PDA

View Full Version : The Drying Up Of The Ogallala Aquifer

Ponce
5th May 2010, 11:48 AM
This post was part of a larger article but one that I didn't know about..... notice the 800 gallons per minute.
=======================================

The Drying Up Of The Ogallala Aquifer

Most Americans have never heard of the Ogallala Aquifer, but it is absolutely critical to food production in many areas of the United States.

The water from this massive underground lake is used to irrigate much of America's Great Plains. But it is being drained at a rate of approximately 800 gallons per minute and it is starting to dry up.

So why is that a bad thing?

Well, the Ogallala Aquifer is a gigantic underground lake that stretches from southern South Dakota all the way through northern Texas, covering approximately 174,000 square miles.

If it gets depleted, the era of "pivot irrigation" in the region will be over. That would mean that the Great Plains could quickly turn into the Great American Desert.

America could very well see a return to the Dust Bowl days of the 1930s.

Are you prepared for that?

Even if agricultural production continues to grow normally, scientists are telling us that the world is heading for a massive global food shortage. So what happens if our food production does not increase or is even reduced?

Sadly, the United States has only enough grain stored up to give about a half a loaf of bread to every man, woman and child in the United States.

How long do you think that is going to last in the event of a major emergency?

The truth is that "the good times" we have all grown up with are not going to last forever. The United States is in big trouble economically, and all of these natural disasters and environmental problems are not helping things one bit.

We are not entitled to endless wealth and prosperity just because we are Americans. In fact, we have recklessly squandered the wealth that prior generations have left for us.

But even as the economy crumbles around them, millions of Americans will remain in denial until the day they have to cook a dinner of "mouse soup" for their starving family.

Ifyouseekay
5th May 2010, 12:53 PM
-

Horn
5th May 2010, 01:19 PM
Slowing the Rate of Depletion.

The Ogallala Aquifer is being both depleted and polluted. Irrigation withdraws much groundwater, yet little of it is replaced by recharge. Since large-scale irrigation began in the 1940s, water levels have declined more than 30 meters (100 feet) in parts of Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. In the 1980s and 1990s, the rate of groundwater mining , or overdraft, lessened, but still averaged approximately 82 centimeters (2.7 feet) per year.

Read more: Ogallala Aquifer - depth, important, system, source http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html#ixzz0n5V7Ijod

Twisted Titan
5th May 2010, 01:35 PM
And guess who buying up the land that sits on top of it hand over fist???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22010764/

Mr.XXXX has amassed 2 million acres over the past two decades to become the largest private landowner in the United States

T

silversurfer
5th May 2010, 01:56 PM
This post was part of a larger article but one that I didn't know about..... notice the 800 gallons per minute.
=======================================

the article must be missing a few zeros on the gallons depleted per minute as it's not

unusual for individual wells to pump out nearly twice that much and

there are 1000's and 1000's of those

Johnny Ringo
5th May 2010, 02:49 PM
Didn't click on the link, TT, but it's none other than Ted Turner, isn't it?

Yeah, they're draining that bad boy at an alarming rate. One example from a video I saw about 7 years ago pointed out that farmers were growing soybeans in an area of Colorado that averages 11 inches of rain per year. Yeah, they probably use "a little" irrigation.

So this isn't really news. Years ago, guys at sites like Gunpowder and Whiskey were saying stuff like, "The next war won't be over money, gold, or land. It will be over water."

Maybe not the next war, but one of the big ones will be.

Cebu_4_2
5th May 2010, 03:36 PM
Time to get back into PICO

mick silver
5th May 2010, 03:39 PM
i just added 125 more ac to my land i own last week the place i just got has two springs that run year round that run into a 10 ac lake i am betting that the water one day will cost as much as oil ... who knows