PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Ad Leads to Deadly Attack on Family

wildcard
1st May 2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-craigslist-attack,0,6573447.story

Craigslist Ad Leads to Deadly Attack on Family

KTLA News

2:09 PM PDT, April 29, 2010

EDGEWOOD, WA -- A father is dead and four armed robbery suspects are on the loose after a violent attack that started with a Craigslist ad.

According to Detective Ed Troyer, three men and a woman arrived at a home on 106th Avenue Court East late Wednesday night.

They said they were there to purchase an expensive ring advertised on Craigslist.

The group flashed some cash, then pulled guns on the family.

A 14 year old son in the house tried to fight off one of the suspects and was hit in the head with a gun.

His father was shot and killed.

Det. Troyer says the suspects then tied up the mom, but a second younger son was able to run out of the house to safety.

Troyer says the suspects then ransacked the house before getting away.

They stole several items from the home, but police say they dumped those items at a nearby off-ramp.

There's no word on the condition of the mom, or the 14-year-old son, but he was taken to the hospital.

Police are looking still looking for the suspects, and are interviewing nearby businesses to see if there is any surveillance video of their getaway.

The Tacoma News Tribune says this might be related to a second Craigslist robbery earlier that night when another person was tied up and had his car stolen.

Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to arrests and charges. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

Police are now saying that the same suspects are wanted in a more recent home invasion robbery in Lake Stevens.

Call Crime Stoppers at 253-591-5959.

wildcard
1st May 2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/kcpq-042910-lake-stevens,0,723293.story

Two Suspects Sought, "Craigslist" Robbers Hit Another Home Before Deadly Attack
Police say two male suspects went to a Lake Stevens home after responding to victim's Craigslist ad. Its a similar crime to last night's deadly attack in Edgewood. Cops now believe the two crimes are connected.

http://www.q13fox.com/media/alternatethumbnails/story/2010-04/53541665-29100258-400225.jpg

Here is a description of both suspects: African American male, 18-24 years old, 5'6", 160 lbs, thin build, goatee. Mixed race male (Asian/African American) 18-24 years, 5'10", 170 lbs, thin build, tattoo on neck.

Olmstein
1st May 2010, 04:03 PM
Always meet up at a neutral site for craigslist transactions. Someplace public, Starbucks works nicely.

wildcard
1st May 2010, 04:05 PM
Always meet up at a neutral site for craigslist transactions. Someplace public, Starbucks works nicely.

Especially since SB's has no issue with people carrying protection there.

Olmstein
1st May 2010, 04:10 PM
Especially since SB's has no issue with people carrying protection there.

Protection is important.

wildcard
1st May 2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/28/starbucks-gun-policy-refu_n_480062.html

I was thinking more along these lines:

http://www.the-dirtiest.com/images/Siauto.jpg

ximmy
1st May 2010, 04:43 PM
http://www.q13fox.com/media/alternatethumbnails/story/2010-04/53541665-29100258-400225.jpg

I think I just saw those two guys...

wildcard
4th May 2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.kval.com/news/national/92816714.html

Three charged in deadly Craigslist robbery

http://media.kval.com/images/100504_edgewood_suspects_4.jpg
From left, Kiyoshi Higashi, Joshua Reese and Amanda Knight are seen in booking photos provided by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

EDGEWOOD, Wash. -- Pierce County prosecutors have charged three people in a home-invasion robbery that left an Edgewood man dead.

Sheriff spokesman Ed Troyer said two of the suspects were captured in California over the weekend, and a third surrendered to police on Tuesday.

Troyer said Pierce County sheriff's detectives are in California, and investigators are also working in Western Washington to capture other people believed to be involved.

"We are 100 percent confident that we have identified the group," Troyer said.

Joshua Nathan Reese, 20, and Kiyoshi Alan Higashi, 22, were captured during a traffic stop in Daly City, just outside of San Francisco.

Troyer said Amanda Knight was arrested during the same traffic stop but posted bail before detectives connected the three to the killings. She turned herself in again on Tuesday evening after her photo was released to the media.

"She showed up at a police station in Sumner," he said.

It was not immediately clear when she returned to Washington.

All three have been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and assault in connection with the April 28 shooting that took the life of 43-year-old James Sanders.

Sanders was shot to death at his home after letting in a group of people who said they were considering purchasing a diamond ring Sanders had listed on the Craigslist website.

Detectives believe Sanders was shot three times while trying to protect his teenage son, who tried to fight back against the robbers.

According to court documents, sheriff's deputies received a tip from someone who said Higashi called his father from jail in California and said police there confiscated a handgun used in the Edgewood murder.

The tipster told investigators that Knight went to the Sanders house to pretend to buy the ring, and that Resse pistol whipped James' son.

The documents indicate that another man was responsible for shooting James, and the tipster said Higashi told his family that the deadly robbery "wasn't supposed to go that way."

Speaking to reporters after announcing the arrests, Troyer had no sympathy for the suspected robbers' intent.

"These people are heinous," he said. "The shooting was just something that didn't have to happen, but it's not a big step when you're willing to go point guns at people, tie them up and put them on the floor.

"Do we feel sorry for them that they think something went wrong? Absolutely not. They had their chance to come in and talk to us -- any one of them -- instead of take off and run away. We're thrilled to be able to charge every single one of them."

Police in Lake Stevens are investigating a similar robbery where a family was robbed after listing a flat-screen TV on Craigslist.

Officials said they believe the people involved in the the deadly Edgewood robbery are also responsible for the Lake Stevens incident.

Festina Lente
4th May 2010, 07:51 PM
http://r4nt.com/images/db/issues/v56/virgin.jpg

:oo-->

goldmonkey
4th May 2010, 07:56 PM
Here is a description of both suspects: African American male, 18-24 years old, 5'6", 160 lbs, thin build, goatee. Mixed race male (Asian/African American) 18-24 years, 5'10", 170 lbs, thin build, tattoo on neck.

At least they didn't use Scandinavian tactics:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d7sen6.jpg

Gangsta99
4th May 2010, 08:17 PM
Always conceal carry when I am doing a deal via Craigslist. Had some worthless black punk in my area robbing people w/ a gun via Craigslist deals. He got busted yesterday or today by local police.

1970 Silver Art
4th May 2010, 09:29 PM
This story is just another reason not to do Craigslist IMO. The money that you might be saving is IMO not worth the risk that you are taking when meeting a stranger, even in a neutral place.

Apocalypto
5th May 2010, 07:30 PM

From left, Kiyoshi Higashi, Joshua Reese and Amanda Knight are seen in booking photos provided by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

WTF is up with those smiles? BURN EM.

Festina Lente
5th May 2010, 09:41 PM

WTF is up with those smiles? BURN EM.

That's the first thing I thought, especially the black guy's big ass smile. WTH?

Gypsybiker45
6th May 2010, 02:18 AM
This story is just another reason not to do Craigslist IMO. The money that you might be saving is IMO not worth the risk that you are taking when meeting a stranger, even in a neutral place.

I dont know, To me its not much different than using the local newspaper classifieds. I use it quite often. I think when dealing with precious metals,guns, gems or jewelry your better off in a neutral spot.

1970 Silver Art
6th May 2010, 03:32 AM

I dont know, To me its not much different than using the local newspaper classifieds. I use it quite often. I think when dealing with precious metals,guns, gems or jewelry your better off in a neutral spot.

You have a point there Gypsybiker in that it is not different than using the classifieds. When a person responds to a classified ad in the newspaper, they do not know what they might be getting into. I will admit that I have never used local classifieds (except for finding a job) and I have never used Craigslist. I prefer to pay a higher premium on PM's by dealing with people that I know and trust (i.e. my local dealer).

hoarder
6th May 2010, 06:42 AM

Mass media hates Craigslist because they, along with the rest of the internet have really killed newspapers. Notice the article doesn't suggest that classified ads in general are dangerous, just Craigslist.
I have sold a lot of my unwanted junk on craigslist with no problems whatsoever but exercise common sense (well armed) when selling big ticket items for cash.
Unless an item is very large, I just throw it in my truck and meet them somewhere. The fact that I don't give out my address does not make buyers nervous. I tell them (truthfully) that I live several miles off pavement behind locked gates.
Surprisingly, I have never had a problem with no-shows or someone deciding they don't want the item after they see it because I price them reasonably and fully disclose condition.

1970 Silver Art
6th May 2010, 07:17 AM

Mass media hates Craigslist because they, along with the rest of the internet have really killed newspapers. Notice the article doesn't suggest that classified ads in general are dangerous, just Craigslist.
I have sold a lot of my unwanted junk on craigslist with no problems whatsoever but exercise common sense (well armed) when selling big ticket items for cash.
Unless an item is very large, I just throw it in my truck and meet them somewhere. The fact that I don't give out my address does not make buyers nervous. I tell them (truthfully) that I live several miles off pavement behind locked gates.
Surprisingly, I have never had a problem with no-shows or someone deciding they don't want the item after they see it because I price them reasonably and fully disclose condition.

Yeah. The Internet is slowly killing off the newspaper. The yearly declining newspaper revenue is proof of that.

I still think that it is not worth the risk but it was not the MSM that told me that. It was reading what other people on the internet and elsewhere have said about it. To be fair, there were also some people that said that they had no bad experiences and had good deals as a a result from using Craigslist. It is a personal decision on whether or not someone wants to use Craigslist.

wildcard
7th May 2010, 02:32 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/419558_suspect05.html?source=mypi

Fourth Craigslist killing suspect ID'd; others plead not guilty

http://www.seattlepi.com/dayart/20100505/clabon_berniard.jpg
Clabon Terrel Berniard

TACOMA - The Pierce County Sheriff's Office has identified the fourth suspect in the Craigslist killing as a 23-year-old SeaTac man.

A nationwide arrest warrant has been issued for Clabon Terrel Berniard on charges of first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and second-degree assault.

Berniard is suspected of involvement in an April 28 robbery-turned-homicide at a home in Edgewood in which four suspects posed as buyers interested in a ring advertised for sale on the Craigslist website.

Once inside the home, the suspects shot dead the homeowner, Jim Sanders, and stole the ring and other valuables.

Berniard is described as a black male, 5-foot-11-inches, with black hair and brown eyes, weighing about 200 pounds. He is known to frequent the Seattle, Kent and SeaTac areas.

Meanwhile, the other three people charged in the home-invasion robbery all pleaded not guilty in court Wednesday.

Joshua Nathan Reese, 20, and Kiyoshi Alan Higashi, 22, both of Tacoma, made their pleas in a Redwood City, Calif., courtroom. Both were captured during a traffic stop in Daly City, just outside of San Francisco.

Both broke down and cried as they entered the courtroom.

The judge ordered both be held without bail. The two have waived extradition and will be transferred to Washington.

In Pierce County Superior Court, 21-year-old Amanda Knight of Sumner was also teary-eyed as her lawyer entered her not guilty plea on her behalf.

Knight was arrested during the same traffic stop but posted bail before detectives connected the three to the killings. She turned herself in again on Tuesday evening in Sumner after her photo was released to the media.

Judge Patrick Oishi ordered her held on $2 million bail.

All three have been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and assault in connection with the April 28 shooting that took the life of 43-year-old James Sanders.

Sanders was shot to death at his home after letting in a group of people who said they were considering purchasing a diamond ring Sanders had listed on the Craigslist website.

Detectives believe Sanders was shot three times while trying to protect his teenage son, who tried to fight back against the robbers.

According to court documents, sheriff's deputies received a tip from someone who said Higashi called his father from jail in California and said police there confiscated a handgun used in the Edgewood murder.

The tipster told investigators that Knight went to the Sanders house to pretend to buy the ring, and that Resse pistol whipped James' son.

The documents indicate that another man was responsible for shooting James, and the tipster said Higashi told his family that the deadly robbery "wasn't supposed to go that way."

After court let out Wednesday, Jim Sander's widow Charlene implored those accused to find religion.

"Turn your life over to Christ," Charlene Sanders said. "Because that is the only way that I am going to be able to go through life is my faith."

Kiyoshi Higashi's sister Jacqueline said Wednesday she doesn't believe her brother would ever choose to kill someone.

"If they get convicted of it, it's not because of their choice," she said. "I think they got influenced by Amanda or whoever else they were hanging out with."

In the meantime, she says it's tough dealing with the thought of her brother in such trouble.

"It's sad, especially if it's your own family," she said. "I never thought my family or friends would be involved in something like this.

Knight's next court appearance is scheduled for June 24.

wildcard
7th May 2010, 02:32 AM
Vid at link (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/4th-suspect-caught-in-wash-craigslist-killing-19634246)

FreeEnergy
7th May 2010, 05:25 AM
Craiglist is EXCELLENT. Don't let mass media scam you into thinking it is bad. The tragedy would've been exactly the same had it been a local newspaper classified.

Well, maybe we should start putting ads for some banksters on craiglist.

wildcard
7th May 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm not knocking craigslist. Just hope most of the folks here have the sense to go armed to a neutral place in public and not invite savages into your home late at night.

Gypsybiker45
8th May 2010, 06:47 AM
I'm not knocking craigslist. Just hope most of the folks here have the sense to go armed to a neutral place in public and not invite savages into your home late at night.

Common sense means dont sell PMs or jewelry on any private ad. Ebay is much better for that kind of thing, the fees are a little stiff, but it is what it is, anonymous. CL is great for household stuff, cars, boats etc.

JDRock
8th May 2010, 09:04 AM
Racially profile profile profile......it can save your life.

hoarder
8th May 2010, 11:00 AM
Common sense means dont sell PMs or jewelry on any private ad.A lot of people do buy and sell PM's on Craigslist with no problems at all. You still have to use common sense. If you live in say, Chicago or LA forget it. What some people do is rapport building. They do a small transaction to get to know the person they're dealing with and then do repeat transactions. They use false names.
When they graduate to larger transactions they go armed and meet in a public place.

JDRock
8th May 2010, 02:15 PM
If im dealing some SERIOUS coin, ill go in heavy.... if it looks REALLY shady how about a meet in the police station lobby.....got a problem with that? :taunt: