PDA

View Full Version : Who's Splitting Wood Now?

skid
5th May 2010, 09:55 PM
I just finished clearing some land and have 2-3 logging trucks worth of wood to buck and split. Good thing I am building a large wood shed to store it in.

Anybody else thinking of winter coming up? Now's the time to split wood before it gets to hot outside, plus the hot summer heat will help dry the wood.

AOW
5th May 2010, 10:00 PM
It's been cold here this Spring and I've pretty much burned up everything I've got here. Too much snow still in the mountains where I've got land to harvest wood for next year but I'll be at it in another month.

Mouse
7th May 2010, 01:54 PM
I split some almost every day. I have a lot of fallen timber to get to still and I have a lot of bucked that's been sitting since last fall waiting for me to get to splitting it. I just leave it where it lay until it dries enough that I can split it without killing myself. I wish I had a splitter, I am doing this the old skool way.

I could use some tips bucking the fallen trees as I have some that are sitting up too high for me to feel safe cutting them, and some that are a good bit bigger than my saw and I am not comfortable plunge cutting as I am fairly beginner skill with the saw. Also, how to get the ones that are on the ground off the ground enought to buck them. I am guessing I should try to get some rigging set up and try to get these out of the woods somewhere where it's easier to work on them but I don't have any idea how. I would have to use my truck since no 4 wheeler or tractor.

Ideas?

Thanks

zap
7th May 2010, 05:23 PM
yes started a couple weeks ago.

skid
7th May 2010, 09:54 PM
I split some almost every day. I have a lot of fallen timber to get to still and I have a lot of bucked that's been sitting since last fall waiting for me to get to splitting it. I just leave it where it lay until it dries enough that I can split it without killing myself. I wish I had a splitter, I am doing this the old skool way.

I could use some tips bucking the fallen trees as I have some that are sitting up too high for me to feel safe cutting them, and some that are a good bit bigger than my saw and I am not comfortable plunge cutting as I am fairly beginner skill with the saw. Also, how to get the ones that are on the ground off the ground enought to buck them. I am guessing I should try to get some rigging set up and try to get these out of the woods somewhere where it's easier to work on them but I don't have any idea how. I would have to use my truck since no 4 wheeler or tractor.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mouse,

Build an A frame (like a swing set) out of wood or metal. You can attach a cheap rope or chain hoist to the A frame and use a set of log tongs to lift the log high enough to buck.

Or use your truck to pull one log across another so that the one that sits on top is above the ground.

Or you can buck 3/4 through the log, then roll it over to finish the cut.

Mouse
8th May 2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks good ideas,

I usually take pieces that have been bucked and use them to support the tree, but I have a number of situations that I have been using automotive jacks to lift the trunk and get wife to stick a cut under it. I think I am doing this retarded and need some guidance. I can't do even basic trunk work without the wife and a jack or two and we are doing this where it works and is relatively safe, but stupid in terms of time.

Thanks again for your post

skid
8th May 2010, 02:13 PM
I have three piles of logs like this to buck and split.

The area where the Blazer is parked is also being prepped for a future barn. Engineered fill compacted, footings next...

skid
8th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Just finished site prep/compaction/forming for new wood shed. Rebar is in, concrete goes in Monday. The wood shed will be 20 x 24, which should be good for at least a 2 year supply of fire wood.

Mouse
8th May 2010, 03:24 PM
Can I borrow your tractor? :D

You got some killer looking land. I am an amateur.