PDA

View Full Version : Home-made, underground, three-story bunker

Quantum
19th May 2010, 05:49 PM
Photos & video at link.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Inside-look-at-East-Austin-tunnel-home-94200924.html

Photos reveal inside look at East Austin tunnel home

by NOELLE NEWTON / KVUE News

Posted on May 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Updated yesterday at 6:14 PM

* Tunnels discovered beneath East Austin home
* 19 guns taken from tunnels under East Austin home

The City of Austin Tuesday released photos of the web of tunnels a man dug underneath his East Austin home.

Under the yellow home are three stories of tunnels. For at least two years, neighbors suspected owner Jose Del Rio was up to something strange, but had no idea just how busy he'd been.

"He must have dug day and night, day and night,” said Zeldta Landon.

Landon's grandmother lives next door to the property. She showed KVUE where the ground has begun to cave in along the fence line. You can even see down into Del Rio's underground bunker. She says Del Rio was often seen carrying out loads of dirt.

On Tuesday, the city released pictures from below taken by code compliance officers. Del Rio apparently used ladders to travel from level to level.

According to a search warrant executed on May 8th, officers found 19 guns down there, ammunition, batteries and chemicals.

"Primarily some compressed gas tanks, acetylene and oxygen, which are primarily used for welding,” said Melissa Martinez, code compliance department.

KVUE shared the photos with Landon's family.

"It's scary to know that he had all that down there. What if something had exploded,” Landon said.

Melissa Martinez with the city code compliance department says the priority is safely removing those chemicals.

The city is working with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Once the property is safe, officers will be able to determine just how many code violations Del Rio has and if the house will remain standing.

"I can tell you that our consulting engineering group has given a recommendation on the extent of the excavation and they believe that filling the hole is a viable option,” Martinez said.

We should know the final decision on the property in two weeks.

Ironfield
19th May 2010, 10:46 PM
The pictures and video hardly tell us anything sadly, seems to have shored up some of the walls but not exactly a bang up job.

The story reminded me of the recent case of the UK mole man (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/aug/08/communities.uknews) another subterranean burrower whose tunnel system caused all sorts of issues.

-Ironfield

gunDriller
20th May 2010, 05:05 AM
to me this seems like a God-given right.

if the tunnel caves in because the guy didn't engineer it right, so be it.

otherewise, leave him alone & let him dig.

I am me, I am free
20th May 2010, 06:58 AM
The first thing the cops did were to take all the guns away from the owner, a 70 y.o. Vietnam vet. Then the cops give the compelling explanation: "We didn't confiscate anything (i.e. the man's guns), we're *just holding them for safe-keeping* until he's able to move back into his house."

Ponce
20th May 2010, 07:50 AM
When freedom is ready to go the first thing that goes are your guns.

Gaillo
20th May 2010, 12:48 PM
When freedom is ready to go the first thing that goes are your guns.

Indeed. If you can't defend it, you don't own it.