PDA

View Full Version : Be careful out there/ Chick Gets Bit By Snake video

StackerKen
6th May 2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGNHUxHvQdc

Korbin Dallas
6th May 2010, 12:34 PM
My neighbor was clearing brush in his suburban back yard, he saw a small snake, thought it was a garter. When he picked it up to toss it over the fence into a field, the little bastard bit him. Turned out to be a rattlesnake. He drove himself to the hospital, and barely made it. The docs told him that it is much worse being bitten by a baby rattler because they can't control the amount of venom, so he got a pretty good dose. Lucky for him, he survived.

zap
6th May 2010, 01:54 PM
They start coming out of hibernation in April. Got to keep your eyes and ears open when you are out and about. I don't kill anything here, but I will go out of my way to kill a rattlesnake.

StackerKen
6th May 2010, 02:14 PM
They start coming out of hibernation in April. Got to keep your eyes and ears open when you are out and about. I don't kill anything here, but I will go out of my way to kill a rattlesnake.

Me too Zap.
Rattlesnakes are the only thing I don't mind killing.

We seem to have a lot of king-snakes on our property.....Love them..they keep the rattlers away

TPTB
6th May 2010, 02:21 PM
That was an excellent video, Stacker...

"Got bit by a Rattlesnake and it f**king hurts." lol... oh, the understatement.

Cute girl too.

gunDriller
7th May 2010, 08:50 AM
$140K for 3 days in the hospital

no, doctors aren't greedy. they're f*cking greedy.

Saul Mine
7th May 2010, 09:10 AM
90% of people bitten by a snake were harassing the snake at the time.

90% of rattlesnake bites have no venom injected*. (But don't bet your life on being in that 90%.)

If you keep cats you will not likely have snakes. That is because cats play with mice, so the mice go away. And snakes eat mice, so they go wherever the mice went.

If your neighbor keeps cats and you don't, guess what?

* There is a legend going around that you can neutralize snake venom with a tazer. It seems likely that appears to work because of the 90% figure.

StackerKen
7th May 2010, 09:25 AM
$140K for 3 days in the hospital

no, doctors aren't greedy. they're f*cking greedy.

Yeah...thats stuck out for me too.

thats crazy!

BoatingAccident
7th May 2010, 10:55 AM
90% of people bitten by a snake were harassing the snake at the time.

90% of rattlesnake bites have no venom injected*. (But don't bet your life on being in that 90%.)

It takes an adult rattlesnake 6 months to fill up their venum sacks. This is why most bites are warning bites, the rattlesnake can control and use the venun for hunting. This is also why baby rattlesnakes are very dangerous because they haven't learned that yet.

Also, a dead rattlesnake can still bite you. They have a nerve reflex that lasts for (can't remember how long) after they are dead.

Yeas ago, a crazy friend of mine had a pet rattlesnake that he had caught. I took care of it for awhile while he was out of town. Listening and seeing them rattle was very interesting, and watching them eat was just fascinating, but not for the mice.

StackerKen
7th May 2010, 12:23 PM
I dunno, something about the words Pet and Rattlesnake, don't really seem to go together... ???

big country
7th May 2010, 01:23 PM
if you're going to kill the snakes, I hope you're atleast eating them!

Rattlesnake is GREAT eatin! If you don't want them send them my way, No rattlers (well there is one type. but very rare) here.

StackerKen
7th May 2010, 06:24 PM

Rattlesnake is GREAT eatin! If you don't want them send them my way, No rattlers (well there is one type. but very rare) here.

You got it big counrty...next time I kill one I will cook it up and eat it. :)

When i was bout 8 or 9 my grandpa killed and cooked one while we were camping...we ate it....wasn't to bad.

willie pete
7th May 2010, 06:35 PM
Saw a vid of an adult rattle snake 6'-7' long, fight an alligator in the Everglades one time, fight lasted about 45 seconds

zap
7th May 2010, 06:38 PM

When i was bout 8 or 9 my grandpa killed and cooked one while we were camping...we ate it....wasn't to bad.

Tastes just like chicken ?????

StackerKen
7th May 2010, 06:39 PM

Tastes just like chicken ?????

Greasy and chewy chicken....lol :)

BoatingAccident
7th May 2010, 10:07 PM
Saw a vid of an adult rattle snake 6'-7' long, fight an alligator in the Everglades one time, fight lasted about 45 seconds

What a battle. I'd really like to see that vid willie pete.

steveoc
8th May 2010, 02:41 AM
Be careful with snakes !

Someone needs to tell these guys ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfJ6kAQLMk

MNeagle
8th May 2010, 04:57 AM

Which one won?

willie pete
8th May 2010, 06:25 AM

Which one won?

It was interesting, the rattler coiled and started rattling, it was a big one too, it's body was bigger around than most people's arm, and this gator started inching up to it, stopped about a 3-4 feet away, then lunged, the snake hit the gator too,looked like it got the gator under the neck, but it wasn't enough, gator grabbed it slung it around side to side, the last thing that went down the hatch, was the rattler's head, the narrator mentioned that if someone was worried about the gator being bit by the rattler, he said a gator's hide is tough, and also that gators are immune to rattle snake poison, doesn't affect them at all

BoatingAccident
8th May 2010, 10:06 AM

Which one won?

It was interesting, the rattler coiled and started rattling, it was a big one too, it's body was bigger around than most people's arm, and this gator started inching up to it, stopped about a 3-4 feet away, then lunged, the snake hit the gator too,looked like it got the gator under the neck, but it wasn't enough, gator grabbed it slung it around side to side, the last thing that went down the hatch, was the rattler's head, the narrator mentioned that if someone was worried about the gator being bit by the rattler, he said a gator's hide is tough, and also that gators are immune to rattle snake poison, doesn't affect them at all

Interesting..thanks for sharing!

BoatingAccident
8th May 2010, 10:12 AM
I dunno, something about the words Pet and Rattlesnake, don't really seem to go together... ???

You have no idea Ken...at the time, I was getting more and more into herpetology, had a couple of Boa's as pets. Got to know my local pet shop quite well. After hours, the shopkeeper showed me what he had in the back room. He had cages of illegal poisonous snakes...vipers, cobras, etc.

That's when I learned the dark side of the subculture. There's a muli-million dollar underground network, black market, for illegal poisonous snakes in the US. It's a rather large, but not talked about, network. I got rid of my snakes, though legal, after that. I didn't want anything to do with that business..

The problem, is that the hospitals here do not have anti-venum for these snakes, as they do rattlesnakes. If you get bitten, you can kiss your ass goodbye.

You never know what your neighbors may have in their basements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew9V8c7lKBoCheck this out..

banjo
9th May 2010, 09:42 PM
I've often wondered how my dog would fare if I was to bring him down to rattlesnake territory. He's a yellow lab and loves to run around with his nose to the ground,etc. Would he end up snakebit or do they have any kind of sense about these things? Anybody have any experience with dogs and snakes?

willie pete
9th May 2010, 09:46 PM
Dogs get snake bite all the time, and some die, had a friend that had a rott, it got bit, got him to the vet, but it screwed him up for a few days and cost a few hundred in vet bills....cats and horses, cows too

Here's an example:

http://www.thejimmydogcompany.com/Pet_Care_Tips.html

StackerKen
9th May 2010, 09:57 PM
Banjo...Im sure it depends on the dog.

In the four years we have lived in these hills, two of our four dogs have been bitten.

We didn't see it happen either time...so I'm not sure how it happen or what the dogs were doing when they were bit.
We knew right when we saw them because of the swelling.
Thankfully, Both Lived and hopefully will be more careful.

Last summer another of our dogs was barking up a storm...so I went to see and she let me know there was a Rattler under the dog house. I fished it out and killed with a shovel. All our dogs seem to know not to get too close now.

StackerKen
9th May 2010, 10:00 PM
I have heard that cats have a metabolism that can deal with a snake bite better than most animals...I dunno...just something i heard somewhere

willie pete
9th May 2010, 10:11 PM
I have heard that cats have a metabolism that can deal with a snake bite better than most animals...I dunno...just something i heard somewhere

I'm no vet, but I'd think if a rattle snake bites any animal, there's going to be trouble...(except a gator :D)

S-Ken...you don't look worried, you look inebriated :lol

StackerKen
9th May 2010, 10:50 PM

I'm no vet, but I'd think if a rattle snake bites any animal, there's going to be trouble...(except a gator :D)

S-Ken...you don't look worried, you look inebriated :lol

LOL :D I was tired from a long day of swimin in the pool with the kids..

Galen
10th May 2010, 06:20 AM

* There is a legend going around that you can neutralize snake venom with a tazer. It seems likely that appears to work because of the 90% figure.

Hmmmm. Let's see.........

Get bit by snake, which probably hurts a bit, then take a Taser shot, which appears to be no fun either. Damn that sounds nasty. Makes me think of that Dirty Harry quote "Do you feel lucky?"

banjo
10th May 2010, 10:14 AM
Dogs get snake bite all the time, and some die, had a friend that had a rott, it got bit, got him to the vet, but it screwed him up for a few days and cost a few hundred in vet bills....cats and horses, cows too

Here's an example:

http://www.thejimmydogcompany.com/Pet_Care_Tips.html

Thanks for the link. I never would have thought of that. Probably not a bad idea though.

greenbear
18th May 2010, 07:35 PM
When I was a kid maybe 10 years old in Eastern Oregon while on a school camping trip I came upon a rattle snake while I was walking alone up a hill covered with loose rock. It was shortly before sunset, as I recall. I heard the rattle first, then I saw the snake which was poised to strike me. After about 3 seconds of being paralyzed with fear, which seemed like an eternity, I shot off down the hill faster than I had known I could run. That hill was a surface of loose, jagged rocks maybe the size you could just hold in your hand, maybe a little smaller. I remember the entire time I was running I was expecting to sprain my ankle and fall to the ground, but amazingly enough that didn't happen. I ran all the way back to camp. :) That's the only time I've ever seen a rattle snake up close.

StackerKen
18th May 2010, 10:17 PM
There is something about the sound of that rattle that will send chills up a spine for sure.

Nice avatar GB :)

greenbear
18th May 2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks, Ken. I'm rather pleased with it. :)

muffin
2nd June 2010, 08:17 AM
I've grown up with rattlesnakes my whole life. My stepdad catches them as a sport. He takes them to rattlesnake events in OK and puts them in contests. The ones that don't win, he sells for meat. I've been to a ton of these meets.

I remember as a little girl, maybe 12 or so, helping catch and bag these things. I tell ya, holding the sack for them is no fun at all! And trying to hold the snake still while he's measuring isn't fun either. He would kill them and tan their hides too. I went into the kitchen one day to wash my hands in the sink. I didn't know there was a skinless, headless, rattleless snake in the sink soaking. I looked in and the damn thing raised up and struck at me! Talk about being traumatized! :'(

I'm still fascinated with them. It's always cool opening the lid to his pit and hearing all those rattlers going off! He usually has somewhere around 12 or so at all times in the summertime.

Needless to say, I have a few stories..... :P

Large Sarge
4th June 2010, 09:27 AM
one of the old things I have heard (not personally confirmed), is that if you can pass a mild electrical current over/on/around the bite, it nullifies the poison

muffin
7th June 2010, 08:07 AM
Look out for the copperheads too....

I really really really hated to kill this healthy beautiful snake but it had already bitten 2 of my cats and was waaay to close to the house. I came VERY close to him SEVERAL times before seeing him. I happen to glance down right before getting in the car and seeing about an inch of the body only inches from my foot. He was in the flowerbed between the deck and the driveway.

You can see in the second picture where the shovel still is where I killed it.

Korbin Dallas
19th August 2010, 08:24 PM
I damn near got bitten this evening. It was just starting to get dark, and I was looking around my cantaloupe patch for ripe ones, and I heard a hiss, sounded like a water leak. When I went to get a closer look, I saw the rattle, and noticed it was a young one, which, I've heard are even more dangerous. By the time I grabbed a flashlight and shovel, he had gotten under the shed and I couldn't get to him.

I figure I'll let him live until the weekend, at least he may kill a few mice in the meantime. Until then, the yard is off limits.

RUSH.IS.A.BAND
20th August 2010, 08:32 AM
:yuk