PDA

View Full Version : Federal Trade Commission to create video game; kids to be "better consumers"

TheNocturnalEgyptian
19th May 2010, 05:36 PM
The FTC wants to teach children about the evils of advertising. Or so they claim.

http://toughsledding.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/federal-trade-commission-ftc-logo_jpg.png

When the government gets involved in video games, it's normally not a good thing. Usually it's to denounce the industry for all of the evils they've unleashed on the world...unless of course the government is making the game. Then it's okay. All politics aside, the U.S. government has tasked the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to create a video game that will train kids to be better consumers.

In the game Admongo, players traverse a virtual city (jumping and moving just like in a platform game) in which they will be bombarded by advertisements. They can be on buses, billboards, signs, TVs, or even in a video game (within the game itself). No matter how the ads present themselves, the game will prompt the player to answer three questions: Who is responsible for the ad? What is it trying to say? What does the ad want me to do?

The goal of the game is simple. By teaching kids these marketing techniques they'll have more of a chance of growing up to be savvy consumers. They can be more aware of the manipulative marketing techniques and will be less likely to fall for the hype. Thus fewer impulse spending, and better money management. It is an interesting idea, but it seems counter-productive when the FTC partnered with Scholastic and Fleishman-Hillard (a PR firm) to make the game.

Really? So to make an anti-advertising game, they're going to hire a large company who has no interest in taking down ads and an advertising agency?

Sounds kind of backwards to me. But in light of such criticism the FTC is quick to point out that while they outsourced the actual production of the game, all of the content comes directly from the government. In their defense having the Scholastic logo will almost guarantee it's use in school curriculum's, so they'll be able to easily hit their target audience.

Since the FTC is designed to regulate commerce it's a pretty sly move, especially with the current economy being what it is. I think it's a great way to help teach kids about the perils of flashy advertisements. Let's face it, some of the ads out there can totally suck you and and take your money long before you realize how terrible a product it really is (thanks a lot Lair).

If you want to take a crack at the latest game the government has to offer it's live and playable over at the official Admongo site. I played through this game and must say, it's definitely not the worst game I've ever played. As a platformer, it's actually pretty decent, as you run and jump around trying to collect the ads around the city and decode them. It's on the same fun level as Oregon Trail. It's fun and it's a video game, but it is definitely an educational game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBMbakVxGk&feature=player_embedded