PDA

View Full Version : Do I put the 3x DOT or 3x9 on the 7.62x.39?

General of Darkness
5th May 2010, 08:10 PM
I was looking at all my rifles and ALL my glass is f'd up.

Here's my current setup, and I think it's just do to putting glass on gear as I build it, so DON'T LAUGH

1,000 yarder on my IMBEL aka FAL, BUT it's a heavy barrel
AIMPOINT with 3x on the DPMS .308
3x9 on the XCR that's chambered for 7.62x.39
Red dot on the AR-15
FN-SLP semi-auto shotgun, nothing

This is what I'm thinking. The XCR while bitchen, from my understanding the 7.52x39 is a 300 yard round.

FAL - IRON SIGHTS
DPMS - 1,000 yarder
XCR - AIMPOINT with 3x
AR-15 - 3x9
FN-SLP - Red dot

What do you guys say?

crazychicken
5th May 2010, 08:26 PM
I have good glass on my SOCCOM ll and the Barrett.

Iron sights on everything else.

CC

hoarder
5th May 2010, 08:28 PM
I have pondered the same. With aging eyes I need glass. But scopes on SHTF rifles usually mean slow target aquisition.

If you choose a scope for a defensive rifle, think about one that has very forgiving eye relief and a wide field of view. It would be a real drag wasting 3/4 of a second getting the enemy in your crosshairs while he's shooting at you.

I presently have a target scope on a heavy barreled AR15. It's fun for target work. If I throw it to my shoulder and look through the scope I see black until such time as I adjust my face to the exact position that permits me to see through the damn thing.

I have an old Leopold 3x9 with a 50mm objective lens that I've been thinking about mounting on it. It has regular duplex crosshairs so it might not be much good in the dark, but when I put my face anywhere near the ocular lens I immediately have a great picture.

General of Darkness
5th May 2010, 08:37 PM
Oh for pete's sake guys, does MY proposed layout sound "SMART"?

wildcard
5th May 2010, 08:59 PM
If it were me I'd build to the strength of each platform.

7.62 x 39 then I'd pick a good heads up optic that works to 300m. Say the Trijicon Reflex. I have the 42mm version on my AK.

For .308 in the FAL you lose a little bit of accuracy compared to the DPMS I'm sure so I'd go with something that would cover 0-500 meters. Say the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x 24

For the DPMS I'd spend some cash and get a nice high end optic..., probably as much as the rifle's cost. Long range work only here. Something like this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/schmidt-bender-zenith-2-5-10x56-variable-zoom-high-light-transmission-riflescopes.html

or this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/schmidt-bender-klassic-3-12-42-broad-magnification-illum-reticle-var-power-riflescopes.html

For the AR, you have an accurate light weight round. Useful if you have to patrol, usually not the first choice if you have time to grab something else. The Aimpoint with the 3x is fine here depending on the overall bulk and weight. If you want to spend some cash then the ACOG is a great choice.

steveoc
5th May 2010, 09:01 PM
choices, choices .... ;D

Seriously though - 7.62x39 is an assault weapon which ever way you look at it. Its about the speed and volume of fire. So anything above iron sights on this baby is sacrilege. Even then, the sights dont get used that much.

Iron sights on the FAL is a good choice too, since its a also a battle rifle, but heavy and steady enough to lay down good accurate fire at 400-600m over iron sights. Its probably more important on an FAL to have a well adjusted gas regulator, and make sure all the sight screws are held tight than it is to have good optics. Just my 2c - they can be fiddly things to keep tuned sometimes.

3x DOT on the AR-15 maybe, but try and keep it simple. A sight is often just one more thing to go wrong. A simple rugged bayonet can be more useful than a fragile piece of glass sometimes.

I only ever bothered with optics on my 6.5mm ... my long lost Carl Gustav made in 1917, very long barrelled bolt action mauser with a superb flat trajectory and a big bark. boom boom.

Im thinking you should have only one rifle with very good optics, and given a choice, .338 (8.59mm ??) looks like being the perfect bullet for precision long range work. Unfortunately, where I live, its now illegal to even think about such weapons :(

ruprick
6th May 2010, 01:37 AM
Iron or a 1X dot on the AK....she ain't a target rifle.

NOOB
6th May 2010, 05:20 AM
I would run the aimpoint on the ak. Fast targeting within the intended range. I have several optics(eotech,kobra,micro aimpoint) and you just can't beat a red dot for 200 yds and closer.

Shoden
6th May 2010, 12:06 PM
I think your proposed sight arrangement looks pretty good.

For those of you commenting on which sights should go on the AK, there isn't an AK in the list. The 7.62x39 is an XCR, which is probably a bit more accurate than a standard AK, and the 3x sight should work well on it.

And I'm guessing that the 1,000 yarder that is going on the DPMS is already a nice high end optic.

Personally, I wouldn't put a red dot sight on the shotgun, but since you've already got it, you might as well use it.

Of course, this advice is coming from someone with iron sights on all of his firearms, except for lasers on a couple of pistols. :D