PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my dog:(

sunshine05
21st May 2010, 02:28 PM
I have a 2 year old American Eskimo dog. She is a good dog around the family and a great watch dog because she barks a lot at everything she hears and sees. However, every time I have someone over she barks at them for quite a while. I keep her on the leash until she calms down and I know she isn't going to bite the guests. My mother-in-law is here now and she is actually growling a little. I had to put her in my bathroom for now but I don't want to keep her locked away all weekend. I had a trainer over a while back to work with her and she basically told me to do what I've been doing and just to keep her on the leash until she calms down. I'm starting to really stress ahead of time when someone will be staying with us:(. Any suggestions?

sunshine05
22nd May 2010, 07:25 PM
Update: Since she was so aggressive toward my MIL, I decided to keep her outside or away from her rather than dealing with all the barking. But I'm thinking I may have to send her to a bootcamp or something because she growled at the neighbor today while I was walking her. Not sure why she is acting this way but it's stressing me out. ???

willie pete
22nd May 2010, 07:30 PM
She's OK with the family though right? it maybe a good thing her not getting use to others

StackerKen
22nd May 2010, 07:49 PM
Pete has a good point.

Our dogs don't like strangers, so we have to keep them put away when we have company

Im not sure if you would want to punish a dog for not liking strangers...

Book
22nd May 2010, 07:51 PM
My mother-in-law is here now and she is actually growling a little.

http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/12/muzzle.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist...lol.

:D

sunshine05
22nd May 2010, 08:42 PM
LOL Thanks Book:) You seriously have me laughing all the time with the photos you post!

She is the gentlest dog with the family. She just does not like strangers. I wouldn't want to punish her for the barking but I want her to know that if I think someone is okay, it's safe. She doesn't need to go into attack mode.

ImaCannin
24th May 2010, 09:25 AM
:conf: :conf: :conf:

sunshine05
24th May 2010, 03:44 PM
You know, dogs can sense bad stuff in some people. Not saying that you MIL is a bad person.

One time we were getting an estimate on getting our pasture mowed, and two Lezbo's showed up to give the estimate, and my very sweet dog got very upset and stood between me and the lezbo. He had never done that before. For some reason he did not like them. From that time on we called it "GAYDAR" . Listen to your dogs!

If your dog does not like MIL, just keep the dog on a leash or put up while she is there.... Your dog is doing its job.

Two of my dogs dont like many people, and don't like strangers to pet them. Recently I had to take both (at different times) to the natural Dogtor. They both liked the vet. I don't think I could have taken them to the other vet and got that kind of response

Thanks for the reply. Gaydar, lol:). I think there is something to what you're saying. With everyone else, she will bark at first and then calms down and will let the guests pet her and she even goes to them to play fetch,etc. But for some reason, twice now with my MIL she really does NOT like her. To be honest, I don't either. I tolerate her but we are not close at all. I wonder if my dog can pick up on the negative vibe between us? It ended up not being too bad. I kept the dog in my master bathroom during the day, took her for lots of walks and let her have the run of the house while we were out. She only visits about once/year so it's not a big deal to put her away for a few days. I was a little shook up about the growling/showing her teeth. I had never seen her act that way around someone before. But hopefully it is just certain people, like you say. Thanks again.

Jewboo
24th November 2018, 06:34 PM
Brand Name : Prozac 20 mg
Consumer Price per 100 : $247.47

Neighbor lady's very old black Lab is recently now on Prozac (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-your-pooch-really-need-prozac/2018/04/27/e6128470-2963-11e8-b79d-f3d931db7f68_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7dfade21fce9).

:(??