PDA

View Full Version : Front Page AOL: ACCEPT THAT SS IS ALREADY BROKE

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 07:47 AM
But when you click on the link you get a nice rosy title like this

http://www.aolnews.com/opinion/article/opinion-putting-the-security-back-in-social-security/19456474?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl8|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fopinion %2Farticle%2Fopinion-putting-the-security-back-in-social-security%2F19456474#19456474

Putting the Security Back in Social Security

Social Security needs fixing, most analysts agree, but supposedly we had a few more years to work out the details. Now the crisis is upon us. This year, Social Security will pay out more in benefits than it collects in employer and employee contributions, but the problems don't stop there.

If the economy suffers a "double dip" -- meaning the current recovery soon turns into recession -- Social Security may never return to the black. Worse still, the "trust fund" is an accounting gimmick and doesn't represent a genuine pool of savings. On top of all the other bleak news, Americans need to accept that Social Security is already broke.

Analysts have been warning that the annual surpluses -- the difference between how much the government collects for the Social Security component of FICA versus the total benefits paid out in any given year -- would gradually shrink to zero. It was inevitable that Social Security would eventually slide into deficit, because of the underlying demographics and because it was a Ponzi scheme from the beginning.

The first Social Security retirees collected benefits far in excess of what they paid in during their last working years. Over the decades, the chain-letter process continued: Current workers would pay for current retirees, and the only way to keep the system going was to hope that a new crop of young workers would arise to fund the next batch of retirees as they in turn started collecting checks.

Relatively fewer workers now support the population of retirees. The officially estimated year at which the system would go permanently into the red has bounced around, but the depth of the current recession took analysts by surprise. Because of high unemployment and early retirement, this year the system is already in deficit.

The Congressional Budget Office now estimates that Social Security will briefly return to the black in 2014 and 2015, before plunging -- permanently -- back into the red. Yet even this projection assumes that we will avoid another downturn.

Defenders of the current system argue that Social Security is still solvent, because of the $2.5 trillion "trust fund." They argue that there is no emergency, because the system can draw down these savings to fund the annual deficits between payout and pay-in, allowing the system to stay afloat until 2037. Yet this is an illusion.

In past years, the Social Security system typically took in more revenues than it paid out. If the trustees had used those annual surpluses to buy, say, shares of mutual funds or bonds issued by foreign governments, then the accumulated $2.5 trillion in the trust fund would indeed provide a large cushion during which the system could be reformed.

Instead, the federal government raided the surplus and took that extra money and spent it. Of course, Uncle Sam is "good for it"; the Social Security trustees have $2.5 trillion worth of IOUs issued by the Treasury, and they will cover their annual deficits (at first) by selling off these assets.

Yet from the point of view of the taxpayer, the Social Security trust fund is an accounting gimmick. If an intern accidentally dropped the entire contents of the trust fund into a paper shredder, the taxpayer would be unaffected. Either way, taxpayers are on the hook for paying all the Social Security benefits.

In 2010, the crisis is upon us and we are still in search of a solution. Ultimately, the only way to fix the actuarial insolvency of Social Security will be to increase taxes, cut benefits or both

Shami-Amourae
3rd May 2010, 07:50 AM
Current:

How confident are you that Social Security will be there when you retire?
Not at all 52%
Somewhat 28%
Very 20%
Total Votes: 25,582

Thankfully more than half of the respondents aren't mentally retarded.

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 07:52 AM
Paying into something that you understand wont be there when you need it is not the brightest move that can be made.

Just saying.

Thanks for posting that poll SA

T

Shami-Amourae
3rd May 2010, 07:54 AM
...what about when the people asking you to pay have more guns than you?

Book
3rd May 2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.clickofthemoment.com/images/rude-granny.jpg

Granny will ALWAYS get her Social Security check. Who wants her moving in with them?

:oo-->

Ares
3rd May 2010, 09:08 AM
You can't fix a Ponzi scheme, they always collapse.

wildcard
3rd May 2010, 09:16 AM

Then you take as many as you can with you.

Ponce
3rd May 2010, 09:24 AM
From the article.......the difference between how much the government collects for the Social Security component of FICA versus the total benefits paid out in any given year

I already collected about five times more than what I put into it...........come on you lazy bumbs, get towork......I need my SS.

sorry :boohoo

cigarlover
3rd May 2010, 09:41 AM
Gotta love the Gov.. We will tax you and your employer for SS benefits that you will get someday.. Maybe. Now, when we collect this tax we will use it anyway we want and then when there isnt enough money there to pay out benefits, we will tax you some more.

There has already been a case taken to the Supreme court and the court has said that SS is nothing more than a special tax and there is no promise to pay anyone anything. Congress can basically end SS tomorrow and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

wildcard
3rd May 2010, 09:45 AM
Congress can basically end SS tomorrow and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

Of course something can be done about it. People are so terrified to even think of it though.

Ponce
3rd May 2010, 09:49 AM
Left alone everything would had been OK.........but........the government had to "borrow" the money for war.

k-os
3rd May 2010, 10:01 AM
My dad claims that they've been saying SS will be defunct since he was a kid. He's 65. He and I disagree on most things political, so I tend not to exactly trust him on this statement. He's going to get his, and that's OK by me.

I don't understand why we all just go along with this SS scam, myself included. It seems like there would have been a tax revolution by now. I am still hoping for one . . . I filed an extension.

I received my SS Statement two days ago, and it says right on the first page that it won't be around when it's time for me to retire. On the next page, it shows me the amount that I will get per month when I do retire (even though they nullified that on the first page). What the chart says I will receive in 30 years (if they don't up the retirement age again by then) won't even cover my current mortgage payment per month. Think about what that will cover in 30 years with inflation. My goodness, what a joke.

On the other hand, if I were to be disabled right now, I could get enough to cover my mortgage payment and maybe my electricity too. So, there's some incentive.

gunDriller
3rd May 2010, 12:26 PM
On the other hand, if I were to be disabled right now, I could get enough to cover my mortgage payment and maybe my electricity too. So, there's some incentive.

if they accept your claim. i've known a few people who applied with legitimate claims and had to hire Binder & Binder to help them deal with the SS bureacracy. of course the law firm gets 25% of the first claim check.

i wonder if the SS disbursements will get wierder & wierder. for example,
"$2000 Social Security Grant
Withheld $200 for Obama-care.
Added $44 Obama-care Affordability assistance.
Withheld $50 for FDIC insurance.
Added $55 from the 2011 Economic Reform Act."

etc.

they will have more & more taxes - and then more & more little adjustment handouts to help people afford Obama's brainstorm's.

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 12:53 PM

Gotta love that Angle they are working...........

Book
3rd May 2010, 01:12 PM
Gotta love that Angle they are working...........

I am stealing your awesome image TT. Best image of The System.........ever!

:D

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 02:10 PM
Gotta know where to properly " place your sights"

T

1970 Silver Art
3rd May 2010, 02:23 PM
My dad claims that they've been saying SS will be defunct since he was a kid. He's 65. He and I disagree on most things political, so I tend not to exactly trust him on this statement. He's going to get his, and that's OK by me.

I don't understand why we all just go along with this SS scam, myself included. It seems like there would have been a tax revolution by now. I am still hoping for one . . . I filed an extension.

I received my SS Statement two days ago, and it says right on the first page that it won't be around when it's time for me to retire. On the next page, it shows me the amount that I will get per month when I do retire (even though they nullified that on the first page). What the chart says I will receive in 30 years (if they don't up the retirement age again by then) won't even cover my current mortgage payment per month. Think about what that will cover in 30 years with inflation. My goodness, what a joke.

That is assuming that the dollar is still around 30 years from now.

I have already dealt with the fact that ss will not be there if/when I make it to retirement age. I just have to take care of myself.

k-os
3rd May 2010, 02:29 PM

I have already dealt with the fact that ss will not be there if/when I make it to retirement age. I just have to take care of myself.

While I understand that sentiment, because you and I are in the exact same position, aren't you just a little bit peeved that you are paying for something which you know you will not benefit from?

1970 Silver Art
3rd May 2010, 02:48 PM

While I understand that sentiment, because you and I are in the exact same position, aren't you just a little bit peeved that you are paying for something which you know you will not benefit from?

Heck yeah. I do not like the fact that I am paying for something that I know I will not see if/when I reach retirement age. As far as I know, there is nothing much that I can do about it since I am an employee (i.e. W2 income earner) of a large corporation.

Book
3rd May 2010, 02:51 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/02/large_iStock_000003018092XSmall.jpg

Like previous geezers paying for educating you and me and other people's kids?

:oo-->