PDA

View Full Version : Spirulina

uranian
30th April 2010, 02:25 PM
Never saw much mention of this on GIM, but it's one of the best superfoods out there:

Protein

Spirulina contains an unusually high amount of protein, between 55% and 77% by dry weight, depending upon the source. It is a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine, and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs, and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.

Essential fatty acids

Spirulina is rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and also provides alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid (LA), stearidonic acid (SDA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and arachidonic acid (AA).

Vitamins

Spirulina contains vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin E.

Minerals

Spirulina is a rich source of potassium, and also contains calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc

Photosynthetic pigments

Spirulina contains many pigments including chlorophyll-a, xanthophyll, beta-carotene, echinenone, myxoxanthophyll, zeaxanthin, canthaxanthin, diatoxanthin, 3'-hydroxyechinenone, beta-cryptoxanthin, oscillaxanthin, plus the phycobiliproteins c-phycocyanin and allophycocyanin.

Proposed by NASA and ESA as one of the best foods for long-term space missions. A mass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_%28dietary_supplement%29#Evidence_of_hea lth_and_healing_effects) of health benefits. there's even evidence (http://algbiotek.com/spirulina-faydalari/PDF%20Dosyalar/spirulina-anti-kanser-abstracts.pdf) that it can repair damaged DNA. an anecdotal story, my partner recently had an antioxidant level test done, and the results shocked the testers, so high were her levels...she's been taking spirulina regularly for years.

it tastes absolutely foul!

http://johnstodderinexile.files.wordpress.com/2006/03/Spirulina.jpg

definitely useful stuff to have as a natural multivitamin and multimineral.

uranian
1st May 2010, 05:43 AM
from what i've read, chlorella is even better than spirulina, but i have no personal experience of it.

uranian
1st May 2010, 12:47 PM
nutrex was the brand we went with too, they look good, and were very straightforward in offering a refund when a few of the jars we ordered arrived broken.

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st May 2010, 05:19 PM
Spirulina tastes like concentrated grass clippings blended with pond scum with a frog a two thrown in.

Desolation LineTrimmer
2nd May 2010, 05:47 PM
From a culinary point of view dogs are not exactly good role models for what's tasty. Some dogs have a taste for dog poop, others will gorge on horse manure. Many of them like to eat grass until they vomit. Hmm, maybe that's why they like spirulina. Don't get defensive because I'm making fun of spirulina. I used to consume the stuff myself and probably will again, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it tastes like pond scum. In fact, it is pond scum!