PDA

View Full Version : Gaza workers struggle to survive amid siege, unemployment

wildcard
1st May 2010, 08:08 PM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-05/02/c_13275417.htm

Gaza workers struggle to survive amid siege, unemployment

by Sami el-Ajrami

GAZA, May 1 (Xinhua) -- Jawdat Abu Nahel, a 41-year-old Gaza resident, sat in a corner at the Unknown Soldiers Park in downtown Gaza city, where he spent 16 hours a day selling tea and coffee, after losing his job in Israel four years ago.

Abu Nahel lives in the Shatti (Beach) Refugee camp in the western part of the city, and has to provide for his family with seven children. He said he used to work in Israel in the field of construction, with a monthly pay of 6,000 shekels (about 1,613 U.S. dollars). "But now I live on the edge of financial collapse."

"When I worked in Israel, I managed to purchase a house near my parents, got married and had five daughters and two sons," said Abu Nahel.

Before Israel closed its borders to the Gaza Strip population, around 150,000 Palestinians used to work in Israel in different fields.

Since the second Intifada or Uprising erupted against Israel in late September 2000, Israel started a gradual ban of workers from Gaza to work in Israel. Since Hamas seized control of the enclave in 2007, all Gaza workers were driven out of Israel.

After he lost his job in Israel, Abu Nahel worked in a silvering workshop. However, he was obliged to leave this job after Israeli warplane missiles targeted these workshops, claiming that they helped militants in making homemade rockets that they fired at southern Israel.

Abu Nahel began to look for other sources of living, whatever the source is. He did not have the money to start even a small profitable business, so he began to sell hot drinks to drivers and storekeepers on the road.

Every morning, he left his 3-room apartment, with an Asbestos ceiling, his primitive tools and a bag full of tea, coffee and sugar, hoping that his upcoming day would be better than the previous ones.

He got back home late at night, finding his children asleep. He went to sleep, thinking all the time how he can keep his children surviving. He never took a day off, and worked seven days a week.

"Sometimes I borrowed money from friends and relatives to buy tea, sugar and coffee, and sometimes I can't find money to take a taxi from my house to the Unknown Soldiers Park and I walked on foot," said Abu Nahel sadly.

According to the Palestinian Statistics Bureau, the unemployment rate in the Gaza Strip reached 38.6 percent in 2009, adding that around 40 percent of the 1.5 million people living in the impoverished blockaded enclave of the Gaza Strip are living under the line of poverty."

Ahmed al-Kurd, the minister of labor in the deposed government of Islamic Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip told Xinhua that his ministry "is working on offering irregular emergency support to the unemployed workers, in addition to the small businesses and projects that temporarily employ workers."

"There are not more than 2,000 workers who are getting benefits out of these temporary projects," al-Kurd said, adding that his government and other charities in the Gaza Strip "are trying to solve the problem of 20,000 workers, out of 150,000."

He said that the only solution for the current crisis of the workers in the Gaza Strip "is to end the unfair Israeli siege and allow all construction raw-material into the Gaza Strip, which would for sure help end the crisis of unemployment."

"The unfair siege that Israel imposed on the Gaza Strip had deprived the workers from their simple and basic rights," al-Kurd said.

The deteriorated economical situation in Gaza had prompted thousands of unemployed workers to look for risky jobs, even in smuggling tunnels that the Palestinians dug under the borderline between Egypt and the Gaza Strip. According to Gaza rights groups' figure, 145 workers died in those tunnels.

In the middle of his work, Abu Nahel worried about his 7-year- old daughter, whose sickness needs permanent therapy. But his income wouldn't be enough to feed his children and buy them the medicine they need.

"I live a very hard life, because even one day I don't work, my children won't find anything to eat. Death might be much better than such kind of life. My daily average income is not more than 40 shekels a day, which is far from enough amid the crazy price hikes," said Abu Nahel. (1 U.S dollar equals to 3.72 Shekels)

Occamsrazor
1st May 2010, 08:16 PM
f*ck gaza workers.
PS.Forgot to add, fuck them amid siege and unemployment.

Ponce
1st May 2010, 08:17 PM
My heart goes to him and theirs......here in the states we can do something about it but nothing in Palestine.

wildcard
1st May 2010, 08:33 PM
f*ck gaza workers.
PS.Forgot to add, f*ck them amid siege and unemployment.

Your scholarly opinion has been noted. Trundle along now. I'm sure your dealer is waiting on you.

Occamsrazor
2nd May 2010, 02:40 PM
f*ck gaza workers.
PS.Forgot to add, f*ck them amid siege and unemployment.

Your scholarly opinion has been noted. Trundle along now. I'm sure your dealer is waiting on you.

You mean my leader?
PS. I die a 1000 small deaths thinking about what Jewish bolksheviks did in Russia between 1917 and 1937. I die a small death daily thinking about the American men and women who had to jump from WTC on 911 and those firefighters who went upstairs but never came back, who met their horrendous deaths not knowing whose agenda was behind 911.
But I don`t give a sh*t about Palestinians.

You have never met a 100% honest man in your life, wildcard. It must be a bewildering experience for you.

Ponce
2nd May 2010, 02:49 PM
Mr. Razor...........the main thing that really pisses me off is that those who could do something about it are doing nothing.........if the western world wants to kiss the behind of the Zionists that their problem but for the Arab world not to speak with a stronger voice I then have a problem with that.

My mother, Irish-American, was in a Cuban prison between 1959-1962 for "counter revolutionaries activities (as a good American that she was) and the US didn't do a DANM thing about it........at the time I was in the Army stationed in Alaska............................I don't blame Castro, for whatever reason, but do blame the US government for doing nothing about it.

Occamsrazor
2nd May 2010, 03:25 PM
Mr. Razor...........the main thing that really pisses me off is that those who could do something about it are doing nothing.........if the western world wants to kiss the behind of the Zionists that their problem but for the Arab world not to speak with a stronger voice I then have a problem with that.

My mother, Irish-American, was in a Cuban prison between 1959-1962 for "counter revolutionaries activities (as a good American that she was) and the US didn't do a DANM thing about it........at the time I was in the Army stationed in Alaska............................I don't blame Castro, for whatever reason, but do blame the US government for doing nothing about it.

Cuba has 100% literacy rate, one of the best medical systems in the world (and free), nobody in Cuba is hungry. I could go on and on and on...

Would you like Cuba to become another American-controlled Latin American hellhole where people drink water from puddles and where the majority of kids have underdeveloped brains due to the lack of protein in the diet?

I think you do.

Ponce
2nd May 2010, 04:00 PM
Mr. Razor.........my anger is towards the US and not towards the Cuban government...........and I would never like to see the US in Cuba.

What is going on in Cuba to many people it is poison.......but it is my poison.

One thing that Castro did right was to get rid of 3,000 of the 5,000 "Jews" that were in Cuba.

The Cuban people are doing all that they can to stay alive and nothing else....but, they can sure party on the weekends.

Occamsrazor
2nd May 2010, 05:22 PM
Mr. Razor.........my anger is towards the US and not towards the Cuban government...........and I would never like to see the US in Cuba.

What is going on in Cuba to many people it is poison.......but it is my poison.

One thing that Castro did right was to get rid of 3,000 of the 5,000 "Jews" that were in Cuba.

The Cuban people are doing all that they can to stay alive and nothing else....but, they can sure party on the weekends.

I`ve met many Cubans in USA. Some of the warmest welcomes I`ve ever received in my life were from Cubans after I told them I was from USSR. And these are not the most ardent Castro supporters. It is because Russians brought to Cuba infrastracture, medicine, industry etc instead of exploitation and death, the things that USA brings to Latin America and now Iraq.

Khruschev was a scumbag but he said it right:
"The nature of support USA gives to other countries is the kind the rope gives to a hanged man".

chad
2nd May 2010, 05:33 PM
razor, can you post your treatise about "how you'll die a stalinist" (or whatever it was again). i read it once on gim, but then lost the link.

Occamsrazor
2nd May 2010, 06:15 PM
razor, can you post your treatise about "how you'll die a stalinist" (or whatever it was again). i read it once on gim, but then lost the link.

I`ll start a thread on Stalin soon, my GIM and Agora threads were erased. I don`t want to hijack threads and will offer people to put any Stalin info they have in my future thread.

chad
2nd May 2010, 06:34 PM
thanks, pm me when you do it, so i don't miss it. i'm intrigued.