PDA

View Full Version : There are 1,541 Centenarians Living in Cuba.

Ponce
27th May 2010, 08:15 PM
In two more years my dad will be one of them........how about your people? how long do they live?
================================================== ===

There are 1,541 Centenarians Living in Cuba.

JOSEPH A. DE LA OSA

Updating the study of centenarians in Cuba, that took place in the period between 2004-2008, a multicenter study coordinated by the National Aging and Social Welfare Office, Ministry of Public Health, shows that in our country there are currently 1,541 people in ages beyond the hundreds, 53 more than two years ago.

This indicates that in Cuba one in every 7.296 Cubans lives to be 100 and among the aged population (over 60), one in every 1,269 make it to the century.

The issue will be analysed in the new edition of the International Seminar on Satisfactory Longevity: Integral Vision, which includes a gathering of centenarians, from this Wednesday until Friday at the Hotel Nacional de Cuba with the participation of delegates from ten countries. This study motivates a lot of interest among researchers and the general population consists of a group of people who overcame environmental and health obstacles to achieve the higher limits of life.

A rector in Cuba, one of those who have exceeded the 100 curve, is Juana de la Candelaria Rodriguez, 125 years old on February 28, who lives in the city of Campechuela in the province of Granma.

The president of the 120 Years Club and the Caribbean Medical Association (AMECA), Professor Eugenio Selman-Housein Abdo, in his book "How to Live 120 Years," published by Science and Technology, supports six key elements, as building blocks for the expansion of life.

Motivation, from an early age, because we are what motivates us, the food, fruits and vegetables and eating a little of "everything," avoiding the extremes of health, focusing on prevention, physical activity for 30 minutes 3-5 days a week, because "we need change," culture and spiritual enrichment has a tendency to combat excessive stress, along with healthy surroundings and environment.

cigarlover
27th May 2010, 10:49 PM
It must be the multitrillion dollar health care system they have down there. :sarc:

Its probably the lack of fast food..

Apparition
27th May 2010, 11:01 PM

And probably a healthier lifestyle diet in general.

cigarlover
28th May 2010, 01:58 AM
Definitely. I found the normal Cuban diet to be fairly bland. Not a lot of precessed foods at all and Monsanto probably hasnt gotten in down there either. Typical meal is black beans and rice, chicken and some sort of salad. Breakfast, fresh fruit and eggs and the best coffee in the world.

Large Sarge
28th May 2010, 02:00 AM
they use ozone therapy all over the island, its in virtually every small clinic

that goes a long long way

diet is important also

but not stuffing elderly people full of toxic drugs helps also

Awoke
28th May 2010, 05:35 AM

This is exactly correct.

If they are eating a plant based diet, that would explain their longevity. Our food and drug industries are part of the conspiracy to kill of 90% of us.

k-os
28th May 2010, 05:48 AM
I agree with the lack of packaged and fast foods . . . lack of restaurants in general in Cuba.

Also, there is no such thing as "over the counter" medication.

You have to go to a doctor to get Tylenol. I learned that the hard way.

Ash_Williams
28th May 2010, 07:05 AM
This indicates that in Cuba one in every 7.296 Cubans lives to be 100 and among the aged population (over 60), one in every 1,269 make it to the century.

I don't understand this line. Is it 1 in 7.296 that make it to 100, or 1 in 1,269?

Just going with the raw numbers you have about 0.0135% of cubans being over 100 and 0.0183% of Americans, so we're doing about 35% better with our fast food and drugs and not using ozone therapy.

Edit: my numbers were outdated. The proportion of 100+ year olds in America is actually 48% higher, not 35%.

Large Sarge
28th May 2010, 07:12 AM
In two more years my dad will be one of them........how about your people? how long do they live?
================================================== ===

There are 1,541 Centenarians Living in Cuba.

JOSEPH A. DE LA OSA

Updating the study of centenarians in Cuba, that took place in the period between 2004-2008, a multicenter study coordinated by the National Aging and Social Welfare Office, Ministry of Public Health, shows that in our country there are currently 1,541 people in ages beyond the hundreds, 53 more than two years ago.

this is hard to understand, the stats above
but you see that they have 53 more folks over a hundred than they had 2 years ago.

that means the population of centenarians is increasing

so we get 1488 100 year olds 2 years ago
add 53 in 2 years

and we see a growth rate of almost 4% in 2 years

Ponce
28th May 2010, 10:12 AM
You got it, no fast food.......

And very little prescription drugs.........the best drug store in the island??? is a 20X15' room where many of the shelves have the same thing to make it look fuller, but of course is only for the tourists and embassy personal...and...they even have an armed guard by the door outside.

The same goes for the the only place in the island where you can buy power tools, all of them the best of the best in a room about 15X30'.........but........only for the contractors building the hotels and other buildings for the tourists and none for the natives Cubans.

To the guy that drives me around whenever I used to go to Cuba, the second time that I went back, I took new spark plugs, bearins, points and so on for his 1959 Buick and he almost cry from happines......he is now living in Miami.

To the guy living across the street, who is a mechanic, I gave him a complete set of timing light, pressure gage, feeler gage and so on, he told me that he would take care of my drivers car for free for ever.

And to the guy who fixed the water pipe at my dad's home some stuff for plumber to use, he held my hand and would not let go........I was the one that almost cry hahahahahah.

They say that money cannot buy happines........I say "Bull" because I did bring happines to many in more ways than one.

MNeagle
28th May 2010, 10:15 AM
Another powerful story Ponce. Thanks.

Ponce
28th May 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, to you and others it might be "powerfull" but to me is a everyday occurrence, an as long as I have the cash I am more than happy to do it.

There is a church here in town that serves free lunches on Monday and Thursday and once in a while I go there for lunch, they have a "donation" box for people to put in what ever they can afford.....I just to put in a $100.00 dollar bill till one day I saw the volunteers looking really close at everyone that got close to the box and as soon as I put in the cash one of them came in running and told me to give them the cash instead of using the box hahahahahahahah.

Things that I have done for fun......not "braggin" just telling you.

When I had my company there was a trash dumpster right across from my office and this one old man came pushing a grocery cart full of junk, he went into the dumpster and while he was there I went and placed a five dollar bill on the cart, he came back to the cart and saw the cash and started to look all over the place to see what was going on.........funny as hell.

At the grocery store this old man was at the back of the store counting his loose change and when I went past him I bent down and pretended to pick up a five dollar bill and I then asked him "Excuse me sir, did you drop this?" and he said "Oh yes, yes, yes, thank you very much" hahahahahaha.

One time on Venice Beach this old man came to me and asked me if I had some spare change ( he was nice and clean ) and I gave him a five dollar bill.....but.......he didn't want it because it was "to much" so instead I gave him a twenty dollar bill and the guy didn't know what to say.........made him very happy and me much more.

Like the above stories I have many more and I like to tell them because maybe that could be the "push" for others to do the same.

I also donate, by mail, to the Palestinian people by way of "Interpal.com" in the UK.......this is for the kids who's fathers have been killed by the Zionists.

cigarlover
28th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Great story Ponce, I know how you feel too. I have done the same many times. I remember my 2nd trip to the Island I took 2 huge boxes of stuff. Went shopping like crazy before that trip. Lots of toys for the kids. Lots of writing stuff. My gf was a teacher there and they didnt have paper for the classrooms so I brought that, pencils, crayons.. On and on.. Also rebuilt my GF house over a period of about 9 months. Put an addition on, got running water and all sorts of upgrades for the house. I didnt do the work just paid for it.. Total cost.. 1500.00.. Very cheap by US standards. I do love it on that island but of course being an American with a few dollars is different than living as a Cuban with no cash.

Ponce
28th May 2010, 11:55 AM
I know what you mean.........the first time that I went in 1996 we went to the biggest grocery store in Havana and my whole family grabbed a shopping cart, including the driver, and we all went haywire buying stuff.......there was even two guards following us around.

The bill came to $1,780 and I gave the driver a few of what we bought... a guy in rags standing outside got a can of ham, the floor of the living room was covered with food.......also bought the family a new frig and a 32 inch TV.

Never had so much fun in my life.

Blink
28th May 2010, 12:13 PM
The key to longevity and good health has and always been good sources of water and fresh (unprocessed/unaltered) food. This should be "common" knowledge for everyone. Unfortunately, western cultures don't want to control they're own lives, they want the government to do it so they can play........ Maybe Castro did a good thing by keeping America out of its country......

k-os
30th May 2010, 06:55 PM
The key to longevity and good health has and always been good sources of water and fresh (unprocessed/unaltered) food. This should be "common" knowledge for everyone. Unfortunately, western cultures don't want to control they're own lives, they want the government to do it so they can play........ Maybe Castro did a good thing by keeping America out of its country......

I visited Cuba last year because I was afraid that Obama would open up trade to Cuba. I wanted to see it before it became corporatized (is that a word?), as many places in the world has been.

I really don't know enough facts about Castro to have an opinion of him one way or another, and I don't believe many people do . . . but I do think that keeping multinational interests out of Cuba was a very good decision.