PDA

View Full Version : Best site to purchase long lasting (10+ year) canned/freeze dried foods

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2010, 08:07 PM
I once found a great site with awesome prices I think linked from GIM1 but I forget what it was called. If anyone likes a certain place online or local to them shout it out and I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Heimdhal
2nd May 2010, 10:52 PM
I once found a great site with awesome prices I think linked from GIM1 but I forget what it was called. If anyone likes a certain place online or local to them shout it out and I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Honeyville?
Mountain House?

Just a few off the top of my head.

YukonCornelius
2nd May 2010, 11:55 PM
After taking a quick look it was neither of those but thank you anyways. I will check out items and compare prices. Have you had experience with either? Let's hear about it when you have the time.

Thank you

Heimdhal
3rd May 2010, 09:13 AM
After taking a quick look it was neither of those but thank you anyways. I will check out items and compare prices. Have you had experience with either? Let's hear about it when you have the time.

Thank you

Ive ordered from Honeyville but not mountain house. Ive heard good things about both though. Imacannin probably has more ordering experiences from more places than I though, she could give you a better run down.

Korbin Dallas
3rd May 2010, 09:40 AM
If you order over the phone, ask for a first time discount. They offer free shipping on case orders:

http://www.readymaderesources.com/cart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=201

MNeagle
3rd May 2010, 09:51 AM
www.beprepared.com
or
www.honeyvillegrain.com are the only two that I have bought from.

Honeyvilles prices are cheaper and 4.99 shipping.

How are the products? Have you tried them?

Heimdhal
3rd May 2010, 10:58 AM
I have eaten the Honeyville stuff. It is ok. Most of the Beprepared stuff is weird stuff like powdered peanut butter -ect. I have not tried it, kind of saving it for when Dung gets really bad.

To be honest, I much prefer dehydrating my own - what I can anyway - I feel more secure knowing that its organic and how it was preserved.

Powdered peanut butter......

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :'( :'(

Heimdhal
3rd May 2010, 11:25 AM
To be honest, I much prefer dehydrating my own - what I can anyway - I feel more secure knowing that its organic and how it was preserved.

Powdered peanut butter......

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :'( :'(

Kind of scary,,,, isn't it????? ???

Its down right blashpemy! :boom

k-os
3rd May 2010, 11:31 AM
I have ordered from EmergencyEssentials.com - well, it looks like that redirects to beprepared.com

I have not tried any of it, but no matter what it tastes like, if things get bad enough, I will eat it.

Blink
8th May 2010, 09:21 AM
I buy Safecastle/Mountain House products. Haven't opened a can yet though..... Pretty good company to deal with.

Stop Making Cents
18th August 2010, 07:51 PM
I ordered some oats off the Latter-Day Saints website. 30 Year shelf life. Free shipping.

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

mightymanx
18th August 2010, 08:22 PM
www.provident living.com a for profit survival website

Not to be confused with:

www.providentliving.org which is the LDS church site

Both have great info but not very well known probably because lots of people freak out when you say Mormon or LDS.

Phoenix
18th August 2010, 09:24 PM
Both have great info but not very well known probably because lots of people freak out when you say Mormon or LDS.

I find the Book of Moron laughable, but anyone who "freaks out" about Mormon expertise in emergency preparedness is probably not someone we want surviving anyways.

I fully endorse LDS church resources, and resources run by Mormons like Emergency Essentials.

Kali
18th August 2010, 11:40 PM
Mountain House uses terrible ingredients such as HVP...I bought some and will store for when everything else runs out.

RUSH.IS.A.BAND
19th August 2010, 08:57 AM
I recently noticed Honeyville started carrying a freeze dried pouch line. See http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/60servingfoodbucket.aspx

WISE FOODS ... Anyone know of, or tried this brand yet. Says the nitrogen flush like M.H. l. (Im sure they got the usual 55+ % sodium too) :P

crazychicken
19th August 2010, 09:32 AM
Agree on both points.

Thanks CC

I find the Book of Moron laughable, but anyone who "freaks out" about Mormon expertise in emergency preparedness is probably not someone we want surviving anyways.

I fully endorse LDS church resources, and resources run by Mormons like Emergency Essentials.

chad
19th August 2010, 02:27 PM
i order from honeyville and the lds site all of the time.

we both use it + store it.

both are very good. i use the lds winter wheat (i have a grinder) to make almost all of our bread. favs from honeyville (with my kids) are the freeze dried fruits. the vegetables are good too (i use them to make soup in the winter). the powdered eggs aren't bad either.

Saul Mine
19th August 2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks

I once got some stuff from Neolife/Nest. I never understood why they used two brand names, and now they no longer use Nest. Their mixed fruit was fine, but anything with spices was terrible: a chemical taste and it made my scalp itch. (They acknowledged the deficiency and offered a line of vitamins to correct it.)

I would not worry about long term storage, especially if you have to pay extra for it. Plain old canned food will last many years. As long as the can doesn't swell it's still ok to eat. A big problem with the long term storage is the huge change of diet when you start to eat it. You don't want a change of diet along with an emergency situation. Store what you eat. Eat what you store.