PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking philosophy

RJB
15th May 2010, 03:42 PM
My wife and kids went to the MIL; I had no appointments at the office neither yesterday afternoon nor today. I loaded up my backpack and beagle and hit the trail yesterday.

It was raining when I first started, but there is a somber beauty to the woods when it rains-- No one else on the trail. Listening to the rain allows me not to even care about concerns I think about on sunny hikes.

The sun came out before setting. I packed in 2 lbs of fresh beef and picked some wild edibles on the way (mugwort and solomon's seal). Jasmine (the beagle) and I ate great for dinner. For breakfast we had 3 fresh eggs (from my chickens) with sautéed stinging nettle, I picked near the creek. I feel better eating fresh food on the trail than that dried camper's crap they try to pass as food.

It thunder stormed as I slept, but upon awakening and stepping out of my hammock tent, the view of the sun reaching down through the trees and mist made me say a spontaneous, "thank you, God." I was tempted to start a nondenominational wilderness church. Where we camp out and have a service at first light. Then it dawned on me, if it was down pouring I’d likely get cussed out ;D

I left my pack behind and followed a creek to a reservoir, went swimming in the mountain stream. It was torturous cold but I felt so alive after wards. I left the trail and walked barefooted in the creek, carefree. I’d stop and sling rocks whenever I felt the urge(David and Goliath sling, not a slingshot). I can easily send a hen’s egg size rock further than a football field’s length. It’s hard to explain, but I felt my spirit soar as if it were the rock each time I slung.

Jasmine and I bonded. I always kept a gruff and distant relationship with pets. She’s my buddy now.

Thunderstorms moved in as I left the creek and carried my pack up the ridge. It rained and thundered for the last 3 miles as I went up from 2,750 feet above sea level to almost 5,000ft. Thank God the lightening stayed a few miles away. I came home soaked, exhausted, but oddly refreshed.

Enjoy the gift of the outdoors…

k-os
15th May 2010, 04:07 PM
That sounds beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

greenbear
15th May 2010, 10:17 PM
What a beautiful description of your solitary hiking trip. It sounds like an inspiring experience. Thanks for sharing it so eloquently, you have the talent to write novels. :)