PDA

View Full Version : A trip down Memory Lane paved with Gold

BabushkaLady
10th May 2010, 03:49 PM
All the talk about gold coin sales increasing at a record pace, took me down memory lane. It was 1999 and what good was all the Y2K preps without some gold?

I remembered my first maple leaf purchase at the price of 272/oz. I'd always collected coins but I wanted some Gold! The first dealer I talked with was practically crying over his 800/oz gold he was still sitting on. The second dealer was very informative and introduced me to kitco. I made my first purchase from him the following week. I became a regular and we'd often argue over what I'd pay over spot. He kept insisting he was losing money, but we always kept up the charade!

What memories does the rush to gold bring you?

Libertarian_Guard
10th May 2010, 04:23 PM
The Adrien sisters, at the N.Y. gold conference 2002 - - 2003.

Silver was trading at around 4.50 - 4.75 an ounce. The sisters announced that they would close all long silver positions if it closed under $4.00.

I laughed and thought about all the people I knew that would consider it a gift from God to buy silver for less than $4.00.

To the best of my memory, it never quite closed under $4.00 ....... but it came close.

TLM
11th May 2010, 12:44 PM

I remember buying some Gold in '92 or '93 when it was $350/oz.
I can remember thinking what a freakin loser I was when it dropped
to $253 several years later... what a idiot... I should have know better than to pay such
a high price!!!! ;D ;D

I still have that gold.... so I guess I'm not such and idiot afterall.

Good topic,
Thanks.

Low_five
11th May 2010, 02:45 PM
I was 19 and it was the year 1999. I saved up a litltle over a thousand dollars from my grocery store shelf stocker job, living with grandma. I went to a jewelry store and they buzzed me in and I made an order for 3 and a half ounces in GAEs. I think they took down my name so I gave them a false name, my middle name became my first name and my first name, got an S added to it and became my last name. in other words, my real name is Daniel Scott Miller, and my false name was Scott Daniels. but I gave them my SSN too, because I was young and retarded. I still am. I also gave them my phone number so I could come back in and pick them up. So they called me and left me a message on my grandmas answering machine using my real name, and boy was I pissed. I went and got the coins and stashed them and grandma heard the message and was PISSED that I wasted my money on gold. she thought I was going to lose my ass, and should have bought stocks and bonds. I hid the coins and still have them. it was my best investment ever. I hope to trade them for property one day. I turned a few weeks of stocking pickles and mayonaise into something real and tangible. it will be my personal story where the shoe shiner kid used his gold coin he got as a tip and used it to buy the whole hotel he worked at. I still call granny up everytime gold breaks a new record and it really burns her ass.

BabushkaLady
11th May 2010, 04:45 PM
I still call granny up everytime gold breaks a new record and it really burns her ass.

:ROFL:

That's great!! My S.O. at the time told me I was wasting my money!!

Trinity
11th May 2010, 06:30 PM

I remember buying some Gold in '92 or '93 when it was $350/oz.
I can remember thinking what a freakin loser I was when it dropped
to $253 several years later... what a idiot... I should have know better than to pay such
a high price!!!! ;D ;D

I still have that gold.... so I guess I'm not such and idiot afterall.

Good topic,
Thanks.

We share the same history.