PDA

View Full Version : Numismatic Addiction?

chinmusic
25th May 2010, 07:35 PM
Is it possible? At times I feel like a junkie...searching my sources on the net for a specific coin that I "must" have. When I find it I often rattle off the logical reasons not to purchase... " The car is making an odd sound", "this winter's heating bill is gonna be a bear' etc etc etc. But in the end I find myself justifying the purchase.

Today I am dropping an envelope in the mail with a check for just over a grand in it. In about a week I will get a small box in return and inside that box a small plastic slab. I tell myself that it is gold, in time it will prove to be money well spent. We all know the mind games we play with ourselves.

Is it an addiction? I hope not but it sure has some of the characteristics of addictions. Am I unusual? I hope to hear I am not. The term "gold fever" comes to mind....

jedemdasseine
25th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Yes, it's an addiction.

Often the only way to cure a numismatic addiction is to attempt to sell one's collection, which is probably the last thing you will do.

Or get a job working in a coin store. That will cure it really fast.

But alas! If you're so afflicted, then you ought to make the best of your illness and enjoy it.

1970 silver art
15th July 2010, 04:52 AM
I am not into numismatics in the true sense of the word but I like to collect '70's silver art bars ('70's SAB). I've had this '70's SAB "addiction" for about 2 years now but I have kept it under control since I am on a budget. ;D

Even when I am not buying '70's SAB's, I am always on ebay studying ebay prices on certain silver art bars and studying my silver art bar price guides to learn more about them. Yeah it might be an addiction but I am always learning something about certain silver art bars and I am happy when I buy a silver art bar that has been on my silver art bar "wish list" for a decent premium over spot.

Book
15th July 2010, 05:04 AM
Yes, it's an addiction.

http://redlinecollector.com/conventions/2005_la/conv_05_11.JPG

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01369/Barbie-collector_1369646i.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/business/money/planning/wheeling-and-dealing/2009/04/27/1240684398028.html

COLLECTING is the addiction. It doesn't matter what the fixation item is.

:)

madfranks
15th July 2010, 06:35 AM
I guess it could be characterized as an addiction, and I'm kind of the same way. I'm in the process of putting together a U.S. type coin set, and I'll be borderline obsessed with getting the next piece of my collection. I remember when I was trying to get a 20 cent piece, for weeks I researched this type of coin and searched everywhere to find the best example I could find. Now that I have it, I've moved on and am more interested in the next piece.

chinmusic
15th July 2010, 05:31 PM
I am the same with my 7070 album. Recently searched for a very long time for a half cent. I "had" to have an 1804 with spiked chin. Kind of childish of me actually, but I enjoyed the search and have developed an interest in early American copper coins.

Korbin Dallas
15th July 2010, 09:29 PM
I obsessed on a certain Peace dollar which was the last one I needed to complete a set. It was the hardest of all dates and mintmarks, especially in the grade I wanted. I ended up paying more than I wanted to, but It was satisfying to finally get my "fix". Now it's on to the next obsession/addiction, standing liberty quarters.