PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify this coin.....please!

DMac
13th May 2010, 07:50 AM
Hello GSUS!

I have a coin I need help identifying. I picked this one up from a dealer in NY as a part of a big lot of silver coinage. The dealer wanted to sell his entire inventory (mostly 90% silver coins). Within the tray he had a number of older coins, most of which I am able to identify.

This one, however, I cannot find online anywhere. The only information I was able to gather was by reading various historical papers and articles about the guy on the front of the coin, Caonabo.

On the coin, there is what looks like a mint mark of FJ.

There is also a date stamped on it, though I am not sure of its authenticity. The date reads Siglo XV (15th century).

Please help!

DMac
13th May 2010, 07:52 AM

undgrd
13th May 2010, 08:11 AM
A quick search of Google seems to make this Dominican in origin...still looking around

http://www.domrep.org/kids.html
The 15th Century mark may commemorate the Spanish invasion.

The first permanent European settlement, Isabella, was founded in 1493, on the north coast of the island, not far from where Puerto Plata is now. From there the Spaniards could exploit the gold in the Cibao Valley, a short distance away, in the interior of the country. The Spaniards brought horses and dogs, and combined with their armor and iron weapons, as well as their invisible allies, disease germs against which the TaÃÂ*no had no immunities, the TaÃÂ*no were unable to resist for long. An expeditionary force was sent to capture Caonabo and another to put down a unified force of thousands of warriors at the site today known as Santo Cerro, after which the TaÃÂ*no were forced into hard labor, panning for gold under conditions that were repressive and deplorable.

JohnQPublic
14th May 2010, 12:55 PM
I think the reverse says: "In your land, where have you always had power and vassals?" Or something along those lines.

JohnQPublic
14th May 2010, 01:01 PM
A Cacique is a tribal leader in the Carribean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ta%C3%ADnos), and Maguana is in the Dominican Republic (good call undgrd).

k-os
14th May 2010, 01:05 PM
Also, Dominican Republic is on the island of Hispaniola (Española en Español).

Shami-Amourae
19th May 2010, 09:57 AM
WTF?! Don't we get "Internets" as a prize?!