View Full Version : Obama Seeks $80 Billion for New Nukes.

Ponce
14th May 2010, 08:23 AM
One way to give Amerians new jobs........
================================================

Obama Seeks $80 Billion for New Nukes.

Gates Says US Needs to 'Rebuild' Stockpile
by Jason Ditz, May 13, 2010

Not long after the administration finalized an arms reduction treaty with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, President Obama is now seeking $80 billion in funding for nuclear weapons.

According to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, the money would be spent to “rebuild and sustain America’s aging nuclear stockpile.”

The US has one of the two largest arsenals on the planet, some 5,113 warheads, a holdover from the Cold War arms race with the former Soviet Union.

Despite very public efforts to declare himself an advocate of total nuclear disarmament, President Obama has made no secret of his ambitions for an updated nuclear stockpile, ostensibly for “safety” reasons.

But in reality, an arsenal capable of wiping out much of the life on the planet is never really safe, and questions about the military’s handling of the arsenal are nothing new. Likewise it is difficult to argue, in a post Cold War world, that the US truly needs such an enormous arsenal merely for “deterrence.”

Yet for the administration selling the case for new nuclear weapons will likely have a relatively easy time of it, particularly with the illusion of Obama’s bona fides on disarmament looming large in the background.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/05/13/obama-seeks-80-billion-for-nukes/

Hatha Sunahara
14th May 2010, 12:44 PM
I wonder how many micro nukes and neutron bombs they can buy with $80 billion?

I have often wondered how small they can make a nuke. There appears to be a micro nuke with a dial-a-yield feature that lets the bomber choose in a range from .1 to 1.0 kilotons.

The black-ops people must be running out of their smaller nukes. The kind that could do damage like at OKC, or Khobar Towers, or the one that blew away Rafiq Hariri in Beirut, or the one that did in the Sari Club in Bali, or the Mariott Hotel in Jakarta. I've heard speculation that a neutron bomb was used on Baghdad airport in 2003.

For the people who think 'nuclear weapons are the last resort' a wake-up call is in order. Nuclear weapons technology has not stood still since the Manhattan Project. I think the Manhattan Project II happened in Lower Manhattan on 9/11/01--at ground zero. Keep in mind that the lunatics who are bringing us the financial crisis are also the ones whose fingers are on the triggers of the nuclear arsenal. Another $80 billion in funding to modernize their arsenal may be a catastrophe for humanity.

Hatha

I am me, I am free
14th May 2010, 12:48 PM
Still more evidence that the Kenyan monkeyboy is merely the (s)elected spokesman for those who consider themselves the Masters of the Universe.

Book
14th May 2010, 01:08 PM
DIMONA (http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/israel/dimona.htm) needs an upgrade again.

:oo-->

k-os
14th May 2010, 01:10 PM
Why do we need new nukes when we never even used the old nukes? :oo-->

Gaillo
14th May 2010, 01:13 PM
Why do we need new nukes when we never even used the old nukes? :oo-->

Because the old ones don't have that "new nuke smell" of one freshly driven off the lot! ;D