PDA

View Full Version : Post-SHTF skills/trades

SHTF2010
18th May 2010, 03:34 AM
2 subjects i've been researching for the last year are generators and solar power
the bad news is i don't really have any hands-on experience with solar panels

depending on the severity of SHTF, i can see the sheeple and their brats crying for electricity

what other skills/trades will be useful after TSHTF ?

also keep in mind, if the power grid goes down ( EMP ? )

k-os
18th May 2010, 06:18 AM
Obviously farming and hunting.

How about private well-water management. I have a well, but everyone else in my town has city water now for at least 8 years. They would likely all want to go back to the well, but they probably wouldn't know how.

Also, septic service or alternatives. I stayed at a cool backpacking place on the Belize/Guatemalan border where the toilets were all compost, using sawdust. It was environmentally friendly, needed no plumbing or electricity, and it had no odor. I was very impressed. The same place used only rainwater for shower/cooking.

Nomen luni
18th May 2010, 07:37 AM
Health care- doctor, nurse, dentist.

skid
19th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Repairing/sewing/mending/weaving/butchering/tanning/security...

steveoc
19th May 2010, 07:58 PM
Pseudo-Religious evangelist FTW

k-os
19th May 2010, 08:00 PM
Repairing/sewing/mending/weaving/butchering/tanning/security...

Oooh, I do have some post-SHTF skills, then - sewing and mending, by hand. And I bought hundreds of needles to add to my preps recently.

ximmy
19th May 2010, 08:02 PM
any home repair skills.. electrical, plumbing, carpentry, concrete, welding, even auto repair, can be bartered or skills traded for.

cedarchopper
19th May 2010, 08:29 PM

That's the ticket. Sell them hope and change.

zap
24th May 2010, 08:37 PM
You would be surprised what you know when you have to, and all the talents you have when you really need them.

Liquid
27th May 2010, 03:30 PM
Self-defense against the zombies. ;D

Actually, in my neck of the woods, this would be very useful. There's a lot of retired folk in my community that might need to be taken care of.

Taking care of the elderly with basic home repairs, manual labor, yard work, etc.

Gangsta99
27th May 2010, 07:36 PM
Prostitution. It is the oldest occupation in the world for a reason. :)

wallew
28th June 2010, 02:43 PM
And folks wonder why I left a great, well paying job in computer management back in 1997.

I went BACK to school and got my second degree.

This one is in gunsmithing. Not only did I learn how to work with my hands, I can now PROPERLY operate a machine shop, a woodworking shop, I can weld (though my welds hold, they ARE NOT pretty) and a TON of other things I didn't know with just the one degree.

I also took a knife making course while in gunsmithing school from one of the farrier instructors that was working there at the time.

I have been my own mechanic for more than forty years and I have ALL the tools for working on my trucks. I also have MOST of the tools necessary to work on my Harley, even though I sold it last year (long story).

steyr_m
28th June 2010, 03:07 PM

That's the ticket. Sell them hope and change.

No, that would be under the News/MSM category.

Down1
29th June 2010, 05:28 PM
Depending on how bad it gets with the grid being down, The Frozen Water Trade might make a comeback.
http://www.curledup.com/frozen.htm

I remember last decade there used to be a cobbler around, now out of biz.
I wonder if that trade might come back.

cedarchopper
29th June 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm going to be trading pizzas (or bread) for supplies with my mobile wood fired Pompeii pizza oven ;]

wallew
1st July 2010, 08:06 AM
I'm going to be trading pizzas (or bread) for supplies with my mobile wood fired Pompeii pizza oven ;]

CC,
That thing is AWESOME. AND ON WHEELS? That just rocks. Looks like it will work great. Love the fire bricks sticking out like that. And nice color. What tint did you use in the mix?