PDA

View Full Version : Fist Fights for Bottled Water in America

Book
4th May 2010, 04:18 PM
http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/210x118/100502_no_water_sign.jpg

Stores sell out of bottled water

WESTON, Mass. -- The boil water order for dozens of communities led to a rush for bottled water at local supermarkets.

Many stores said they ran out of water about an hour after Saturday’s announcement. While some were lucky, others were left empty-handed. “People were fighting over the water. People were walking out with tons and tons of water. They weren’t trying to share. But they got to fist fighting in there, so I just gave up. I’ll go home and boil my own,” said one woman.

Some stores will be getting more shipments overnight. “We’re going to have to find some somewhere. There has to be some water somewhere, or we’ll just have to go home and boil it,” said one man. Officials remind people to make sure to boil water for at least one minute, and let the water cool before drinking.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/MI139127/

Please visit the Firearms sub-section here at GSUS for problem-solving ideas wtshtf.

:)

k-os
4th May 2010, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately, we've seen this kind of behavior in Florida a few times after and even before hurricanes strike. It's a very sad indicator of societal decline.

Down1
4th May 2010, 05:26 PM
This isn't making my state look good.
Hopefully some people might become aware of preps because of this.
Hopefully some people will become aware of what government dependencies do to people.
Speaking of dependencies, check this quote out from the OPs link

Officials remind people to make sure to boil water for at least one minute, and let the water cool before drinking.
Do they really need to remind people to let boiling water cool before drinking it ?
Imagine the violence if this was a life or death scenario.
This violence was just from lazy asses who didn't want to boil water.

TPTB
4th May 2010, 06:07 PM
Ewww... Boiled water is awful. I only drink fried water. :oo-->

Book
4th May 2010, 06:14 PM
Imagine the violence if this was a life or death scenario.
This violence was just from lazy asses who didn't want to boil water.

My very point. Violence now and we are not even near wtshtf yet. Over a bottle water...lol.

BoatingAccident
5th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Amazing. I find it ironic, by prepping, "hoarding" to some, I would be considered selfish by them. I feel like I need to be quiet about it.

Yet, when some emergency comes, and I'm prepared and possibly sharing with others....those same folks will be buying all they can fit in their carts, and fighting to take others belongings.

Human nature truly can not be explained....well, not explained logically that is.

Heimdhal
5th May 2010, 04:31 PM
Ive mentioned it a few times on GIM back in the day but I feel it may bear repeating.

My first big lesson in REAL preperation and human social decline during an emergency was when I was 18-19 working the loading docks at walmart and we had a couple hurricanes zip through the state (this was back in 04).

When the curfews were lifted and people could go out during the day, they flooded walmart to pull as much food and water as they could off the shelves. During the first hurricane there was a boil water order going out for most of my town, but none the less, we were running out of bottled water faster than it could be shipped in.

After a couple days of having literaly no bottled water, we got a few emergency shipments in from other walmarts in the area. I had the "pleasure" of helping to bring out these quite literal 1,000-2,000 pound pallets of water to the sales floor. They were shrinked wrapped, but people were trying to LITERALY claw at the pallets to get water as we were wheeling them out.

Dont know if anyones ever steered a 1,000 pound pallet jack, but its not the easiest even when hordes of people arent trying to topple it over. We had to push them off cause they were almost tipping these things over on other people, which surley would have easily killed some one.

The minute we would release the pallet and pull the jack out they would rip the shrink wrap off and grab as much as they could, pushing over little old ladys, mothers, kids, men, whoever. It was sheer lunacy and panic over a perceived need for water.

Anyways, this is just my anectodal experiences coming from a place where people are genearly more prepared than most because of our hurricanes.

I had over heard people later saying how even though they had more than enough water, electricy, gas, etc at home, they wanted to get more "just because". These were some of the same people I saw literaly stepping on others and pushing others out of the way to get a cart full of water.

Book
5th May 2010, 04:47 PM
Excellent post Heimdhal. Thank you.

:)

BoatingAccident
5th May 2010, 05:45 PM
I had over heard people later saying how even though they had more than enough water, electricy, gas, etc at home, they wanted to get more "just because". These were some of the same people I saw literaly stepping on others and pushing others out of the way to get a cart full of water.

Eye opening post Heimdhal, thanks for sharing.

I guess this is why we prepare, in a nutshell. So if/when the chaos starts, we can confidently retire back to our homes, and protect what's ours, and those we care for.

When people panic, it's contagious. Like a wildfire, it can overwhelm the masses quicker than they realize. They don't stop to think, they just act.

This week, I'll revalue my preps, and fill in the gaps as needed.

Heimdhal
5th May 2010, 06:00 PM
Saul Mine has brought up a good point many times before about why people "prep" and what they are prepping for, and most only invision one scenario: I.E. the gun owner preps for lengthy fire fights and stocks ammo and MRE's where as the gardener thinks they will turn into farmer brown, but both over look all other aspects.

The bulk of my wife and I's preps, though we try to envision ever possibility is so that we never become the people in wal-mart pushing over 70 year old men and pregnant women to get that "last" gallon of water and can of chili (I didnt mention the near riots in the canned food sections, as the post was long enough already).

We live in florida and our relaity is that every year we run the risk of being anywhere from 1 week to 2 months at least without power, roads, access to services, etc. Florida only has a few high ways in and out, and if you live in the south of it like we do, when the highways were shut down for some weeks, stores quickly ran out of non-perishabl products as trucks couldnt be brough in, ports were closed etc.

Of course we step it up a few notches to cover all sorts of other possibilites from race riots to nuclear war, what being GSUS'ers and all, :D

MNeagle
5th May 2010, 06:16 PM
On the other side of the nation, I've always prepped for snow/blizzards. Especially when the kids were little; that makes you feel especially vulnerable.

BoatingAccident
5th May 2010, 06:55 PM
We live in florida and our relaity is that every year we run the risk of being anywhere from 1 week to 2 months at least without power, roads, access to services, etc. Florida only has a few high ways in and out, and if you live in the south of it like we do, when the highways were shut down for some weeks, stores quickly ran out of non-perishabl products as trucks couldnt be brough in, ports were closed etc.

See, that's great. People, where I live, are clueless. If we lost services for more than a day or two, all hell would break loose.

I remember, my first realization, was when I lived in Colorado (live in CA now), we had a blizzard. Day 2, I snow shoed to the local store. Because trucks could not get in, there was no restocking. The shelves were empty of anything fresh. Canned food, gone. Bottled water, gone. You could get laundry detergent! But no rice.

This was from folks who had to walk there, as the roads were closed.

I learned a lot that day. All it takes is one, maybe two, days...where the trucks can't get in and the market is worthless.

Best, get what we need, now.

Quantum
10th May 2010, 08:25 PM
My very point. Violence now and we are not even near wtshtf yet. Over a bottle water...lol.

The "threads" that hold together society are tearing rapidly. A major "incident" will be like a large knife through a spider web of the remaining social fabric.

JohnQPublic
10th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Ewww... Boiled water is awful. I only drink fried water. :oo-->

Grilled ice cubes it the best. Fried water is high in fat. :oo-->

Kali
10th May 2010, 10:50 PM
I drink my water straight.