PDA

View Full Version : Saw a sign today at Wendy's.

Plastic
3rd May 2010, 02:07 PM
Yah, yah I know fast food bleh etc... But this was interesting, and a bit unsettling.

Went to South Bend Indiana to buy some pear trees I had to order for the mini orchard that I am building. (By the way, there seems to be a fruit tree shortage these days as mine are not special in any way other than the fact they were delivered all the way from oklahoma which is downright weird.......)

Anyway, I saw this sign at Wendy's and it read something like this. (due to the record cold in Florida and other southern states there is a shortage of tomatoes and they will not be included in our products until further notice unless specifically requested.)

Sounds like we have a new crisis, the great American tomato shortage.

Dunno about anyone else, but I have tomatoes in my makeshift greenhouse waiting until later this month to transplant. 100 yummy, delicious, brandywine heirlooms.

Thought you might like the heads up incase you wanna stock up on pasta sauce.

k-os
3rd May 2010, 02:10 PM
My dad told me he saw that sign at Wendy's too (in Florida). I don't have a problem finding tomatoes at the Latin market that I go to.

Twisted Titan
3rd May 2010, 02:12 PM
Heirloom seeds???........

T

Low Pan
3rd May 2010, 02:13 PM
have seen this sign on the Wendy's here in the MidWest for the past 2mo's. The one by my work is actually faded from the sun now.

Ponce
3rd May 2010, 02:13 PM
The same for "Burger King".........remember in CA where they would give you water at a restaurant only if you were to ask for it?

Plastic
3rd May 2010, 02:18 PM
Heirloom seeds???........

T

Always. :)

Libertarian_Guard
3rd May 2010, 02:18 PM
Did you happen to notice if the price of orange juice went up?

This would confirm that the Florida freeze did in fact happen.

k-os
3rd May 2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, it happened. It was cold! Brrrrrrrr.

A cold snap will actually make oranges sweeter, if it doesn't kill them.

1970 Silver Art
3rd May 2010, 02:26 PM
I am not worried about the tomato shortage. If there was a shortage of orange juice, then that is a real crisis. ;D

Yeah the price of orange juice did go up some at Walmart. Bummer. I can live with that as long as there is no shortage of orange juice. ;D

steveoc
3rd May 2010, 02:30 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't Wendys an Ice-Cream franchise ?

"Ill have a double sugar cone vanilla, with chocolate sprinkles, and a tomato on top thanks"

??????????

ximmy
3rd May 2010, 02:35 PM
No shortage of tomatoes here.. orange juice has always been expensive..

sirgonzo420
3rd May 2010, 02:43 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't Wendys an Ice-Cream franchise ?

"Ill have a double sugar cone vanilla, with chocolate sprinkles, and a tomato on top thanks"

??????????

Wendy's is a fast-food chain similar to a McDonald's.

Perhaps you are thinking of Dairy Queen... but even Dairy Queen sells club sandwiches, hamburgers, chili dogs, and other miscellaneous non-ice-cream items.

willie pete
3rd May 2010, 02:51 PM
Plenty of tomatoes, I picked these today from the field, $1.50 lb

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8480/0000157.jpg (http://img406.imageshack.us/i/0000157.jpg/)

Ash_Williams
3rd May 2010, 04:03 PM
I saw that years ago. I guess it's back.

JohnQPublic
3rd May 2010, 04:15 PM
Well, it beats....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebfLWAB8bY4&feature=related

Grand Master Melon
3rd May 2010, 05:26 PM
They've had that sign up for a couple of months at the Wendy's by my house but yet they're putting tomatos on the burgers.

The sign I find more interesting is the "North American Beef" sign and we know that there's not a lot of beef in Canada coming here so we can safely bet that the beef is Mexican in origin. Funny stuff.