PDA

View Full Version : I have fallen in love with Pre-1933 US Gold Coins!

brigadeer
29th April 2010, 09:07 PM
I have slowly been working on my gold stack since March of '08, when I finally woke up to the economic reality in America. I have stuck with purchasing the more common government issued gold bullion coins (Maples, GAE, Buffs, Kangaroos, Phil, etc).

When making my last purchase, I decided I wanted to try something different and purchased my first Pre-1933 US Gold Coins. I just got them today, a $20 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle and a $5 Indian Head Half Eagle.

They are my new favorite coins, and by a long shot. The Indian Head is really cool IMHO due to the uniqueness of how it was minted, and the Indian Head looks really freakin cool as well.

However, the King of the stack so far is the $20 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle. I got both from Apmex and got the cheapest they had, those being labeled "lightly polished/cleaned", which is exactly what I wanted anyway. I was buying them as bullion coins, not numismatic coins. I did pay a slightly higher premium for it compared to an AGE, but not that much more, less than $50 I believe, and it was well worth it!

Call me corny, but I think it's really cool to hold and own a coin from 1924 (Double Eagle) that was actually put into circulation and was passed along who knows how many times, and if that wasn't enough, it somehow survived Roosevelt's gold confiscation all those years, and made it's way into my hands some 86 years later. If all goes well, it will find it's way into my son's hands when he becomes a man.

Another thing about the Double Eagle, I was really surprised at how big it is. It is the same diameter of a Gold Phil, which I really like! I remember posting on Kitco last year after I got my gold Phil how much I liked it, even more so than the Gold Maple and GAE I already had. I just thought the coin looked so much more substantial with the larger diameter. The Saint Gaudens Double Eagle is just an all around great coin.

It must have been really cool walking around back in the twenties with a few of those jingling around in your pocket, what a feeling I imagine.

jedemdasseine
29th April 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry, brigadeer, but I cannot help you. You've experienced pre-33 US gold, and now there's little hope. I wish you luck, for I've seen this love affair before, and it always goes the same way: more pre-33 US gold. :)

brigadeer
29th April 2010, 09:49 PM
jedemdasseine, you don't know how right you are. I'm already looking at getting a $10 Indian Head Eagle . I may very well pick up another Double Eagle, that's how much I like them.

G2RAD, I highly suggest you pick up at least one pre-1933 coin (preferrably a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle) if you can. I would bet you wouldn't be disappointed that you spent an extra $50 for one.

brigadeer
29th April 2010, 09:54 PM
jedemdasseine, you don't know how right you are. I'm already looking at getting a $10 Indian Head Eagle . I may very well pick up another Double Eagle, that's how much I like them.

some day you will have to part with them.

will you be able to?

G2RAD,

My hope is that I won't have to. That said, in the event I ever do find myself having to get rid of them, I would do so in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, I love the gold coins themselves, the history behind them, the beauty, etc, BUT, I try not to lose focus on why I bought them in the first place. For me, they were purchased solely as insurance. Insurance against runaway inflation, a currency collapse, you name it.

In summary, if a series of unfortunate events unfolded to where I found myself needing to liquidate the very coins I am praising in my thread, I would do so in a heart beat for the betterment of my family, which is the entire reason why they were purchase in the first place.

jedemdasseine
30th April 2010, 04:59 AM
Might as well enjoy whatever gold you have–––and while you have it. :)

brigadeer
30th April 2010, 06:04 AM
Might as well enjoy whatever gold you have–––and while you have it. :)

Agreed! I was talking to one of my good friends yesterday after I emailed him over an interesting article I found regarding all of the corruption, etc.

He more or less told me I was being too negative and cynical. I thought about it for awhile and somewhat had to agree with him. There's nothing wrong with being informed about what's going on, and trying to "wake up" as many friends and loved ones around you. That said, at some point you also have to live your life and not let all that is going on around you steal your happiness.

So to your point, I buy the gold coins as insurance against something terrible that I unfortunately think has a good chance of happening in the future (otherwise why would I buy them?). That said, I don't need to ruminate over how and why I might need to get rid of them in the future. I should just enjoy them while I have them now as you point out.