PDA

View Full Version : Another BP Oil Spill - get the torches lit it's about time to storm the castle

JohnQPublic
25th May 2010, 06:38 PM
When you thought it could not get any worse for BP...

Trans-Alaska Pipeline, Owned By BP, Shut Down After Oil Spill (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/trans-alaska-pipeline-owned-bp-shut-down-after-oil-spill)

If BP was a comatose patient on a ventilator, this is where the doctor would say, "enough, better luck next time" and pull the plug. With the firm about to see a lynch mob on its corporate HQ grounds any day now, the last thing the company can afford is news of another oil spill. Enter Murphy's law. Reuters reports: "The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, partly owned by BP, shut down on Tuesday after a crude oil spill, drastically cutting supply out of Alaska's oilfields." The only good news out of this: it is now abundantly clear that actual oil supply and demand are the last things on anyone's mind when determining what the price of crude should be. Kinda like pretty much every other asset in America these days.

More from Reuters:

The accident comes at a difficult time for BP -- the largest single owner of the pipeline, holding 47 percent of Alyeska -- as it struggles to plug a gushing Gulf of Mexico oil well.

The shutdown followed a series of mishaps that resulted from a scheduled fire-command system test at Pump Station 9, about 100 miles south of Fairbanks, said Alyeska Pipeline Service Co, the operator of the 800-mile (1,287 km) oil line said.

The power outage triggered opening of relief valves, causing an unspecified volume of crude oil to overflow a storage tank into a secondary containment. There were no injuries, but the work site was evacuated, Alyeska said.

North Slope oil producers have been instructed to cut their flow to 16 percent of their normal rates, Alyeska said.

Alyeska is a consortium owned by five oil companies. Major owners are BP, ConocoPhillips (COP.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Exxon Mobil (XOM.N: Quote, Profile, Research). Unocal and Koch hold minor shares.

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, which runs from Prudhoe Bay to the tanker port of Valdez, normally ships about 667,000 barrels of oil daily.

DMac
26th May 2010, 06:25 AM
UPDATE 3-BP-owned Alaska oil pipeline shut after spill (http://in.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idINN2514942320100526)

snip

* 800-mile pipeline from Alaska's oilfields closed

* Pipeline part-owned by BP

* Producers cutting output to 16 pct of normal (Adds background on importance of pipeline)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, May 25 (Reuters) - The Trans-Alaska Pipeline, partly owned by BP (BP.L: Quote, Profile, Research), shut down on Tuesday after spilling several thousand barrels of crude oil into backup containers, drastically cutting supply down the main artery between refineries and Alaska's oilfields.

The accident comes at a difficult time for BP -- the largest single owner of the pipeline operator, holding 47 percent -- as it struggles to plug a gushing Gulf of Mexico oil well [ID:nN2597511].

The shutdown followed a series of mishaps that resulted from a scheduled fire-command system test at Pump Station 9, about 100 miles (161 km) south of Fairbanks, said Alyeska Pipeline Service Co, the operator of the 800-mile oil line.

The power outage triggered opening of relief valves, causing an unspecified volume of crude oil to overflow a storage tank into a secondary containment. There were no injuries, but the approximately 40 people at the work site were evacuated, Alyeska spokeswoman Michele Egan said.

k-os
26th May 2010, 06:48 AM
Unbelievable, isn't it?

Large Sarge
26th May 2010, 06:54 AM
coal mine disaster/explosion

gulf oil spill

alaska pipeline fracture

hmmm...

whats next?

awful lot of coincidences, for a short period of time

JDRock
26th May 2010, 07:11 AM
looks like they're hell bent on disrupting supply as a ruse to jack oil prices into the stratosphere...to hasten the calamity in America.

JohnQPublic
26th May 2010, 07:40 AM
looks like they're hell bent on disrupting supply as a ruse to jack oil prices into the stratosphere...to hasten the calamity in America.

Maybe they know something we do not (i.e., real peak oil).

General of Darkness
26th May 2010, 07:47 AM
coal mine disaster/explosion

gulf oil spill

alaska pipeline fracture

hmmm...

whats next?

awful lot of coincidences, for a short period of time

Israel nukes Iran with a nuke they admit to not having. :dunno

big country
26th May 2010, 08:06 AM
well it wasn't really a "spill" it all went into designated contaiment areas...so it was just a failure, that really isn't that big of a deal because all the backup measures worked correctly.

Still though, I'm sure if we stretch our imaginations enough we can find someway to blame this on the jews too :oo-->

Ponce
26th May 2010, 08:08 AM
big country? give me time and I'll find it.............

First post of the day...........good morning to one and all.

big country
26th May 2010, 08:15 AM
Alright ponce, I'll be waiting! haha.

Sorry for the sarcasm, though I know there is some serious evidence to their meddling in world affairs, I was just being sarcastic because it seems like everything on this forums gets blamed on them somehow. I just don't buy it. Sometimes things just happen on accident.

gunDriller
26th May 2010, 08:34 AM
Unbelievable, isn't it?

well ... not really.

Matt Simmons has been k'vetching about rusty aging oil industry infra-structure forever.

bottom line is, many sections of the Alaska pipeline are literally foil-thin.

the culture in the oil industry applies to both the Alaska Pipeline and the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

basically, engineers who advocate following "best technical practices" - at the expense of profits - are less likely to be promoted to manager.

similarly, engineers who say, "shouldn't we take another day and check it out ?" don't get promoted to manager.

it's a culture that promotes recklessness.

there's more info on our aging oil infrastructure at Matt Simmons' website -
http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/research.aspx?Type=msspeeches

his 2008 talk on Rusty pipelines
http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/files/OTC%202008.pdf

his most recent speech was Feb. 24, 2010. it will be very interesting to read his first post-Deepwater speech.

his background is very technical, and he manages about $60 billion in Texas.

k-os
26th May 2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks, gunDriller. That makes a lot of sense to me, the part about fostering recklessness in the pursuit of profits.