PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Lawmakers Pass Millionaire Tax; Veto Looms

MNeagle
20th May 2010, 04:00 PM
May 20 (Bloomberg) -- Lawmakers in New Jersey’s Democrat- controlled Assembly voted to raise income taxes on residents earning at least $1 million a year, as Republican Governor Chris Christie said he’d veto the bill.

The chamber passed the measure 46-32 in a vote that broke down along party lines. Of 33 Republicans, 32 voted no. The Senate took up the bill after the vote and may set up the Legislature for a showdown with Christie, 47, as the deadline approaches to have a balanced budget in place when the fiscal year ends on June 30.

“We’ve got a lot of people who can’t afford to pay their taxes” and need the rebates that the measure may restore, Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver said before the vote. “Six- hundred thousand older adults would be better off.”

Democrats hold a 47-33 majority in the Assembly and a 23-17 edge in the Senate. While controlling both chambers, they lack the two-thirds majority needed to override a Christie veto without cooperation from Republican lawmakers.

The temporary tax increase is projected to reap $637 million in revenue that Democrats may use to eliminate cuts to senior programs proposed by Christie, including restoration of property-tax rebates for about 600,000 residents. The governor’s $29.3 billion budget contains $10 billion in spending cuts, including $820 million from school aid, and puts off a $3 billion pension payment.

‘Defining Moment’

“This is a defining moment -- it seems to me to be all about taxes, taxes and taxes,” Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce, a Republican from Parsippany, said during more than an hour of floor debate before the vote. Referring to Democrats, he said, “that’s all you guys do.”

About 16,000 New Jersey tax filers have incomes of more than $1 million, legislators said during the Assembly debate. That’s less than 1 percent of the state’s 3.9 million total.

“I don’t have an issue with millionaires, I just have an issue with people not sharing in the sacrifice,” said Senate President Stephen Sweeney, a Democrat from West Deptford. “Those 16,000 people can help 600,000.”

Christie yesterday said he planned to restore the $55.5 million in cuts he proposed to the Pharmaceuticals for the Aged and Disabled program without raising taxes.

Democrats also sent Christie a separate measure that pares a pending $1 billion increase in the state business tax that supports unemployment benefits. The bill limits the increase, set to take effect July 1, to $300 million.

The measure passed by both chambers also omits cuts in jobless benefits sought by Christie and Republican lawmakers.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aU0WFRUuE490&pos=9

Saul Mine
20th May 2010, 04:06 PM
Next headline: 16 MILLIONAIRE FAMILIES LEAVE STATE!