PDA

View Full Version : Video of BP's gulf gusher

I am me, I am free
13th May 2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPPFcy-3Vo&feature=player_embedded

Gaillo
13th May 2010, 02:31 PM
That video was taken 8 days ago. Assuming that is a 12" diameter pipe, it looks like (just watching the flow) it's probably dumping about 2 gallons per second. That works out to 172,800 gallons per day (about 3X what they are claiming).

That also works out to about 1.4 MILLION gallons of oil that has been released since that video was filmed. :o

Brujo
13th May 2010, 04:53 PM
That definitely looks a helluva lot worse than they are saying.

Gonna be an interesting future, my friends.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
13th May 2010, 06:00 PM
Isn't it conceivable that this kind of natural disaster could happen without humans, during say an undersea earthquake which disrupts an oil bed?

It'll return to homeostasis...just not in our lifetime : (

SLV^GLD
13th May 2010, 07:11 PM
Is it also not inconceivable that mankind could be expressed as a product of nature and is thereby an extension of nature and falls under the umbrella term "force of nature" and that mankind's causing this is no more or less a natural disaster than an earthquake?

StackerKen
13th May 2010, 07:15 PM
Is it also not inconceivable that mankind could be expressed as a product of nature and is thereby an extension of nature and falls under the umbrella term "force of nature" and that mankind's causing this is no more or less a natural disaster than an earthquake?

Interesting thoughts

Gaillo
13th May 2010, 10:18 PM

"You cannot go against nature,
Because when you do
go against nature
It's a part of nature too"

Horn
13th May 2010, 10:29 PM

Are you an insurance salesman? ;D

Horn
13th May 2010, 10:41 PM
That video was taken 8 days ago. Assuming that is a 12" diameter pipe, it looks like (just watching the flow) it's probably dumping about 2 gallons per second. That works out to 172,800 gallons per day (about 3X what they are claiming).

That also works out to about 1.4 MILLION gallons of oil that has been released since that video was filmed. :o

I heard somewhere that it was a 20"dia. pipe?

Looks almost like gas at first? It looks like their just letting it flow?

Do they think it will jump start the gulf stream :conf:

Shami-Amourae
14th May 2010, 02:59 AM
Stephen Colbert suggests using breaded Juggalos delivered by dolphins to plug the oil gusher:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/0/05/Colbert_2010-05-10.png

SLV^GLD
14th May 2010, 05:24 AM
Dolphins would have to be SCUBA trained.

mick silver
14th May 2010, 06:03 AM
i have heard that the line has 70.000 psi on it if that true this well is huge

Spectrism
14th May 2010, 06:15 AM

That is a 21" pipe. The consensus among scientists is that flow is 70,000 BARRELS per day +\- 20%.

At 42 gallons per barrel, this is 2,940,000 gallons per day.

Spectrism
14th May 2010, 06:18 AM
i have heard that the line has 70.000 psi on it if that true this well is huge

I think the pressure in the oil/gas reservoir is in the 20,000 psi range. The pressure at the pipe riser is about 2500 psi... just venting to ambient undersea pressure. If they have anything near success in blocking the riser where that video was taken, the pressure in the riser will go up in excess of 10,000 psi. It ain't gonna happen.

Horn
14th May 2010, 08:43 PM
I think the pressure in the oil/gas reservoir is in the 20,000 psi range. The pressure at the pipe riser is about 2500 psi... just venting to ambient undersea pressure. If they have anything near success in blocking the riser where that video was taken, the pressure in the riser will go up in excess of 10,000 psi. It ain't gonna happen.

No wonder that Icelandic Volcano is no longer giving Britain a problem, BP is releasing all the pressure into the Gulf of Mexico...

StackerKen
15th May 2010, 01:07 PM

No wonder that Icelandic Volcano is no longer giving Britain a problem, BP is releasing all the pressure into the Gulf of Mexico...

Im sure you were probably kidding Horn.

that Volcano is still going strong

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/05/15/uk.airports/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/WORLD/europe/05/15/uk.airports/story.uk.airports.jpg
may15th
Ash from an Icelandic volcano once again threatens to halt flights in the United Kingdom.

Horn
15th May 2010, 01:31 PM

I'm just suggesting that maybe the reason isn't completely one of inaccessibility in capping this thing. I mean we can receive perfect video of a gusher, that is in a state that someone must have thought of beforehand, and yet we are told it may be months before anything can even slow, or halt the situation.

Also they way the containment has been totally and completely mis managed from the get go, as far as I can tell.

mick silver
15th May 2010, 01:40 PM
why not try a pipe that 10 or 12 foot around . then see if it would not go over the smaller pipe then suck the oil from the big pipe

StackerKen
15th May 2010, 03:14 PM

I'm just suggesting that maybe the reason isn't completely one of inaccessibility in capping this thing. I mean we can receive perfect video of a gusher, that is in a state that someone must have thought of beforehand, and yet we are told it may be months before anything can even slow, or halt the situation.

Also they way the containment has been totally and completely mis managed from the get go, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, It is a bit Fishy (pun intended)

Horn
15th May 2010, 03:52 PM
why not try a pipe that 10 or 12 foot around . then see if it would not go over the smaller pipe then suck the oil from the big pipe

I would imagine they would have some sort of emergency cap that could sleeve right over the top of the exposed section of pipe, that would use the pressure available from the flow as energy to seal itself off.

Veni, vidi...evigilavi!
17th May 2010, 01:01 PM
Ok someone please edjumakate me again. Watching from this video released by BP, it doesn't seem like enough pressure is bursting out of that pipe, I cannot conceive the thought of NOT being able to go downthere in a small submersible vehicle and clog that sucker with some device that mechanically expands inside the pipe until it reaches desired inner diameter or like I stated in another thread, drop a damn anchor on it, jam a rock, it would at least slow down the leak until a permanent solution is achieved hell...anything other than wasting valuable time. I really don't believe it's rocket science we're dealing with here. This is pissing me off as much as the petty wars overseas, but its all ok as long as we don't constantly hear about it in the evening news, go back to sleep.

The only logical explanation for this delay would be that TPTB asked BP for this fvckup! The cards are in play ???

Spectrism
17th May 2010, 01:07 PM
Ok someone please edjumakate me again. Watching from this video released by BP, it doesn't seem like enough pressure is bursting out of that pipe, I cannot conceive the thought of NOT being able to go downthere in a small submersible vehicle and clog that sucker with some device that mechanically expands inside the pipe until it reaches desired inner diameter or like I stated in another thread, drop a damn anchor on it, jam a rock, it would at least slow down the leak until a permanent solution is achieved hell...anything other than wasting valuable time. I really don't believe it's rocket science we're dealing with here. This is pissing me off as much as the petty wars overseas, but its all ok as long as we don't constantly hear about it in the evening news, go back to sleep.

The only logical explanation for this delay would be that TPTB asked BP for this fvckup! The cards are in play ???

It looks like no pressure because they fed a 6 inch pipe into this 21 inch pipe. Plenty of room for expansion so it slows the velocity down.

Veni, vidi...evigilavi!
17th May 2010, 01:30 PM
'It looks like no pressure because they fed a 6 inch pipe into this 21 inch pipe. Plenty of room for expansion so it slows the velocity down.' - Spectrism

Yup, and this may minimize the flow of oil a bit, but a lot of it is still going to flow out the sides of the pipe, if something like I just suggested (expandable), was implemented, we would more than likely contain 95% of that spill specially if done at the main point of extrusion.