PDA

View Full Version : GSUS H Ponce.........SNOWINGGGGGGGG.

Ponce
28th April 2010, 06:37 AM
I don't believe it...........about one inch of snow outside.....snowing like mad.

Anyone else?

MNeagle
28th April 2010, 06:42 AM
Not near you, but I believe it!! Hope you haven't put a garden in yet!

Stay warm.

Awoke
28th April 2010, 06:43 AM
Snowing in CUBA?!?!

;)

RJB
28th April 2010, 06:43 AM
I had an odd dream that it snowed on my garden last night.

In reality, there was a freeze warning in the higher elevations around me.

oldmansmith
28th April 2010, 06:59 AM
Yep, it is snowing here right now (not sticking fortuntely!). I'm at 1,100 feet (high altitude for Taxachusetts) and have all kinds of stuff in the garden, mostly under row covers. Had asparagus, kale, collard greens and salad out of the garden yesterday.

One May we had 5 snowstorms here, hope no repeat....

MNeagle
28th April 2010, 07:04 AM
I remember a few years ago, we were up north (Central MN) and it was snowing on Memorial Day.

I looked out & told my husband about it, and he said "April Fool". Joke was on him once he had to brush the car off!

Ponce
28th April 2010, 07:09 AM
Hahahahahaah Awoke..........I am from Cuba, not in Cuba..........I am in Oregon.

It looks like Christmas outside.........didn't have the first snow till about Feb 20 and then it was almost nothing.

Celtic Rogue
28th April 2010, 07:12 AM
Feliz Navidad mi amigo!!! :) :) :)

Ponce
28th April 2010, 07:20 AM
Gracias chico ;D.........well, back to bed I go, been up since 0500 and is now 07.19 .......am tired..........the life of a retiree is a hard one hahaahahahahah.

See ya in a while.

MNeagle
28th April 2010, 08:46 AM
Spring storm drops up to 2 feet of snow in northern NY and New England; thousands lose power

MONTPELIER, Vt. - A late-season snowstorm dumped up to 2 feet of heavy, wet snow on northern New York, Vermont and New Hampshire by Wednesday morning, cutting off power to thousands, closing some schools and leaving roads slippery.

"It definitely caught people off guard, considering we had 80 degrees back in March. It's a problem because some people swapped their (snow) tires out already," said Vermont highway dispatcher Greg Fox.

About 30,000 customers were without power in Vermont, New Hampshire and northern New York at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. Utility officials said it could be Thursday before power is fully restored.

"We've been hammered all night," said New York State Police Trooper Eric LaValley of the Ray Brook barracks, in the Adirondack Mountains.

Large storms so late in the season are rare. On April 23, 1993, 22 inches of snow was reported in Malone, N.Y., and on April 27, 1874, 24 inches of snow was reported in Bellows Falls, Vt., said Mark Breen, the senior meteorologist at the Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium in St. Johnsbury.

"You really do have to stretch to find events like this," Breen said.

Many trees across the region have already started to bud, but temperatures didn't fall much below freezing.

"The green part isn't a problem. Snow is basically protecting leaves from temperatures getting colder," Breen said.

Instead, the danger to the trees comes because the leaves gives the snow more surface area to cling to, making them more susceptible to breaking under the weight of the snow.

Snowfall records were set Tuesday and Wednesday at the Burlington International Airport, the National Weather Service said. Tuesday's 2.8 inches at the airport eclipsed the record of 1.3 inches set on the date in 1946, and by 7 a.m. Wednesday 2.7 inches had fallen, beating the record of seven-tenths of an inch set on the date in 1966, said meteorologist Brooke Taber.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/92311564.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUl

Ponce
28th April 2010, 10:06 AM
That must be why the Earth is warming up so fast........ :conf: :oo--> :conf:

drafter
28th April 2010, 10:47 AM
We had some crazy rain and hail on the coast this morning, but no snow. You can keep the snow, I don't want any.

Ponce
28th April 2010, 11:08 AM
Well, after the two earthquake in Cuba (which we never had before) anything is possible.

Awoke
28th April 2010, 11:17 AM
Hahahahahaah Awoke..........I am from Cuba, not in Cuba..........I am in Oregon.

It looks like Christmas outside.........didn't have the first snow till about Feb 20 and then it was almost nothing.

I was just kidding around, Ponce.

;)

Ponce
28th April 2010, 12:06 PM
And now is raining like mad.........what a crazy weather......something is going to happen, to many crazy things is going on worldwide.

PS: All the snow is now gone.

By the way, already planning as to how to make my 3,500 gallons water tank into a floating vessel...........1/3 of the water will stay inside, a platform two feet above the water line and another one six inches above the first one........the first one to stop the slush of water and on the second one to build it for storage of food cans and so on......one foot above the second one my sleeping arrangement and around the outside of the tank a platform to walk on.

The water at the bottom for balance so that it will keep upright.

nunaem
28th April 2010, 12:41 PM
I had an odd dream that it snowed on my garden last night.

In reality, there was a freeze warning in the higher elevations around me.

Odd, I dreamt that there was about 3 feet of snow on the ground last night. But I live in MN so it's not an uncommon sight.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Eugene from the old board would want this link posted:

http://sirocco.accuweather.com/sat_mosaic_400x300_public/rs/isarun.gif

wildcard
28th April 2010, 05:29 PM
You ever notice how old timers are always complaining about the cold? :P

Here you go Mr. Rogers:

http://condrenrails.com/Madison-2006-2007/Washington-DC-2007/Mr-Rogers-sweater.jpg

JTM3
28th April 2010, 06:45 PM
And now is raining like mad.........what a crazy weather......something is going to happen, to many crazy things is going on worldwide.

PS: All the snow is now gone.

By the way, already planning as to how to make my 3,500 gallons water tank into a floating vessel...........1/3 of the water will stay inside, a platform two feet above the water line and another one six inches above the first one........the first one to stop the slush of water and on the second one to build it for storage of food cans and so on......one foot above the second one my sleeping arrangement and around the outside of the tank a platform to walk on.

The water at the bottom for balance so that it will keep upright.

Thats sounds really interesting, if I could figure out a daily use for it. I won't ask you for it, but it would be cool to see some plans. I'll try to figure out some plans for a variation based on your description. Also, how would you avoid Carbon Monoxide poisoning without losing buoyancy?

I want one! :o

Ponce
28th April 2010, 06:57 PM
Carbon Monoxide??????? no motor no sail......glad to just float. Should keep me and my cat alive for at least six months........or until rescued... the top has a cover about 15" round.

It would take me about a week to do the job.

This is only one of the many things that I think about in my "What would happen if" world.

JTM3
28th April 2010, 07:09 PM
Carbon Monoxide??????? no motor no sail......glad to just float. Should keep me and my cat alive for at least six months........or until rescued... the top has a cover about 15" round.

This is only one of the many things that I think about in my "What would happen if" world.

If you do get it sorted out I would like to see a picture, or if you could scan and post/e-mail a sketch of it. Even if "it" didn't happen, I could see this being fun to camp out on. It's like a "Get Out of Dodge"-ed house "boat". <eybe even just fun for someone to take out on a small lake if it's on private property.

AndreaGail
29th April 2010, 07:19 AM
we got an inch of snow today after having a high of70 degrees yesterday ;D :conf:

Neuro
29th April 2010, 07:25 AM

Ponce, holy books will be written by cigar smoking felines, in a couple of thousand years later! :banrasta

Ponce
29th April 2010, 08:24 AM
Mr. 3........is just a plain 3,500 gallons PVC blk water tank, nothing special about it and all that I say is that I am just "thinking" about it and not actually doing it...same way that I "thinking" on going on vacation to Mars hahahaahahah.

Neuro? as long as "If you don't hold it, you don't own it" lives it doesn't even need to have my name for it.

First post of the day............good morning to one and all.

old steel
29th April 2010, 09:47 AM
Second winter storm in two weeks blowing through here at the moment.

It's right at the freezing mark with snow and strong north winds.

Good day to stay inside.

Neuro
29th April 2010, 10:13 AM
Good morning Ponce. I live by that paradigm, may the progeny of your ark roam the earth ever after... ;)

uranian
30th April 2010, 06:39 AM
meanwhile, it's been raining (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2010/04/29/north-pole-rainfall.html#ixzz0maVYeXSA) at the north pole!

Spring showers are next to non-existent in the High Arctic, so Environment Canada's senior climatologist says he's baffled to hear that it rained near the North Pole this week.

A group of British scientists working off Ellef Ringnes Island, near the North Pole, reported being hit with a three-minute rain shower over the weekend. The group reported the rain on Tuesday.

Rain in the High Arctic in April is nothing short of bizarre, said David Phillips, senior climatologist with Environment Canada.

"My business is weird, wild and wacky weather, and this is up there among fish falling from the sky or Niagara Falls running dry," Phillips told CBC News in an interview that aired Thursday.

"I mean, it really is strange. You just don't expect it to rain in the High Arctic in April; maybe in July and August. And certainly for these scientists from Europe coming over, they must have been also mystified."

Phillips said 50 to 60 years of historical weather data show no signs of rainfall ever occurring in April in the High Arctic.