PDA

View Full Version : Sell Everything Liquid, You Won't Recognize America By The End Of The Year

sunshine05
18th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Any of you ever hear of him? It doesn't seem like a lot of data to formulate such a strong position of "sell all stocks". I myself have been out of the US stock market since Fall of 08, although I must admit I still hold some GLD stock through my IRA that I should probably sell. Anyhow, interesting article.

Dow Theorist Richard Russell: Sell Everything Liquid, You Won't Recognize America By The End Of The Year

Richard Russell, the famous writer of the Dow Theory Letters, has a chilling line in today's note:

Do your friends a favor. Tell them to "batten down the hatches" because there's a HARD RAIN coming. Tell them to get out of debt and sell anything they can sell (and don't need) in order to get liquid. Tell them that Richard Russell says that by the end of this year they won't recognize the country. They'll retort, "How the dickens does Russell know -- who told him?" Tell them the stock market told him.

That's pretty intense!

Update: By popular demand, here's more on what he sees in the market. The gist is that the markets recent gyrations are telling him that the economy is in trouble:

And I ask myself, "Am I seeing things? The April 26 high for the Dow
was 11205.03. The Dow is selling as write at 10557 down 648 points
from its April high. If business is even better than expected, then
why is the Dow down over 600 points? And why, if there were 674 new
highs on the NYSE on April 26, were there only 20 new highs on Friday,
May 14? And if my PTI was 6133 on April 26, why is it down 17 points
since its April high?

The fact is that I've been seeing deterioration in the stock market
ever since early-April, and this in the face of improving business
news. The D-J Industrial Average is composed of 30 internationally
known top-quality blue-chip stocks. These are 30 of "America's biggest
companies." If Barron's is so bullish on the future of America's
biggest companies, then why isn't the Dow advancing to new highs?

Clearly something is wrong. But what could it be? Much as I love
Barron's, I trust the stock market more. If I read the stock market
correctly, it's telling me that there is a surprise ahead. And that
surprise will be a reversal to the downside for the economy, plus a
collection of other troubles ahead.

About Dow Theory -- First, we saw the recent April highs in the
Averages. Then we saw a plunge in both Averages to their May 7 lows --
Industrials to 10380.43, Transports to 4298.12, next a short rally. If
ahead, the two Averages turn down and violate their May 7 lows, that
would be the clincher. Such action would signal the certain resumption
of the primary bear market.

Just as for years I asked, cajoled, insisted, threatened, demanded,
that my subscribers buy gold, I am now insisting, demanding, begging
my subscribers to get OUT of stocks (including C and BYD, but not
including golds) and get into cash or gold (bullion if possible). If
the two Averages violate their May 7 lows, I see a major crash as the
outcome. Pul - leeze, get out of stocks now, and I don't give a damn
whether you have paper losses or paper profits!

Read more: Link to Article (http://www.businessinsider.com/dow-theorist-richard-russell-sell-everything-liquid-you-wont-recognize-america-by-the-end-of-the-year-2010-5#ixzz0oJLvjcjt)

EDIT: Changed long link to named link to prevent horizontal scrolling. -Gaillo

jedemdasseine
18th May 2010, 12:42 PM
Richard Russell is very well known among the Dow Theory enthusiasts.

I'm not one myself, and I've never followed his work closely, but I've always thought he's better at interpreting the stock markets than most others.

It is unusual for him to make a call like this.

Book
18th May 2010, 12:43 PM
I am now insisting, demanding, begging my subscribers to get OUT of stocks

Mr. Timely...lol.

:D

jedemdasseine
18th May 2010, 12:45 PM
He's often reminded me of the Jim Puplava type.

Ok for newbies, but leaves me bored and wanting more.

like Diet Financial Sense Ultra Lite

k-os
18th May 2010, 01:22 PM
You've got to admit though, he's got a point.

Dow is down another 100+ today.

At this rate (down 100, up 50, repeat), everyone will think it is just a bad day, and will not jump ship. They need to jump ship.

I just sold the last of my GLD shares last week.

jedemdasseine
18th May 2010, 01:32 PM
You've got to admit though, he's got a point.

Dow is down another 100+ today.

At this rate (down 100, up 50, repeat), everyone will think it is just a bad day, and will not jump ship. They need to jump ship.

I just sold the last of my GLD shares last week.

Agreed.

I'd rather go to Vegas or Monaco and try my luck there than own stocks.

More paper promises.

Bullets and beans are more comforting.

High-frequency trading and naked shorts?

Absurd leverage.

Off balance sheet accounting and shadow banking?

It costs 10 cents to short $1000 in Chicago.

Besides, why trust a company like Cede & Co?

Ever try to get a share held in your name?

Not so hard before, but now......

Twisted Titan
18th May 2010, 01:49 PM
Gotta ways to go.....

Horn
18th May 2010, 02:32 PM
Looking for another temporary dollar push? :-*

MNeagle
18th May 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm noticing all these SHTF theories are always 3-6 months out.

gunDriller
18th May 2010, 04:14 PM
heck, i don't recognize America now.

i haven't recognized America since Bush was selected and since 9-11, the Patriot Act, etc.

Ponce
18th May 2010, 04:25 PM
I just got back from the big, BIG town two towns away from me and it was hard to believe what I saw..........many auto places are now empty parking lots and those business that were selling only one item, like lawnmore, are now selling anything and everything, to me it looks like WalMarts in the streets........new trucks for sale all over the place.

I only have two close friends and today I lost one of them because I asked him about the money that I loaned him over a period of time......300 here 500 there 400 over there and so on.....his demeanor changed about three months ago when I told him that I could not lend him anymore money and today he blew his top when I asked him about it.

I going to bad folks, very very bad..........

Book
18th May 2010, 04:45 PM
I only have two close friends and today I lost one of them because I asked him about the money that I loaned him over a period of time...

You might want to also call in the loans from your other "close" friend Ponce. Don't wait to find out wtshtf.

:)

ximmy
18th May 2010, 05:04 PM
I only have two close friends and today I lost one of them because I asked him about the money that I loaned him over a period of time...

You might want to also call in the loans from your other "close" friend Ponce. Don't wait to find out wtshtf.

:)

Don't call in loans... write off the loss before losing friends... If you didn't have it to give, you shouldn't have lent it... I don't know how many thousands I've lent/given... Now, when anyone asks me for a loan I simply say, "I don't have a dime to lend, sorry," simple as that.

gunny highway
18th May 2010, 05:06 PM

i haven't recognized America since Bush was selected and since 9-11, the Patriot Act, etc.

i'm with ya on this one. it was years after these events that i learned the true nature of our enslavement, which made America look even more foreign to me than before.

sunshine05
18th May 2010, 05:19 PM

i'm with ya on this one. it was years after these events that i learned the true nature of our enslavement, which made America look even more foreign to me than before.

Very true :(

Ponce
18th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Hahahahahah thank you guys but you do know my other friend and that's Agnut, the wheeler and dealer of this site.

Agnut and this other guy were in my last will land testament so that means that if anything happens to me then he will, Agnut, will get everything so you guys better be very very nice to him LOL.

That's one reason as to why I don't want "friends" and live away from everyone, many of them are your friend only for as long as you can do something for them.

kregener
18th May 2010, 06:15 PM
I sold the last of my stocks in 2002.

Never regretted it.