PDA

View Full Version : Any Kayakers around these parts?

big country
18th May 2010, 12:54 PM
My wife and I just bought a couple of new kayaks last night. We're total newbies to this, but I want to have yet another physical exercise activity for us to do this summer. We're mostly going to use them for lake fishing, but might take them down a few rivers here in WV with class II-III rapids. (I'd scout them first to make sure the kayak and myself are up to it!)

Dick's Sporting Goods has some killer sales on kayaks and canoes right now, I bought a Future Beach Trophy 126
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/maverick2003/IMG_0509.jpg

and my wife got a Future Beach Fusion 10
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/maverick2003/IMG_0510.jpg

The trophy set us back $299, and the Fusion $229. The Trophy is listed on Dicks website for $549, so I dont know what that is all about... Looking forward to filling the freezer with some tasty bluegill and bass.

MNeagle
18th May 2010, 12:58 PM
Love kayaking. Best thing you can learn is how to roll it, and of course, escape. Take lessons!

cigarlover
18th May 2010, 01:02 PM
I tried it for the first time last year in a state park north of Orlando. Had a blast even with the fear of gators in the water.

k-os
18th May 2010, 01:06 PM
I am jealous. Or maybe inspired . . .

I love kayaking, but I'd rather do it in the winter time here. I can drop into an ocean-access canal a mere acre away from me. Then it's only 10 or so miles to the ocean . . . oh boy.

I really should get one. Were those prices including the paddles?

big country
18th May 2010, 01:09 PM
no, We bought paddles for $39 each, plus Obrien Neoprene life vests for $99, buy one get one free (so basically $50)

We were out of the store with both kayaks, 2 paddles, 2 NICE life jackets, and both of our fishing licenses including trout stamps for $793

Since they're only 10' kayaks they easily fit in the bed of my pickup, tailgate down (S-10 w/ 7' bed)

....It's expensive being married! Twice the price on everything! Ha!

cigarlover
18th May 2010, 01:16 PM
If TSHTF I wonder how they would do on a 90 mile trip to Cuba? Maybe use a ton of silver for ballast?

k-os
18th May 2010, 01:18 PM
....It's expensive being married! Twice the price on everything! Ha!

Yes, but you have someone to go with you. :boohoo

keehah
18th May 2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, but I have been out of the saddle for a while.
Have fun!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbgrhjdvoo

k-os
18th May 2010, 01:55 PM
Yes, but I have been out of the saddle for a while.
Have fun!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbgrhjdvoo

^ He can be my buddy. ;)

keehah
18th May 2010, 02:01 PM
He looks good, but Check out the 'creeking' forward thrust at 40 seconds.

But I think that is an honest kayaker stretch though. Fresh off the boat.

big country
18th May 2010, 02:41 PM
I'll be going out with my wife mostly. We bought kayaks instead of a canoe though so I can easily take it on a solo fishing trip. My wife is pregnant with our first child so she won't be able to go with me all the time in a few months (Due in Sept.) and after she'll be able to go with me even less. I plan on sticking to the lakes/ponds only when I'm solo for a long time.

I mostly got them to fish from anyways from the lakes. Easier to catch fish in a boat it seems...

big country
21st May 2010, 11:46 AM
A few updates:

My wife works at the YMCA. She just informed me that they have a kayaking class (kind of suprising. I live in a small town). I'll be taking it, it is basically learning to roll in their pool. It starts sometime this summer and costs like $20. Money well spent.

Last nights expedition:

Seat back is low on the stock seat. Pushes up my PFD which is uncomfortable and makes me look humpbacked. Honestly I'm not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/maverick2003/IMGP3901.jpg

First catch. Little guy. He went back in the water.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/maverick2003/IMGP3895.jpg

Last catch. Would have kept him for dinner but it was a catch and release night. Small bluegills like him taste awesome. Since I already blew my cover in the honest avatar thread here is a recent one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/maverick2003/IMGP3898.jpg

Caught two bass the size of the one in the picture and 5 bluegill all around that size. We were only out about 2 hours. Went out after work and had to get back before dark to mow last night.

MNeagle
21st May 2010, 11:49 AM
She just informed me that they have a kayaking class (kind of suprising. I live in a small town). I'll be taking it, it is basically learning to roll in their pool. It starts sometime this summer and costs like $20. Money well spent.

Excellent. That's where I learned too, in a pool. Definitely worth every penny! Practice extra if you can.

k-os
21st May 2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing, big country. I want one! I passed by a Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and had to resist the urge. I wouldn't even be able to get it home.

MNeagle
21st May 2010, 11:57 AM
K-os, you might check if Dick's would deliver it to your home. Very possible! And you're so close to water access you'd have a blast w/ it!

big country
21st May 2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for sharing, big country. I want one! I passed by a Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and had to resist the urge. I wouldn't even be able to get it home.

When we bought ours the staff carried them outside for us. Before we got to the car he asked us what they'd be loading them in and before I could answer he said "please tell me it isn't a Corolla or little Miata." I laughed and told him an S10. But I had to ask for more information. He said he had a lady bring a miata and bought a kayak for her husband and asked if it would fit in the trunk. I didn't know what else to say or ask other then to shake my head.

It was a hoot. I'm going out again tonight. I'll some pictures if I get any action.

PS- Dick's website will deliver to the house but their prices are higher (for example my kayak on their website costs $550 w/ paddle, I paid $299) PLUS they have an extra shipping charge I think. The local store may deliver though, I don't know about that. BUT if you can't get it home how are you going to get it to the lake?

k-os
21st May 2010, 12:02 PM
K-os, you might check if Dick's would deliver it to your home. Very possible! And you're so close to water access you'd have a blast w/ it!

They might, I am only a few miles away. I know I would love it. It's just that it's 89 degrees out right now, and it will be in the upper eighties for the next 3 months, unless it's raining.

And the a/c in my bedroom died today. So it's 89 degrees in my bedroom, and I have to buy a new a/c or I will burst into flames. :sun: (I really don't know what that emoticon is for).

MNeagle
21st May 2010, 12:06 PM
http://images.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_TN/0515-0908-2402-2123_TN.jpg

I can drop into an ocean-access canal a mere acre away from me.

k-os
21st May 2010, 12:06 PM
When we bought ours the staff carried them outside for us. Before we got to the car he asked us what they'd be loading them in and before I could answer he said "please tell me it isn't a Corolla or little Miata." I laughed and told him an S10.
. . .
BUT if you can't get it home how are you going to get it to the lake?

My car is not a Corolla or a Miata, but it is a small car.

I will only need a piece of wood and a couple of wheels to walk it about an acre to the canal. I can paddle to the nearest lake which is .5 to a mile on either side, and the ocean is 10 miles.

MNeagle
21st May 2010, 12:07 PM
Or a friend w/ a truck/trailer....

big country
21st May 2010, 12:11 PM
Lucky you! I might be a little bit jealous! Salt Water fishing is awesome.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
21st May 2010, 12:16 PM
I have been down the kern river several times during the past two summers, but that was in an IK (Inflatable Kayak) not a hardbottom....So freaking fun, I even fell out once or twice and I was quick enough to get back in before I got dashed on the rocks...

No sport has ever made me feel more alive or exhilarated than kayaking...it even beats parasailing, which is also fun

gunDriller
21st May 2010, 02:00 PM
My wife and I just bought a couple of new kayaks last night. We're total newbies to this, but I want to have yet another physical exercise activity for us to do this summer. We're mostly going to use them for lake fishing, but might take them down a few rivers here in WV with class II-III rapids. (I'd scout them first to make sure the kayak and myself are up to it!)

so you don't have to worry about sharks !

just rocks. 8)