PDA

View Full Version : 1 Detroit police officer killed, 4 wounded after responding to 911 call at vacan

wildcard
3rd May 2010, 09:07 AM
It's getting crazier out there.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/92655684.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiacyKUnciaec8O7 EyUr

1 Detroit police officer killed, 4 wounded after responding to 911 call at vacant house

By JEFF KAROUB and DAVID RUNK , Associated Press

Last update: May 3, 2010 - 10:15 AM

DETROIT - Police responding to a report of gunshots at a vacant duplex in Detroit where a neighbor said drugs were sold were met with heavy gunfire early Monday, authorities said. One officer was killed and four others were wounded, police said.

It was the first time in five years that a Detroit police officer has been killed in the line of duty, Police Chief Warren Evans said. Two of the four surviving officers were treated and released and the two still hospitalized were expected to recover, police said.

The suspect, a man in his mid-20s, was arrested after fleeing the home, said Evans. He was shot once in the lower back and was being treated at a local hospital, police spokesman John Roach said.

Evans said officers responded to the two-story building about 3:30 a.m. after a next-door neighbor reported hearing shots.

Shelia Brown, 47, said she was awakened by two to three gunshots early Monday, followed by eight to nine more. Brown said has been offered drugs by people while walking past the house.

"They ask you if you want to buy weed," said Brown, adding that she has previously called police, but "they come out but the guys are gone by then."

The officers who responded to the call Monday positioned themselves at the front and rear entrances of the building, Roach said. He said officers at the front of the house were met with heavy gunfire.

The officer who was killed, who had been on the job at least 12 years and had a 10-year-old son, was shot inside the home and struck multiple times, Roach said.

"It's a tough time for all of us," said Evans. "We're all kind of in a state of shock."

Evans and Mayor Dave Bing visited the slain officer's widow at St. John's Hospital in Detroit, where officers exchanged hugs early Monday morning with some of the dozens of people who had gathered outside an emergency room entrance awaiting word on the injured.

"It was the worst feeling I've had since I've been in this position," Bing said. "Our community needs to stand up."

big country
3rd May 2010, 09:16 AM
Well it obviously wasn't a vacant home...

Too bad though, hate to see cops killed in duty, even if I disagree with what they do 90% of the time

wildcard
3rd May 2010, 09:18 AM
Usually don't see street punks that sling weed having gun battles with the cops. Seems like escalation to me.

Ponce
3rd May 2010, 09:27 AM
Stupid dick heads..........the cops...........they send the SWAT team when one officer could do the job and plain cops when they should send the SWAT team.

Brent
3rd May 2010, 10:28 AM
It was the first time in five years that a Detroit police officer has been killed in the line of duty, Police Chief Warren Evans said.

How is that possible?

wildcard
3rd May 2010, 10:31 AM
The cops only cruise white neighborhoods? :D

General of Darkness
3rd May 2010, 10:37 AM
There is only one solution for Detroit

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/nuke-it-from-orbit.jpg

Brent
3rd May 2010, 10:39 AM
The cops only cruise white neighborhoods? :D

Oh right, of course. Why would they go to the crime ridden areas where they might actually have to do their job instead of extorting money from innocent Whites who at the most committed a victimless crime.

Oh and GoD that would make the area unlivable, better to just use normal explosives. ;D

General of Darkness
3rd May 2010, 10:41 AM
Oh and GoD that would make the area unlivable, better to just use normal explosives. ;D

But it's not livable now, so how would things change? :ROFL:

Olmstein
3rd May 2010, 11:42 AM
It was the first time in five years that a Detroit police officer has been killed in the line of duty, Police Chief Warren Evans said.

How is that possible?

That is what stands out from the article to me, too.

Cebu_4_2
3rd May 2010, 02:04 PM
I think most police have been laid off, the other 6 are usually hanging at the donut shop in Allen Park cause there aren't any donut shops in Detroit. Now we have 2 police to work the city, doubt you'll be seeing much police action now. In my lifetime I have not seen a pothead with a gun, I think there was a bit more involved than some bud.

How is that possible?

That is what stands out from the article to me, too.

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 02:09 PM
You can bett your bottom dollar they will be staying clear of these areas in the future and focus more on the dangerous job of revenue gerneration.

T

1970 Silver Art
3rd May 2010, 02:58 PM
You can bett your bottom dollar they will be staying clear of these areas in the future and focus more on the dangerous job of revenue gerneration.

T

You can only put up so many red light cameras in Detroit. I seriously doubt that all the revenue enhancement in the world is going to save Detroit. Detroit is falling deeper and deeper into a "coma" and I doubt that it will get out of that "coma". It is probably safer in Baghdad than it is in Detroit.

cigarlover
3rd May 2010, 03:09 PM
I remember when I first starting working in Bridgeport Ct in the early 90's. I came out of work with the owner of the company my first day and there were "firecrackers" going off everywhere. I asked why the celebration in Oct? He replied it wasnt fireworks, it was gunfire LOL. Started carrying after that. There was also a section of the city where the cops refused to go. Of course thats where all the criminal activity was but hey they wernt there to put their asses on the line. They just wanted a paycheck and a pension.

BoatingAccident
3rd May 2010, 03:24 PM
. There was also a section of the city where the cops refused to go. Of course thats where all the criminal activity was but hey they wernt there to put their asses on the line. They just wanted a paycheck and a pension.

They probably just wanted to go home alive at the end of the night, like most folks.

The thing is, a cop on patrol has the disadvantage of being a target....and the cop is stuck in the car taking gunfire. Not good, especially if you don't know where the gunfire is coming from. You just know, you are sitting in a car, taking hits.

It's understandable, there's areas where it's not safe for cops to be on patrol...or if they are, they need to use extreme caution. Those are the areas without power, without phone service, without any medical response. I don't think there's any areas like that anymore, but if there are, it would be in Detroit.

MNeagle
3rd May 2010, 03:58 PM
Here's one from St. Paul suburb this weekend:

Charges: Cop shot in head, his seat belt buckled

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/92671259.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKU7D YaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUs

Olmstein
3rd May 2010, 08:10 PM
They probably just wanted to go home alive at the end of the night, like most folks.

The thing is, a cop on patrol has the disadvantage of being a target....and the cop is stuck in the car taking gunfire. Not good, especially if you don't know where the gunfire is coming from. You just know, you are sitting in a car, taking hits.

It's understandable, there's areas where it's not safe for cops to be on patrol...or if they are, they need to use extreme caution. Those are the areas without power, without phone service, without any medical response. I don't think there's any areas like that anymore, but if there are, it would be in Detroit.

All of these "unsafe areas" are caused by prohibition and the violence associated with the black market. If the cops would speak out a bit more against prohibition,instead of getting their jollies busting "dopers", the entire country would be much safer. For the public and the cops.

Every cop in this country has made a decision to go to war against the people's liberty, and then they bitch when their opponents fire back.

BoatingAccident
3rd May 2010, 08:14 PM

Every cop in this country has made a decision to go to war against the people's liberty, and then they bitch when their opponents fire back.

Wrong, the opponents "bad guys" fire first. Understand that. The cops are there to protect liberties, at least they should be.

Olmstein
3rd May 2010, 08:19 PM

Wrong, the opponents "bad guys" fire first. Understand that. The cops are there to protect liberties, at least they should be.

The only reason these bad guys exist is because of the enormous profits to be made in the black market. If you remove prohibition, those profits go away, and these "bad guys" become "businessmen".

Why can't cops grasp this simple concept?

Olmstein
3rd May 2010, 08:20 PM

And another thing. When one is at war, firing first is a pretty good strategy sometimes.