PM
link (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/International/2010/04/28/Noahs-ark-claim-doubted/UPI-51261272500298/)

Noah's ark claim doubted

ANKARA, Turkey, April 28 (UPI) -- Archaeologists and others are expressing skepticism a team of explorers has found the remains of Noah's ark on Turkey's Mount Ararat.

"I don't know of any expedition that ever went looking for the ark and didn't find it," Paul Zimansky, an archaeologist at Stony Brook University in New York state, told National Geographic. ;D

The alleged discovery was announced in Hong Kong Monday by Turkish and Chinese explorers from Noah's Ark Ministries International.

"It's not 100 percent that it is Noah's ark, but we think it is 99.9 percent that this is it," Yeung Wing-cheung, a filmmaker who traveled with the explorers, told the Daily Mail.

The explorers say they found seven large wooden compartments buried under snow on the mountain at 13,000 feet above sea level in 2007 and 2008, and returned with a film crew last October.

"The structure is partitioned into different spaces," Noah's Ark Ministries International team member Man-fai Yuen said in a statement. "We believe that the wooden structure we entered is the same structure recorded in historical accounts."

In the biblical account, Noah built a large boat called an ark at the behest of God and loaded it with his family and two of every species of animal in order to survive epic flooding. Some believe the ark wound up on Mount Ararat.

The team says radiocarbon-dated wood taken from the secret discovery site shows the purported ark is about 4,800 years old, which coincides roughly with the biblical time frame.

Biologist Todd Wood, director of the Center for Origins Research at Bryan College in Tennessee, has his doubts because he questions the accuracy of carbon-dating and thinks the vessel would have been used to build homes after the flood waters receded.

"I'm really, really skeptical that this could possibly be Noah's ark," he said.

Biblical scholar Jack Sasson of Vanderbilt University in Tennessee also says it's doubtful Noah landed on Mount Ararat.

"The whole notion is odd, because the Bible tells you the ark landed somewhere in Urartu," he said, referring to an ancient kingdom in eastern Turkey, "but it's only later that people identified Mount Ararat with Urartu."

Bullion_Bob
30th April 2010, 12:07 AM
It's just another hoax:

http://michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabble/2010/04/noahs-ark-paleobabble-update

" I was the archaeologist with the Chinese expedition in the summer of 2008 and was given photos of what they now are reporting to be the inside of the Ark. I and my partners invested $100,000 in this expedition (described below) which they have retained, despite their promise and our requests to return it, since it was not used for the expedition. The information given below is my opinion based on what I have seen and heard (from others who claim to have been eyewitnesses or know the exact details).

To make a long story short: this is all reported to be a fake. The photos were reputed to have been taken off site near the Black Sea, but the film footage the Chinese now have was shot on location on Mt. Ararat. In the late summer of 2008 ten Kurdish workers hired by Parasut, the guide used by the Chinese, are said to have planted large wood beams taken from an old structure in the Black Sea area (where the photos were originally taken) at the Mt. Ararat site. In the winter of 2008 a Chinese climber taken by Parasut’s men to the site saw the wood, but couldn’t get inside because of the severe weather conditions. During the summer of 2009 more wood was planted inside a cave at the site. The Chinese team went in the late summer of 2009 (I was there at the time and knew about the hoax) and was shown the cave with the wood and made their film. As I said, I have the photos of the inside of the so-called Ark (that show cobwebs in the corners of rafters – something just not possible in these conditions) and our Kurdish partner in Dogubabyazit (the village at the foot of Mt. Ararat) has all of the facts about the location, the men who planted the wood, and even the truck that transported it."

Kali
30th April 2010, 12:24 AM
They don't need to ever find the Ark to confirm my belief.

If God said it happened, it happened.

jedemdasseine
30th April 2010, 04:58 AM
It's just another hoax:

http://michaelsheiser.com/PaleoBabble/2010/04/noahs-ark-paleobabble-update

" I was the archaeologist with the Chinese expedition in the summer of 2008 and was given photos of what they now are reporting to be the inside of the Ark. I and my partners invested $100,000 in this expedition (described below) which they have retained, despite their promise and our requests to return it, since it was not used for the expedition. The information given below is my opinion based on what I have seen and heard (from others who claim to have been eyewitnesses or know the exact details).

To make a long story short: this is all reported to be a fake. The photos were reputed to have been taken off site near the Black Sea, but the film footage the Chinese now have was shot on location on Mt. Ararat. In the late summer of 2008 ten Kurdish workers hired by Parasut, the guide used by the Chinese, are said to have planted large wood beams taken from an old structure in the Black Sea area (where the photos were originally taken) at the Mt. Ararat site. In the winter of 2008 a Chinese climber taken by Parasut’s men to the site saw the wood, but couldn’t get inside because of the severe weather conditions. During the summer of 2009 more wood was planted inside a cave at the site. The Chinese team went in the late summer of 2009 (I was there at the time and knew about the hoax) and was shown the cave with the wood and made their film. As I said, I have the photos of the inside of the so-called Ark (that show cobwebs in the corners of rafters – something just not possible in these conditions) and our Kurdish partner in Dogubabyazit (the village at the foot of Mt. Ararat) has all of the facts about the location, the men who planted the wood, and even the truck that transported it."

Makes more sense than the official story.

Do the Chinese even realize the extent to which they have credibility issues?