PDA

View Full Version : Man Selling Reservations for Doomsday Bunker

Low Pan
17th May 2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Del-Mar-Man-Selling-Reservations-for-Doomsday/xdaLvudJnke22ThLHcIc-w.cspx

DEL MAR, Calif. - A salesman with a doomsday plan is taking money for what he promises will one day be a comfortable, nuke-proof bunker in the Mojave Desert.

Robert Vicino, who runs the Del Mar-based company Vivos, has already taken reservations for the bunker in Barstow. He says the 13,000-square-foot area will include an atrium, gym and jail on the inside and sloppy joes and pearl potatoes on the menu.

Experts say the demand for bunkers is growing because the strong earthquakes, terrorism and predictions of the world's end in 2012 when the ancient Mayan calendar ends.

About $50,000 will get you a spot in Vicino's facility. He says he has collected deposits on half the 132 spaces planned in the bunker and is still taking reservations: $5,000 for adults and $2,500 for kids. Pets are free.

Vivos says on its web site the bunker can protect people from nuclear war, bio war, a polar shift, solar flares, a global tsunami, a killer comet or a super volcano.

The company claims, "to help resist this form of catastrophe, the Vivos shelters are designed to withstand: Flooding submersion for 500 hours, extreme external fires at 1,250 F for 10 days, the effects of a magnetic pole shift, 450 MPH surface winds, 90 pound hail stones at a speed of 100 mph, force 10 earthquake in successions, 50 megaton air burst detonated 20 miles away."

The sales pitch includes doomsday predictions from various sources. There is also a countdown clock showing less than 950 days to the end of the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012.

The company says the bunker will have enough food for one year.

Book
17th May 2010, 02:52 PM
Ring his doorbell wtshtf and he won't let you in...lol.

:D

I am me, I am free
17th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Fear is the greatest marketing tool.

By my calculations, that's not nearly enough total funds to build the sort of arrangement he's marketing.

Low Pan
17th May 2010, 03:00 PM
to help resist this form of catastrophe, the Vivos shelters are designed to withstand: Flooding submersion for 500 hours, extreme external fires at 1,250 F for 10 days, the effects of a magnetic pole shift, 450 MPH surface winds, 90 pound hail stones at a speed of 100 mph, force 10 earthquake in successions, 50 megaton air burst detonated 20 miles away

lol, I want to see the specs from the testing that proved this /\

I am me, I am free
17th May 2010, 03:24 PM
to help resist this form of catastrophe, the Vivos shelters are designed to withstand: Flooding submersion for 500 hours, extreme external fires at 1,250 F for 10 days, the effects of a magnetic pole shift, 450 MPH surface winds, 90 pound hail stones at a speed of 100 mph, force 10 earthquake in successions, 50 megaton air burst detonated 20 miles away

lol, I want to see the specs from the testing that proved this /\

It would appear he's proposing using Radius Engineering's design, so all the engineering has already been done - http://www.bomb-shelter.net/ethos%20single%20dome.html

Radius Engineering's price for this is ~$6M, so that kinda sorta falls in line with his proposed budget, but I'm still very skeptical, for a number of reasons. Can you imagine being in extremely close quarters with ~33 families who are all complete strangers prior to hunkering down?

Gaillo
17th May 2010, 03:37 PM

Yep. This sounds like the "ETF of Bunkers" to me.
If you don't hold it, you don't own it!

EE_
17th May 2010, 04:13 PM
About $50,000 will get you a spot in EE's facility.
Taking reservations: $5,000/(or trade) for female adults (20 to 30 yrs. old), sorry no kids. Pets are free.

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/doom%20bunker.jpg

Quantum
17th May 2010, 06:15 PM

:D

Or he'll say, "give me all your gold/silver/whatever, the price just went up."

mick silver
17th May 2010, 06:56 PM
i can dig my own hole and pour harden concrete in it to ...

sirgonzo420
17th May 2010, 07:21 PM
Fear is the greatest marketing tool.

By my calculations, that's not nearly enough total funds to build the sort of arrangement he's marketing.

The guy's website says $50,000 per adult and $25,000 per child.

So the article is only off by a factor of 10. LOL.

banjo
17th May 2010, 07:35 PM
It's a sneaky little plan. If the SHTF and he doesn't deliver, what are you gonna do, sue him?

sirgonzo420
17th May 2010, 07:42 PM
It's a sneaky little plan. If the SHTF and he doesn't deliver, what are you gonna do, sue him?

Hahahaha if I were a 'buyer' I'd demand "delivery", and would want to move in that day.

He probably wouldn't like that. LOL.

Ironfield
18th May 2010, 01:15 AM
I’m fairly certain I’ve seen this guy in the news before, need to use some Google-fu. But if memory serves they aren’t going to start construction until they had all the deposits on the 132 prospective occupants.

Beyond that the Radius Engineering's designs do look very good and the concept is something I was looking at when researching my future
underground home.

-Ironfield

More info here plus video (http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-04/apocalypse-fearing-folk-can-seek-shelter-10-million-doomsday-bunker)

Twisted Titan
18th May 2010, 08:32 AM
PT BARNUM LIVES!!!!

Low Pan
18th May 2010, 08:53 AM
nice link I am me, I am Free! Thank you! Cheapest bunker was $190k, a little out of my price range but something to save for!