PDA

View Full Version : Arizonans Fighting Back Against Boycotts

LuckyStrike
15th May 2010, 09:16 PM
http://www.kpho.com/news/23549107/detail.html

PHOENIX -- Los Angeles has just become the nation's largest city to boycott Arizona for passing a tough immigration law.

Now, anti-protesters have come out to say they'll boycott L.A. right back.

Kelly Townsend of Gilbert doesn't like hearing about people across the country boycotting Arizona.

"I think it's an intimidation tactic that has caught on and people think if they make enough noise and have big enough tantrum, then they'll get their way," said Townsend.

Townsend has helped create a website, phoenixteaparty.ning.com, that supports Arizona's new immigration law and calls for a counter boycott targeting cities, politicians and businesses speaking out against Arizona.

"We have a lot of people that don't sit on sidelines and say OK," said Townsend. "If you're going to play that tactic, we can respond with a counter boycott."

CBS-5 News has also received a number of e-mails from viewers in favor of boycotting the boycotters.

"Boycotting can work both ways," one viewer said.

"I'm keeping a list of all who boycott us. I intend to boycott them," said another viewer.

Judy Valencia of Sedona just canceled plans to take her family to Disneyland this summer.

"I think if they are going to be childish and say we're not going to come to your state, we're not going to come to your state," Valencia said.

Townsend has also stepped up efforts to 'Buycott Arizona' and get more folks to purchase goods and services from Arizona.

Anything to improve the state's image across the country and protect the families that live here, said Townsend.

"We're more focused on support coming in to Arizona," Townsend said.

1970 Silver Art
16th May 2010, 05:11 AM
If they boycott each other then I would think that they both will lose economically. It also seems to me that economically speaking, LA would end up losing more than Arizona because California is in worse shape than Arizona. I am just making a WAG here. I really do not know.

kregener
16th May 2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.securetheborder.org/

Trying to stem the tide of leftist, arrogant, statist, politically-correct bliss-ninny Utopians who have no clue what we are dealing with here!

God bless.

Olmstein
17th May 2010, 08:54 PM
California can suck it. All the businesses are leaving there anyway.

Horn
17th May 2010, 09:03 PM
Now California will piss & whine that it needs Federal help patrolling it's border with Arizona. :oo-->

keehah
20th May 2010, 07:39 PM
http://quotes.prolix.nu/War/

I am going to explain to you why we went to war. Why mankind always does to war. It is not social or political. It is not countries that go to war, but men. It is like salt. Once one has been to war, one has salt for the rest of one's life. Men love war because it allows them to look serious. Because it is the one thing that stops women from laughing at them. Night fell again. There was war to the south, but our sector was quiet. The battle was over. Our casualties were some thirteen thousand killed--thirteen thousand minds, memories, loves, sensations, worlds, universes--because the human mind is more a universe than the universe itself--and all for a few hundred yards of useless mud.

- John Fowles, "The Magus"
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/618GQjtK5WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7742456/Arizona-threatens-to-cut-off-LA-electricity-supply.html

In a letter to the city Arizona Corporation Commission member Gary Pierce said: "If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation.

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands.

"If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy." Mr Pierce said if Los Angeles was "serious" about its boycott and not just "posturing" then it would have to consider supplying its own power.

The electricity comes from coal-fired power plants in northern Arizona, a nuclear power plant outside Phoenix, and two hydroelectric plants on the Colorado River.

A statement issued on behalf of Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said: "The mayor stands strongly behind the city council and he will not respond to threats from the state that has isolated itself from an America that values freedom, liberty and basic civil rights." Mr Villaraigosa was in Washington for a meeting between President Barack Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon, which was overshadowed by the Arizona law.

Grand Master Melon
21st May 2010, 03:59 AM
Now California will piss & whine that it needs Federal help patrolling it's border with Arizona. :oo-->
I've often felt that we here in Arizona could really benefit from putting a fence between us and cali. Hell yesterday idiots passed a 1 cent tax hike here that was favored heavilly by ex cali types. I blame them for that. Had we not allowed so many to cross our border that crap probably would have been shot down.