PDA

View Full Version : What are you holding

mick silver
31st May 2010, 07:28 AM
lets say the market and all cash went down today what would you and your family be holding that would help get you though till you could grow food , what foods and other stuffs would you all want to have are all ready have . i am looking to up my food and stuff so i am looking for stuff i have missed are not thought of . ponce have a list of stuff that help alot never tought of dav . so lets see some list of things ... thanks mick s .... hey dont move for a few days so all can see

MNeagle
31st May 2010, 07:39 AM
Don't forget about this thread/resource: http://gold-silver.us/forum/preparedness/100-things-you-will-wish-you-had-stored/

Ponce
31st May 2010, 07:42 AM
Well Mr Silver.......like someone told me......."If you don't have it, they don't make it".........but of course I have a lot that are not made anywhere because they are made by me.

madfranks
31st May 2010, 11:58 AM
lets say the market and all cash went down today what would you and your family be holding that would help get you though till you could grow food , what foods and other stuffs would you all want to have are all ready have . i am looking to up my food and stuff so i am looking for stuff i have missed are not thought of . ponce have a list of stuff that help alot never tought of dav . so lets see some list of things ... thanks mick s .... hey dont move for a few days so all can see

As a favor to you Mick, I'll sticky it for a few days. :)

Gaillo
31st May 2010, 02:17 PM
What I want to be holding when it crashes:

Guns, Ammo, Food, Camping equipment, Seeds, Firewood, Livestock, Gold/Silver, Well and pump, Solar panels, Flashlights, Knives, Concrete powder, Tools, Generators...

You know, the usual suspects.

What I don't want to be holding? FRN's... they'll be worthless and will only cause regret that I didn't convert them to something tangible before it was too late.

old steel
31st May 2010, 10:31 PM
We've got a 30' trailer we use for camping. If something bad happens in our immediate area and we can't stay we are hoping we will have enough time to load it up along with a couple extra trucks and bug out to some land farther away that has good drinking well water.

I'ts going to have to be desperate times beyond what i can imagine but look whats happening to the gulf/coast now which no one could see coming before it happened.

BabushkaLady
1st June 2010, 09:24 AM

Guns, Ammo, Food, Camping equipment, Seeds, Firewood, Livestock, Gold/Silver, Well and pump, Solar panels, Flashlights, Knives, Concrete powder, Tools, Generators...

What I don't want to be holding? FRN's... they'll be worthless and will only cause regret that I didn't convert them to something tangible before it was too late.

First aid supplies can never be over emphasized. Any hard work outdoors and you can expect cuts, injuries and emergencies. Prevent infection.

I don't have any Livestock--will probably trade something for chickens when the time comes. I do have a small orchard full of deer and turkeys though at BOL#2.

The big question is how many FRN's is too many? It's such a tightrope to walk and balance not getting stuck holding! I think everyone needs to know their own barter/contributions for not needing FRN's when they are worthless, and be willing to accept they will become kindling at some point.

zap
1st June 2010, 11:00 AM
The big question is how many FRN's is too many? It's such a tightrope to walk and balance not getting stuck holding! I think everyone needs to know their own barter/contributions for not needing FRN's when they are worthless, and be willing to accept they will become kindling at some point.( quote)

That is the question I have,

How many FRN's are to many? ???

StackerKen
1st June 2010, 11:07 AM
"How many FRN's is too many?"

Is a really good question...

Unfortunately for me...it not a problem I need to deal with :(

Poseiden
1st June 2010, 02:10 PM

[color=maroon]

Agreed, you have chosen well, Guns, Ammo, Food, Camping equipment, Seeds, Firewood, Livestock, Gold/Silver, Well and pump, Solar panels, Flashlights, Knives, Concrete powder, Tools, Generators...most everything that is required for the average man, woman and child to survive. What you haven't chosen is this, "The will to live". If you do not have this, then you will not see the future and will perish. No amount of silver, gold, platinum or the like will help you.

Answer2me
1st June 2010, 04:58 PM
mawahahahaha........i am holding my nuts! what else does a man need? You can prepare all your life for one moment, but if that moment never comes you will have prepared in vain.

If you dont own everything in your life (free of dept) then why waste your time preparing or "prepping", for something to do, to give one purpose in life? :conf:

The thought should be "how can i make myself sustainable", not how many cans of spaghetti O's i can stash.

Zilver
1st June 2010, 07:56 PM

Have some egg layers now, but have been thinking about building a big outdoor pen on wheels full of 50 to 100 of these;
(for meat): http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=969;type=avatar ;D

Been reading that it only takes 8 to 10 weeks to grow a chick into a 4 to 5 lb. bird.

Also getting ready to make one of these:
a (Whizbang Inspired) Chicken Plucker :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pbRxIlpuw&feature=related

we have been working on 2 huge gardens

Zilver
1st June 2010, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx8ufXgAXxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6O9ypFKxeg

:conf: :conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

Answer2me
1st June 2010, 08:55 PM
Fantastic! That wiz bang chicken plucker is worth more than a stash of canned spaghetti O's.

Poseiden
2nd June 2010, 01:30 PM
What do you want? Your post means nothing other than to offend the sensible.

Gaillo
2nd June 2010, 01:42 PM

Who are you addressing, sir?

philo beddoe
2nd June 2010, 01:56 PM

Who are you addressing, sir?
answer2me just made to trolling posts..........

tater
3rd June 2010, 07:10 PM
...i am holding my nuts! what else does a man need?...

Not a bad idea actually, with new the sack tapping craze and all.

What else? Water, food, shelter and a way to keep it. Some like minded friends would be nice too, somebody to watch your sack er...I mean back.

Too bad nobody close thinks like tater :(

Poseiden
8th June 2010, 02:38 PM
No trolling here, I posted in the wrong g-s.us forum.
i.e. the "What are you holding" subject, my thinking was, "What are you holding question meant, what are you holding in the way of precious metals? My Bad.

My sincere apologies to you fine people for taking it wrong. Personally though, as far as the "whiz bang chicken plucker" is concerned I think that it would be faster and more expedient to just skin the chicken by hand and stew it.

Just so you know, I've been here since the beginning. I just have spent my time reading and getting reacquainted (in my mind) with a few of you that I knew on gim(1).

gunDriller
27th June 2010, 11:10 AM
i think a clothes dryer could be retrofitted to make it just a cylinder with some velcro on the inside or something, something that will grab onto the feathers a little bit.

then the lint-catcher just gets filled up with feathers.

of course it might dry the chicken a little. i'm not sure if that's good or bad.

wallew
28th June 2010, 01:33 PM
Yup, if you have NOT read FerFal, he has a good book and a great blog...

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

HOW MUCH FRN'S? One month's worth of bills (food, fuel, water, etc) to NOT include your mortgage/rent (write a check for that) Or you vehicle payment - if you have one. This money will be good during the first couple of weeks, before folks REALIZE that these little pieces of paper ARE actually worthless.

But the other 'things' you purchase on a monthly basis, be prepared to pay cash.

And a note on FRN's. The $1 bill is the ONLY bill that does NOT have the metallic stripe. OK, OK, the $2 dollar bill also doesn't have the metallic strip either. But so few people have ever even SEEN a $2, most think they are bogus. I have several new examples.

I would also consider keeping approximately the same amount of extra cash in rolls of change as well.

SO, if you spend approximately $1000 a month, have $1000 in FRN'S ($1 bills would be the best - YOU can give exact change and I'd give odds that ANY merchant accepting cash will be GLAD to have the lower denomination bills.

Plus another $1000 in nickels, dimes, quarters, halfs and dollars in rolled change. As with $1 bills, MOST merchants will be HAPPY to be able to make change early on.

Once everyone realizes that things are NOT going back to normal EVER AGAIN, the FRN's will probably be worthless. As will the change.

SilverMagnet
17th April 2011, 12:11 AM
This thread is older than dust, but one of the main things that was left out and should be included first and foremost is water purification equipment. Dehydration will occur much faster than starvation.