PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson knew...

Awoke
25th May 2010, 12:03 PM
An email that my mother-in-law sent me... Surprising to see this kind of thing from her!

HOW DID JEFFERSON KNOW?
Especially: Read the last quote from 1802.

When we get piled
Upon one another in large cities, as in Europe,
We shall become as corrupt as Europe ..
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist
When you take away from those
Who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every
Generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save
One-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for
Americans if they can prevent the government
From wasting the labors of the people under the
Pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me
That most bad government results from too much
Government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred
The use of arms..
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the
People to retain the right to keep and bear arms
Is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
Against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be
Refreshed from time to time with the blood of
Patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with
His taxes the propagation of ideas which he
Disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
'I believe that
Banking institutions are more dangerous to
Our liberties than standing armies.
If the American people ever allow
Private banks to control the issue of their
Currency, first by inflation, then by
Deflation, the banks and corporations that will
Grow up around the banks will deprive the people
Of all property - until their children
Wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
Conquered.'

jedemdasseine
25th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Assuming the quote is true, it's probably because a century of French monetary upheaval was very recent history. I've no doubt Jefferson had studied John Law.

Furthermore, who among the founding fathers didn't know the details of the Medicis? Of the Bank of England? Bills of exchange? Of Roman coinage?

etc.

Awoke
25th May 2010, 12:28 PM
meh, I was just sharing an email that surprised me.

Jefferson was a member of the FMC (http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/uspresidentasmasons.htm) as well.

greenbear
25th May 2010, 12:50 PM
Awoke, I've received similar emails from my Dad. I keep hoping for the spark of understanding to be ignited, but it's always back to the Republican party and Rush Limbaugh as the answer. It's very hard to allow one's mind to snap out of the paradigm it's operated under for a very long time. Or for a very short time, for that matter. Paper promises are real. U.S. markets are free. There could be no longstanding, inter-generational conspiracy because no one could be that evil.

Ares
25th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Thomas Jefferson

That one is a load of shit. Jefferson knew damn well we weren't a democracy.

Ash_Williams
25th May 2010, 01:51 PM
I think the distinction is meaningless in modern times. Is there any government that operates as a Democracy in the truest sense of the word? I doubt it. The word has come to describe the republic where people elect representatives. Probably because it has a better ring to it, and you can't say "republicocratic process". It wouldn't work for Bush to have said we were "spreading republicicity."

The quote in question he may have been speaking out why a hypothetical true democracy will fail, rather than referring to the US as a democracy.

Keep in mind Jefferson founded the "Democratic-Republican" party, just to add to the confusion. Representatives are elected democratically within a republic. In my opinion, since there are no governments that are a true democracy, the ambigiuty is solved right there (as long as the topic is governments and not hockey teams or something) and there's no point getting riled up over the use of the word.

Twisted Titan
25th May 2010, 02:18 PM
The strongest reason for the
People to retain the right to keep and bear arms
Is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
Against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

QFT

Libertytree
25th May 2010, 03:14 PM
Tell me Jefferson didn't know and forsee what could happen!!!

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...we [will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers. And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent ...till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery. And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression."

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Hatha Sunahara
25th May 2010, 03:59 PM
I think the distinction is meaningless in modern times. Is there any government that operates as a Democracy in the truest sense of the word? I doubt it. The word has come to describe the republic where people elect representatives. Probably because it has a better ring to it, and you can't say "republicocratic process". It wouldn't work for Bush to have said we were "spreading republicicity."

The quote in question he may have been speaking out why a hypothetical true democracy will fail, rather than referring to the US as a democracy.

Keep in mind Jefferson founded the "Democratic-Republican" party, just to add to the confusion. Representatives are elected democratically within a republic. In my opinion, since there are no governments that are a true democracy, the ambiguity is solved right there (as long as the topic is governments and not hockey teams or something) and there's no point getting riled up over the use of the word.

I think Jefferson saw democracy as the right to vote for your leaders, rather than to have them imposed upon you from above. I think what he meant was that if you allow your leaders to use government to redistribute wealth, you will lose the right to vote them out. And of course, once again, he is correct.

Hatha

madfranks
25th May 2010, 05:27 PM
Thomas Jefferson

That one is a load of sh*t. Jefferson knew damn well we weren't a democracy.

Yeah, the above is not a genuine quote from Jefferson.