PDA

View Full Version : Survival Dentistry

Black Blade
9th May 2010, 11:49 PM
Survival Dentistry

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jhwarner1/Survive/Wisdom_of_a_Masochist_by_EmbraceThe.jpg

How do you confront dentistry when there is no dentist? This is an interesting question as I had a tooth go bad (infected nerve) when I was working in the jungles of north Myanmar. It was a molar and it was somewhat painful although I did have some benzocaine to deaden the pain. I had another five or six weeks before I could get out of the jungle and get to a "real" dentist in Hong Kong or Singapore. Since then I had thought about how to deal with tooth problems when there is no dentist.

I found an online book "Where There Is No Dentist" which may be of some help and is designed for those in the Third World. The book is also available in hard copy from Amazon. It is part of a series including the book "Where There Is No Doctor" from the Hesperian Organization.

http://www.hesperian.info/assets/wtndentist_2009/WTNDentist_2009.pdf

Somehow I keep thinking of the Old West when the dentist would come to town with a manually operated hand drill and a pair of pliers to extract teeth. There is nothing better than preventative maintenance but even so, there will be dental problems regardless.

- Black Blade

crazychicken
10th May 2010, 02:01 AM
Thank you for the post.

Very interesting.

Good find.

CC

Nomen luni
10th May 2010, 11:24 AM
Another home run from Blade!

I think this is a much under-discussed aspect in survival circles. It's much more fun to talk about guns than to contemplate the picture in the OP.

SeekYeFirst
11th May 2010, 10:22 PM
That looks like a great little book! Thanks Blade.
If kids and adults were taught this info on how to care for their teeth, dentists would about go out of business.
One update: the new anesthetics usually allow work to be done even if one has an infection --if your dentist wants to work right away, don't be worried. It's usually better to treat the cause right away without a round of antibiotics.

willie pete
11th May 2010, 10:26 PM
Best to address the infection first, IF at all possible, if not you'll increase the risk of septecemia which could very easily lead to septic shock

gunDriller
15th May 2010, 05:25 PM
i had about 8 cavities and one crown problem at one appointment in 2008. took me 18 appointments to get everything fixed.

since then, i completely stopped drinking soda. i used to have soda at lunch & dinner but my teeth did not like it. i figured out that each soda cost me about $4 in dental care.

i also made it a habit to brush & floss after eating something sweet, e.g. fruit or a smoothie. so i brush & floss twice a day.

last 2 appointments, no cavities.

so now my "survival dentistry" is mostly preventive.

k-os
15th May 2010, 06:27 PM
Another home run from Blade!

I think this is a much under-discussed aspect in survival circles. It's much more fun to talk about guns than to contemplate the picture in the OP.

True. I have avoided this thread for days, just because of the title. I know I should be preparing for everything, but this is a subject that makes me want to stick my head in the sand and pretend everything is just fine.

Thanks for recommending the online books, Black Blade.

mick silver
16th May 2010, 11:40 AM
keep the stuff coming bb

willie pete
16th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Good practical info BB, when's the lesson on "Survival Gynecology" coming up? don't wanna miss that one :D

sunshine05
17th May 2010, 05:00 PM
another thing for survival dentistry is oil pulling. http://www.oilpulling.com/ I have done this in the past, learned about it on curezone and it really keeps my teeth and gums healthy. Some people do this to relieve dental problems - abcessed teeth, etc. I usually use coconut oil but sesame is good too. I would try it if I were unable to get to a dentist when tshtf.

k-os
17th May 2010, 05:19 PM
another thing for survival dentistry is oil pulling. http://www.oilpulling.com/ I have done this in the past, learned about it on curezone and it really keeps my teeth and gums healthy. Some people do this to relieve dental problems - abcessed teeth, etc. I usually use coconut oil but sesame is good too. I would try it if I were unable to get to a dentist when tshtf.

I have never heard of oil pulling, but I am going to have to try it. Thanks, sunshine05.