PDA

View Full Version : US cites progress toward sanctions against Iran

Ponce
1st May 2010, 07:31 AM
But for the fact that the Zionists gave orders to "hate" Iran I see no reason for doing so.
=================================================

US cites progress toward sanctions against Iran

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Susan Rice, the US ambassador to the United Nations, said Friday that progress has been made toward drafting tough new sanctions against Iran but declined to predict when they would be imposed.

"We are going to continue our efforts in New York and in capitals through the beginning of next month and as long as it takes," Rice told reporters during a visit to Washington.

"We are working continuously with our partners on the P5-plus-1," she said when asked for an update on the negotiations.

She was referring to the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France -- the five permanent veto-wielding members of the UN Security Council -- plus Germany, which have been leading efforts to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions.

China has proved to be the main holdout to tough new sanctions against Iran.

"Those discussions have been happening with a significant pace and intensity," Rice told reporters.

"I think they have yielded progress. We have some continued work to do. I think that they are worthwhile and we expect further progress to come," she said.

"We are working to complete this effort as swiftly as possible. We attach urgency to securing a strong and meaningful resolution," she said.

She added that she cannot predict "exactly when it will all be cooked but we are pushing for as soon as possible."

President Barack Obama's administration stepped up its efforts to impose new sanctions on Iran after complaining that Tehran had balked at its offer to engage diplomatically on nuclear and other issues.

But the diplomatic effort to win support for sanctions has taken longer than expected.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the US Senate in late February that a new UN Security Council resolution could be obtained in the "next 30 to 60 days."